News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Are you down with TPP?

Started by derspiess, May 24, 2016, 04:00:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you favor the Trans-Pacific Partnership?

Yeah, you know me.
15 (44.1%)
No.
9 (26.5%)
Let's just trade away Jaron.
10 (29.4%)

Total Members Voted: 34

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Liep

I'm Jaron on this but against the TTIP.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Jacob

Honestly don't know enough about it, so I voted Jaron.

The wailing on the alt-right and alt-left about the evils of trans-national corporations being above the law and getting billions of dollars from national government from suits about benevolent environmental/ employment policies sounds alarming; on the other hand, it comes from people who seem perpetually alarmed.

In principle I'm for free trade. In practice, I think it's possible that there are some bad decisions being made.

I'd be happy to hear from those of you who've investigated it a bit further.

Maladict

Admiral Yi

celedhring

I'm for free trade in principle, but in these kind of deals the devil is in the details, and there's lots of details that I don't know. So I'll go Jaron too.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

dps

Quote from: celedhring on May 24, 2016, 04:19:46 PM
I'm for free trade in principle, but in these kind of deals the devil is in the details, and there's lots of details that I don't know. So I'll go Jaron too.

Ditto.

Monoriu

I know nothing about it, but I am always for free trade.

I do know one thing.  Parts of the Japanese anime industry hated it.  They have a thriving Dojinshi industry, where people liberally use other people's anime characters and settings to write their own stories.  This is generally tolerated in Japan, as the Dojinshi helps promote the work of the original artists.  A lot of famed manga artists started their careers as Dojinshi.  The reason the Dojinshi are in revolt is because TPP somehow makes Japan enforce their own copyright rules against the Dojinshi.  No idea what became of it. 

CountDeMoney

I'm down with TPP.  It is not just a trade agreement with the most important economic region on the planet, it is strategic US foreign policy, and it is the national security interests of the United States to dictate the terms of the economic environment, not the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank. 

Besides, even without free trade agreements, jobs will get destroyed and shipped overseas anyway to increase shareholder value, might as well poke the panda while we're at it.  At least trade agreements like the TPP have regulatory mechanisms in place to address everything from labor to IP.  We all know what happens when companies do their own thing.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Monoriu on May 24, 2016, 07:58:54 PM
I know nothing about it, but I am always for free trade.

I do know one thing.  Parts of the Japanese anime industry hated it.  They have a thriving Dojinshi industry, where people liberally use other people's anime characters and settings to write their own stories.  This is generally tolerated in Japan, as the Dojinshi helps promote the work of the original artists.  A lot of famed manga artists started their careers as Dojinshi.  The reason the Dojinshi are in revolt is because TPP somehow makes Japan enforce their own copyright rules against the Dojinshi.  No idea what became of it.

Nobody is forced to charge for IP.

Monoriu

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 24, 2016, 08:05:59 PM

Nobody is forced to charge for IP.

I have absolutely no idea about the entire argument.  I don't even read Dojinshi myself. 

LaCroix

if jap companies were OK with fanfics pre-TPP, I wonder what TPP adds that forces their hand

Grey Fox

No. It's trademarks & copyrights demands are appalling.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.