News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Bigger than Leicester?

Started by Josquius, May 03, 2016, 12:10:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Has there ever been a bigger sporting shock than Leicester, narrowly avoiding relegation last year and being one of the favourites to go down this year, winning the premier league title at 5000-1 odds?
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on May 03, 2016, 12:10:37 PM
Has there ever been a bigger sporting shock than Leicester, narrowly avoiding relegation last year and being one of the favourites to go down this year, winning the premier league title at 5000-1 odds?

Probably. But that is pretty incredible. Certainly nothing like that in major College or Professional sports in the US comes to mind.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Its a great rare story, but there are others in other sports that went from worst to first.

But I think what makes those stories less significant is that those other leagues have drafts which allow the worst teams to get first chance at the best prospects.  Those other leagues also have salary caps and other restrictions.  It is truly an amazing story that a lowly team is able to rise without that kind of assistance.

Admiral Yi

US beats USSR, mens ice hockey comes to mind.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on May 03, 2016, 12:16:19 PM

Probably. But that is pretty incredible. Certainly nothing like that in major College or Professional sports in the US comes to mind.

The Twins of the early 90s
The Rams and Saints
The Celtics recently
Perhaps even Cleveland in the NBA this year.   But as I said in my earlier post those teams had assistance to get off the ground floor.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 03, 2016, 12:20:27 PM

I thought about that, but it was just one game not a whole season. I was not sure it was comparable :hmm:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

crazy canuck

Meh, one off game.  Leicester won out over a whole season.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 03, 2016, 12:21:23 PM

The Rams and Saints
The Celtics recently
Perhaps even Cleveland in the NBA this year.   But as I said in my earlier post those teams had assistance to get off the ground floor.

Or the 1985 Villanova team. But none of those squads were so bad they were true bottom dwellers. Heck in that Twins series their opponents had also finished last the year before. But being last in a US pro sports division and being among the last in the Premier League are two different things. The Premier League regularly has truly outmatched clubs that have no business being there.

Zanza

Kaiserslautern won the Bundesliga in the late 90s after getting promoted before the season.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on May 03, 2016, 12:23:21 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 03, 2016, 12:21:23 PM

The Rams and Saints
The Celtics recently

Or the 1985 Villanova team. But none of those squads were so bad they were true bottom dwellers. Heck in that Twins series their opponents had also finished last the year before. But being last in a US pro sports division and being among the last in the Premier League are two different things. The Premier League regularly has truly outmatched clubs that have no business being there.

I agree  :)

DGuller

Alan Kulwicki in 1992 in NASCAR was a pretty big long shot, and that was back in the days when to win the championship all 30+ race results counted equally.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

As mentioned, short tournaments like the Olympics can always mean something strange can happen.  Look at March Madness as well.

I would have said the Royals winning the World Series, but looking back they were 50-1 odds at the start of the season in 2014 (which they then lost in game 7), which came down to 30-1 last year when they did win.

Thinking about it though, 5000-1 is fairly stupid odds to give.  There are only 20 teams competing, and each one of them has a shot at winning it every year.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on May 03, 2016, 12:56:16 PM

As mentioned, short tournaments like the Olympics can always mean something strange can happen.  Look at March Madness as well.

I would have said the Royals winning the World Series, but looking back they were 50-1 odds at the start of the season in 2014 (which they then lost in game 7), which came down to 30-1 last year when they did win.

Thinking about it though, 5000-1 is fairly stupid odds to give.  There are only 20 teams competing, and each one of them has a shot at winning it every year.

The number of teams who have won is small.  While it is possible for any team to win it is very highly improbable for any but the top teams to win.

Maladict

Quote from: Barrister on May 03, 2016, 12:56:16 PM
There are only 20 teams competing, and each one of them has a shot at winning it every year.

edit: As CC said, only 5 or so teams are supposed to have a shot at winning in most European leagues.