News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Bigger than Leicester?

Started by Josquius, May 03, 2016, 12:10:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on May 03, 2016, 04:55:20 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 03, 2016, 12:56:16 PMThere are only 20 teams competing, and each one of them has a shot at winning it every year.

Not an even shot, no.

I never said an even shot.  I said they had "a shot".  And it's not that 's unheard of - Ipswich Town did the same thing back in 1962.  It's just the kind of thing that happens every 50 years or so, apparently.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 03, 2016, 04:21:27 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 03, 2016, 12:20:27 PM
Quote from: Tyr on May 03, 2016, 12:10:37 PM
Has there ever been a bigger sporting shock than Leicester, narrowly avoiding relegation last year and being one of the favourites to go down this year, winning the premier league title at 5000-1 odds?

US beats USSR, mens ice hockey comes to mind.

That's one game, doesn't compare to a whole season's worth of games.

Which suggests Leicester was hugely underrated rather than outmatched.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Archy

What odds do I get for Dover athletic getting in premier league. The next 10 years?

Admiral Yi

How many matches in a Premier League season?

Sophie Scholl

Richard III buried with dignity in Leicester.  Very next season, Leicester City wins.  Coincidence?  :ph34r:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

PDH

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 03, 2016, 05:55:25 PM

20 teams so 39 games.  Leicester won with 2 games left.

Whoops - history math!  38 games
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

FunkMonk

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 03, 2016, 05:55:25 PM

Play home and away versus each team, so 19 times 2; 38.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Richard Hakluyt

It is a long season and the prize rarely goes to an outsider. I'm assuming that somehow the Leicester team somehow became greater than the sum of its parts. Apparently the entire team is valued at £30m (in terms of transfer fees, source : bloke on the BBC), teams like ManU and Chelsea have individual players more expensive than that.

Gups

Quote from: Barrister on May 03, 2016, 05:09:42 PM
Quote from: Josephus on May 03, 2016, 04:55:20 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 03, 2016, 12:56:16 PMThere are only 20 teams competing, and each one of them has a shot at winning it every year.

Not an even shot, no.

I never said an even shot.  I said they had "a shot".  And it's not that 's unheard of - Ipswich Town did the same thing back in 1962.  It's just the kind of thing that happens every 50 years or so, apparently.

No, it was a much more level playing field financially in the 1960s and even up to the early 90s. There was no TV money, no sponsored shorts, hardly any merchandise, no billionaire foreign owners, very few foreign players and even a maximum wage until 1963.

In the 1960s, 8 different teams won the League with lots of other teams making it into the top 3.   

In the 2000s,  only Man U, Chelsea and Arsenal did and only three other teams broke into the top 3 in any of those seasons

Josquius

We should be careful not to imagine the 60s as pre war. Money did matter in the 60s and big teams did often buy up the best players.
But yeah. Nowhere near to the extent of today.

One particularly bizzare thing about this season that not many are pointing out is that Leicesters win coincided with Chelseas implosion :hmm:

An interesting theory I've read is that due to english teams doing so badly in europe of late they've been unable to sign the top top players. Merely the top players.  This has levelled the playing field a little..

I'm excited for the future. With the new Premier league deal European money has really dropped in importance. I doubt we will get a turn around like Leicester again but I do think we are due for a bit more variety in title fights.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on May 03, 2016, 06:02:36 PM
Richard III buried with dignity in Leicester.  Very next season, Leicester City wins.  Coincidence?  :ph34r:

Now is the winter of our discontent
Made glorious summer by this sun of...Leicester?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josephus

Quote from: FunkMonk on May 03, 2016, 05:00:50 PM
Wonder what the odds are for Leicester winning the Champions League next year :hmm:

Not sure. But just read in Globe, Canadian newspaper, that it's unlikely bookies will ever give such long odds again.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Quote from: Tyr on May 04, 2016, 03:02:11 AM
We should be careful not to imagine the 60s as pre war. Money did matter in the 60s and big teams did often buy up the best players.
But yeah. Nowhere near to the extent of today.

One particularly bizzare thing about this season that not many are pointing out is that Leicesters win coincided with Chelseas implosion :hmm:

An interesting theory I've read is that due to english teams doing so badly in europe of late they've been unable to sign the top top players. Merely the top players.  This has levelled the playing field a little..

I'm excited for the future. With the new Premier league deal European money has really dropped in importance. I doubt we will get a turn around like Leicester again but I do think we are due for a bit more variety in title fights.

Doubt it. This was the "perfect storm" if you will.  Leicester won because coincidentally the big four all collapsed early in the season. Leicester's point total wouldn't have won them the league in previous years.

Leicester won't win next year, even with the same players.

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josquius

Leicester and the like won't be challenging at the top much.
But Tottenham, West Ham, Liverpool and other big money established teams will.
The money of getting into Europe will become less significant in making up for doing worse in the league.
██████
██████
██████