And we're back!

Main Menu

Twilight Struggle is out on Steam

Started by Drakken, April 16, 2016, 06:55:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solmyr

Quote from: Drakken on April 25, 2016, 08:56:50 AM
Quote from: Solmyr on April 25, 2016, 08:52:01 AM
And now Drakken gives me a CIA coup on his turn, suiciding his 17 VP USSR. AFTER using the ops from that card to play a coup himself and getting to Defcon 2. I may not be as crap as I thought. :P

No, I am totally crap with CIA Created. I have a lot of trouble dealing with that card and getting rid of it.

I've found that it's best to just play it asap to get rid of it, and you probably have to eat up the inevitable US coup that it causes. Occasionally I've UN'ed it, but that's not really ideal since it stays in the game that way.

Drakken

I've stopped count of how many games I have lost because of that card. Ask Habs.

bogh

Quote from: Solmyr on April 25, 2016, 09:00:49 AM
Quote from: Drakken on April 25, 2016, 08:56:50 AM
Quote from: Solmyr on April 25, 2016, 08:52:01 AM
And now Drakken gives me a CIA coup on his turn, suiciding his 17 VP USSR. AFTER using the ops from that card to play a coup himself and getting to Defcon 2. I may not be as crap as I thought. :P

No, I am totally crap with CIA Created. I have a lot of trouble dealing with that card and getting rid of it.

I've found that it's best to just play it asap to get rid of it, and you probably have to eat up the inevitable US coup that it causes. Occasionally I've UN'ed it, but that's not really ideal since it stays in the game that way.

Yeah, AR1 and trigger event before ops. He'll get a 1 OP coup, but that's rarely too bad. Otherwise you need to hold it.

https://twilightstrategy.com/2011/12/12/general-strategy-defcon/

Habbaku

I have 6 Languishtas on my friends roster.  Plus me, that brings us to 7.  Just need one more if we want to do a proper bracket tournament.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

bogh

Well, my pace is pretty slow (time zones and steam access), so not sure if you guys have the patience for that...

Happy to keep playing on this version, but in many ways Chantry is a superior implementation, as it allows you to play in any browser (mobile or at work) and is generally more streamlined and cleaner interface wise (not the website, the in game client). Not having to have steam and just keeping a tab open in your browser is way more conducive to me playing at a faster clip.

https://chantry-games.com/

Solmyr

Quote from: Habbaku on April 25, 2016, 10:48:27 PM
I have 6 Languishtas on my friends roster.  Plus me, that brings us to 7.  Just need one more if we want to do a proper bracket tournament.

I have you, Berkut, Tamas, Drakken, and funkmonk. Who is missing?

Habbaku

Bogh is on the list as well.  Though, given his time constraints, maybe shouldn't be?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Solmyr

I can't decide whether Berkut or funkmonk is the slowest player ever.

Also, is there anyone else who responds in a timely manner other than Habbaku and Tamas? Not that it isn't a nice balance (I always lose to one and beat the other), but more people to play would be fun. :P

Berkut

I respond very quickly, except when I am working away from home. Then it might be a day or so.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

FunkMonk

Quote from: Solmyr on May 03, 2016, 02:41:16 PM
I can't decide whether Berkut or funkmonk is the slowest player ever.

Also, is there anyone else who responds in a timely manner other than Habbaku and Tamas? Not that it isn't a nice balance (I always lose to one and beat the other), but more people to play would be fun. :P

I tend to be out most weekends. I try.  :cry:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Berkut

I've found that Habs really isn't hard to beat as long as you get the cards in the most favorable possible order, and he rolls dice really badly.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Habbaku

Even with that awful turn 1-2 hand, I would have been fine if not for the 1-in-6 Korea result.  Going from gaining ~4-6 points in Asia to losing 7 points was the worst.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Habs is a professional card shark, don't let him fool you. 
It's just CDGs, because he can't be bothered to book the flight to Vegas to tear ass at the 21 table at the Bellagio.

Razgovory

I really suck at this game.  It doesn't help that I have no idea what I'm doing.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Drakken

Quote from: Razgovory on May 08, 2016, 01:46:58 PM
I really suck at this game.  It doesn't help that I have no idea what I'm doing.

It can be learned. Habs is really a super teacher, so if you can play against him he'll show you how you could improve.