Black women's book club settles lawsuit with California wine train company

Started by garbon, April 19, 2016, 03:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

These wine trains in Napa are exactly like a booze cruise.  They start off nice and sedate, and end up with a bunch of people sloshed.  The fact that they (mostly) go off without a hitch might be because most of the participants are fairly homogeneous - different groups might well party differently and thus get singled out.

It is not too hard to see that they may well have been treated differently and unfairly.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

jimmy olsen

Quote from: garbon on April 19, 2016, 08:25:05 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 19, 2016, 08:14:04 AM
I feel bad for the two women who lost their jobs because their company cyber-stalks them.

I don't know. Posting on social media is an act done in public. If it was easy enough to link their comments to the incident in question then they deserve what they allegedly got.

Unless I'm reading it wrong, they weren't fired for what they said. They were fired for what the train company said.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 19, 2016, 05:03:11 PM
You have very different wine tour experiences from mine.  Normally by the end of the day people are in a pretty good mood and the exact opposite of quiet and restrained.  Sampling a lot of wines throughout the day seems to have that effect on people.

Sure, they get more lively as the day progresses, but do they get loud and obnoxious?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

PDH

Quote from: derspiess on April 19, 2016, 08:08:55 PM
Sure, they get more lively as the day progresses, but do they get loud and obnoxious?

They can get loud indeed (my aunt grew grapes near Geyserville and was involved in the wine scene), and obnoxious certainly can be in the eyes and ears of the offended.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

crazy canuck

Quote from: derspiess on April 19, 2016, 08:08:55 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 19, 2016, 05:03:11 PM
You have very different wine tour experiences from mine.  Normally by the end of the day people are in a pretty good mood and the exact opposite of quiet and restrained.  Sampling a lot of wines throughout the day seems to have that effect on people.

Certainly loud.  And I suppose if you were there expecting a sedate outing you would probably have thought us obnoxious. 

Not all wine lovers are the kind of cork dorks you envisage.  :)

CountDeMoney

"Cork dorks", I like that.  Has a better ring to it than, say, "fucking douchebag wine snob assholes."

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Now see, that's not constructive.  That's not constructive at all.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

PDH

Yeah, according to B4's stories he never got obnoxious when drunk.
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

Quote from: derspiess on April 20, 2016, 10:11:16 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 20, 2016, 10:04:03 PM
Pretty much everyone gets loud and obnoxious after a few glasses of wine.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/behold/2016/04/19/marcos_alberti_makes_portraits_after_three_glasses_of_wine_in_his_series.html

Only lightweights and people who were already obnoxious.  Stop rationalizing bad behavior.
So, exactly the type of people who would go on a wine train tour. Odd that only one group gets called out for it.  :hmm:

1 Karma Chameleon point

Jaron

Maybe they could have a rear car where parties who might be loud or boisterous can reserve and have fun without disturbing other folks. That might be a good compromise.
Winner of THE grumbler point.