News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Are you down with TPP?

Started by derspiess, May 24, 2016, 04:00:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you favor the Trans-Pacific Partnership?

Yeah, you know me.
15 (44.1%)
No.
9 (26.5%)
Let's just trade away Jaron.
10 (29.4%)

Total Members Voted: 34

The Minsky Moment

My opinion is that the likely direct economic benefits are minimal.  As are the disadvantages.  However, voting it down would be a diplomatic embarrassment and hand regional initiative and economic leadership to the PRC.    IMO it's a no brainer to sign.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

lustindarkness

I'm down with TPP, but I use some Wet Wipes first.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

derspiess

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 25, 2016, 09:36:54 AM
My opinion is that the likely direct economic benefits are minimal.  As are the disadvantages.  However, voting it down would be a diplomatic embarrassment and hand regional initiative and economic leadership to the PRC.    IMO it's a no brainer to sign.

Agree.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

LaCroix

Quote from: viper37 on May 25, 2016, 08:23:37 AM
Instead, I went online and downloaded a torrent.  Since I am a paid subscriber of HBO, if I were to get sued, I could have a defense there, if corporations bother to sue in Canada, which they don't for now.  With the TPP, I would have been sued by HBO for hundreds of thousands of dollars and "fair use" would not have been a legitimate defense.

how many people have lost to successful lawsuits re: illegal downloading of movies? I recall a few instances re: songs a few years back, and I know companies send settlement offers, but I haven't heard of anyone losing a lawsuit in this area.

CountDeMoney

This and a bag of chips.

celedhring

The Japanese seem to be putting a lot of stock on it. Although they may just be grasping at straws at this point, economy-wise.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on May 25, 2016, 12:25:16 PM

Agree.

Yet you cheer on Bernie :hmm:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Liep

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 24, 2016, 04:18:36 PM
Quote from: Liep on May 24, 2016, 04:05:37 PM
I'm Jaron on this but against the TTIP.

Why?

Equalising (or what you would call it) on environment standards or consumer protection could leave the EU pretty poorly battered. And the fact that companies can sue individual countries for lost profits if they think the countries' consumer laws prohibit them from entering that market is another detail I don't care very much for.

I haven't read the agreement, but just heard this from a pro EU and free-trade politician that is worried about the TTIP.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josquius

TTIP in theory is ok. There's too much being made of how it will fuck everything up and force us to privatise health  care and generally go back to victorian times.
I trust the EU to negotiate well to exclude the nasty stuff like that. I also don't think the US is particularly concerned about those markets, it would like them included of course but isn't going to throw away the more innocent stuff for it.
The most telling part of ttip is negotiations are taking a long time.
Though I do wish free movement of people was central to it. :(

Tpp....don't know as much about it though I feel similar. As long as countries aren't been brought down to Americas level then reducing trade barriers is good.
██████
██████
██████

Maladict

I'm not against trade agreements. But healthcare, education and other public services have no place in a trade agreement.
And like Liep said, lowering of environmental and safety standards is a serious concern.

If any of those make it into the final TTIP draft I'm confident the government will veto it, if only to prevent the embarrassment of another referendum.

viper37

Quote from: LaCroix on May 25, 2016, 12:35:17 PM
Quote from: viper37 on May 25, 2016, 08:23:37 AM
Instead, I went online and downloaded a torrent.  Since I am a paid subscriber of HBO, if I were to get sued, I could have a defense there, if corporations bother to sue in Canada, which they don't for now.  With the TPP, I would have been sued by HBO for hundreds of thousands of dollars and "fair use" would not have been a legitimate defense.

how many people have lost to successful lawsuits re: illegal downloading of movies? I recall a few instances re: songs a few years back, and I know companies send settlement offers, but I haven't heard of anyone losing a lawsuit in this area.
In the US, I don't know.  In Canada, it was left in a grey void until last January after being thrown out of court by a judge.  Since then, there has not been any pursuit I am aware of, except for "real" pirates, meaning people who stole digital content from cable and uploaded a stream to be accessible from the internet for 5$/month.  Nothing like the RIAA sueing a family mother for zillions of dollars.

But it could happen.  With TPP, it's going to be easier for American copyright holders to sue canadian citizens, I fear.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Maladict on May 26, 2016, 05:01:41 AM
I'm not against trade agreements. But healthcare, education and other public services have no place in a trade agreement.
And like Liep said, lowering of environmental and safety standards is a serious concern.

If any of those make it into the final TTIP draft I'm confident the government will veto it, if only to prevent the embarrassment of another referendum.
You know, I keep hearing the same argument over&over since Canada signed a bilateral free trade agreement with the US.  Our hospitals will be privatized, our schools will be privatized, the government will be forced to accept American babysitter multinationals to operate the kindergardens, etc, etc.

Did not happen until now, doubt it will ever happen.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Maladict

Quote from: viper37 on May 26, 2016, 01:30:19 PM
Did not happen until now, doubt it will ever happen.

Then why try to include it? It only increases the public's opposition to it.