Main Menu

Bigger than Leicester?

Started by Josquius, May 03, 2016, 12:10:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Barrister on May 03, 2016, 12:56:16 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 03, 2016, 12:20:27 PM
Quote from: Tyr on May 03, 2016, 12:10:37 PM
Has there ever been a bigger sporting shock than Leicester, narrowly avoiding relegation last year and being one of the favourites to go down this year, winning the premier league title at 5000-1 odds?

US beats USSR, mens ice hockey comes to mind.

As mentioned, short tournaments like the Olympics can always mean something strange can happen.  Look at March Madness as well.

I would have said the Royals winning the World Series, but looking back they were 50-1 odds at the start of the season in 2014 (which they then lost in game 7), which came down to 30-1 last year when they did win.

Thinking about it though, 5000-1 is fairly stupid odds to give.  There are only 20 teams competing, and each one of them has a shot at winning it every year.

MLB is tough to consider because results are so random. Small market teams are routinely rather competitive. There is also a soft salary cap and revenue sharing. The NFL should not be considered because teams have dramatic amounts of turnover season to season, there is a level setting draft, extensive revenue sharing, and a salary cap.

I think in a US setting, with the way professional leagues are set up, the only comparables really exist in college athletics. I don't think football can provide one because the system excludes giving really small schools any hope (perhaps if Vanderbilt won the championship this year that might be a comparable), and basketball can't either because it funnels the championship into a short tournament where small schools have guaranteed access.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

celedhring

Forest getting promoted in the late 70s and winning the league and back-to-back European Cups.

Barrister

Fun story on Leicester.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/leicester-citys-stunning-rise-in-two-charts/

Points out that not only did the team come from the bottom of the EPL last year to win it this year, but that they were in soccer's third tier league just seven years ago.  And says the only other team to have risen so dramatically was Ipswich Town in the late 50s to win it all in 1962.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on May 03, 2016, 12:56:16 PM
Thinking about it though, 5000-1 is fairly stupid odds to give.  There are only 20 teams competing, and each one of them has a shot at winning it every year.
Agreed.  Even people who put odds on things for a living are pretty bad at putting odds on unlikely events.  Whether it's 500-1 or 5000-1, it looks pretty long to us, but there is a 10-fold difference.

The Minsky Moment

Lord Burghley, much of the time.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Josquius

I think odds like 5000 to 1 are less of a realistic analysis of odds and more a combination of that plus encouraging people to bet money on almost certain to lose low odds events

Has there ever been a bigger sporting shock than Leicester, narrowly avoiding relegation last year and being one of the favourites to go down this year, winning the premier league title at 5000-1 odds?

Isn't the US one of the top ice hockey teams?
██████
██████
██████

DGuller

Quote from: Tyr on May 03, 2016, 03:40:17 PM
I think odds like 5000 to 1 are less of a realistic analysis of odds and more a combination of that plus encouraging people to bet money on almost certain to lose low odds eve td
Mis-pricing the bet to encourage people to take it would be a very idiotic strategy for a bookie to follow. 

Valmy

Well if we beat Russia NOW in the winter olympics that would be no big deal. But back then we were playing college kids, amateurs, since pros were not allowed back then. The USSR was cheating and pretending like their professional hockey players were employees in some factory someplace that they never even visited. So it was a bunch of kids, not even the top US talent, beating some of the best professionals in the world. Completely absurd. Needless to say we never came close to beating them any other time we played :lol:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

frunk

At the time only amateur players were allowed to play, which means none of the pro US players competed in the Olympics.  In the USSR the "amateur" players all played together regularly and were fully funded by the state to compete in international competitions.

Barrister

I think odds like 5000 to 1 are less of a realistic analysis of odds and more a combination of that plus encouraging people to bet money on almost certain to lose low odds eve td

Not in 1980.

Back then the Olympics did not allow professional athletes.  So all the best American players were disqualified because they played in the NHL.

The USSR got around this by giving its best hockey players fake day jobs, usually with the Red Army, so technically they were still amateurs.

So in 1980 you had the creme of the crop from Russia playing a bunch of college students from the US.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

jimmy olsen

That's one game, doesn't compare to a whole season's worth of games.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Larch

Denmark winning 1992's Euro Cup is a pretty big upset, same as Greece in 2004.

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on May 03, 2016, 12:56:16 PMThere are only 20 teams competing, and each one of them has a shot at winning it every year.

Not an even shot, no.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Yeah, if you're gonna include the US hockey win, then Denmark and Greece's wins in the Euros count, but as has been said countless times, winning a short tourney is not like winning a 9-month league.

This is one of those rare and unlikely occurences and will likely not happen again for 20-30 years. It will be business as usual next year.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

FunkMonk

Wonder what the odds are for Leicester winning the Champions League next year :hmm:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.