Merkel allows prosecution of German comedian who mocked Turkish president

Started by Martinus, April 15, 2016, 09:50:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hamilcar

Böhmermann should claim political asylum in America. That'll be entertaining.  :lol:

Brezel

Merkel eases relationship with Erdogan and it will be up to faceless civil servants of prosecutor/courts to throw the case out. It's then easier for Merkel to try and influence Erdogan on things that matter. Otherwise he'll get all bitter and quickly turn Turkey into even worse than it's now.

Martinus

Quote from: Brezel on April 16, 2016, 04:11:37 AM
Merkel eases relationship with Erdogan and it will be up to faceless civil servants of prosecutor/courts to throw the case out. It's then easier for Merkel to try and influence Erdogan on things that matter. Otherwise he'll get all bitter and quickly turn Turkey into even worse than it's now.

:lol:

Oh wait you're serious.

Legbiter

Quote from: Martinus on April 16, 2016, 03:23:24 AM
I love German mentality, by the way. "We have these stupid, likely unconstitutional, obscene laws but we are going to enforce them anyway because we uphold the rule of law."

Sounds like 70 years of denazification haven't really changed their attitudes.

It's more like Germans never do anything in half-measures, whether it's making cars, invading Russia, forcibly displacing themselves with Islam, etc.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Brezel

Quote from: Martinus on April 16, 2016, 04:15:25 AM

:lol:

Oh wait you're serious.

It's just an alternative take on what Merkel could be thinking. I guess she could also be doing Erdogan a personal favor just because they really are such good friends, but somehow I doubt that.:mellow:
Obviously this whole debacle shows the stupidity of having a politician take decisions on matters of enforcement of justice

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Legbiter on April 16, 2016, 04:22:36 AM
I love German mentality, by the way. "We have these stupid, likely unconstitutional, obscene laws but we are going to enforce them anyway because we uphold the rule of law."

It's more like Germans never do anything in half-measures, whether it's making cars, invading Russia, forcibly displacing themselves with Islam, etc.

To misquote Longfellow :

"When they were good they were very very good,
But when they were bad they were horrid."

garbon

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 16, 2016, 05:03:20 AM
Quote from: Legbiter on April 16, 2016, 04:22:36 AM

To misquote Longfellow :

"When they were good they were very very good,
But when they were bad they were horrid."

I kind of wish I'd known the other verses of that poem when I was a kid. I only knew the first one. :blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Crazy_Ivan80

isn't he in hiding already?

Anyway, the only things Erdoswie has achieved so far is making a very big part of Europe aware that this poem exists, having other comedians and satirists repeat or even one up it in other countries (over here calling Erdowo a goatfucker has already been called insulting... to the goats of course) and pissing of more Europeans.

Norgy

Quote from: Zanza on April 16, 2016, 04:10:55 AM

The German penchant for order is something the Nazis used but certainly didn't allow to limit their own actions. Their actions in 1933-34 to establish the dictatorship were decidedly not following the rule of law. So this German adherence to the written law is something that is much older and broader than the Nazis. German history didn't exactly begin in 1933 or 1945.

You're all a bunch of Prussians. Sticklers for the letter of the law.

The background here is of course that the EU desperately needs Erdogan's little fascist state to keep the refugees in Turkey. It just smells really, really bad. Like it's rotten.
Turkey - not only delicious, but also an ally.

Zanza

With his small act of civil disobedience, Böhmermann has caused major embarassment for the government, a massive media echo and the ruling parties have already said that they'll abolish the law in the next months. So I guess as far as satire goes, this was supremely successful.

Razgovory

Your country enforces those laws as well.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Norgy

Quote from: Zanza on April 16, 2016, 08:10:09 AM
With his small act of civil disobedience, Böhmermann has caused major embarassment for the government, a massive media echo and the ruling parties have already said that they'll abolish the law in the next months. So I guess as far as satire goes, this was supremely successful.

I have more faith in satire and comedy than in Marti's drama on any given day.

So to celebrate the uselessness of Slavs, here's a whole site of Slavs squatting: http://slavsquat.com/

Drakken

Here we are in 2016, and still Germany demonstrates that it has not understood that legalism - following the letter of the law even though its normative value is absurd - does not equate justice. Pussies. <_<

O Recep Tayyip, Turkish devil and damned devil's kith and kin, secretary to the dung-street cleaner of Ankara. What the devil kind of idiot are you, that can't slay a hedgehog with your naked arse? The devil excretes, and your mouth eats. You will not, you son of a bitch, make subjects of us Western free-thinkers; we've no fear of you, by land and by sea we sneeze at thee, and fuck your mother.

You Anatolian scullion, goat-fucker of Ankara, and fool of all the world, an idiot before us, grandson of a whore, and the crick in our dick. Pig's snout, mare's arse, slaughterhouse cur, unchristened brow, and again go fuck your mother.

So I declare, you lowlife Despot. You are making your country a mockery of the wise Ataturk's legacy. You wouldn't even be herding the squirrels in my backyard, because you are a buffoon. Deli İbrahim was a political genius and a paragon of wisdom compared to you, but sadly no one dares to strangle you with a silken cord in your latrines so to put a stop to your comical regime. Now I conclude, for I don't know your date and my calendar is set to the most enlightened western Gregorian calendar; the moon's in the sky, the year with the Common Era, the day's the same over here as it is over there; and kiss my arse before fucking your mother.

There. Germany, now sue me.  :moon:

alfred russel

"You won't even be herding the squirrels in my backyard, because you are a buffoon."

All the wise men herd the squirrels in Drakken's backyard?  :hmm:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014