Russian Flyby of USS Donald Cook in Baltic Sea Alarms Experts

Started by jimmy olsen, April 14, 2016, 06:38:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on April 15, 2016, 10:27:40 AM
What it the thing had hit our ship, which it almost did?  Would you be so lackadaisical then?

It would be an international incident, the US would likely demand compensation from the Russian government, but that would be the end of it.  We do this to Russians all the time, you don't think they should shoot down our planes, do you?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

We don't do this to Russia all the time.  AFAIK no US military airplane has ever flown within 30 feet of a Russian navy ship.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 15, 2016, 06:20:11 PM
We don't do this to Russia all the time.  AFAIK no US military airplane has ever flown within 30 feet of a Russian navy ship.

I didn't say the US military has flown within 30 feet of a Russian ship.  I am saying that the US has "buzzed" russian targets.  It has also engaged in mock attack runs.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Berkut

So if the Russians shoot down a US warplane, and say they did so because it flew too close to one of their ships, you would be all "Had it coming to them! Good job Russkies!"?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Brain

Quote from: Berkut on April 15, 2016, 07:08:50 PM

So if the Russians shoot down a US warplane, and say they did so because it flew too close to one of their ships, you would be all "Had it coming to them! Good job Russkies!"?

Badly photoshopped pic or it didn't happen.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

When you start this sentence with the word "so," does that mean you think the part that follows is a natural inference from my statement?  :huh:

CountDeMoney

Do you have to dial in for those National Security Council briefings every morning, or is it more like a downloadable podcast or something?

Berkut

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 15, 2016, 07:47:47 PM

When you start this sentence with the word "so," does that mean you think the part that follows is a natural inference from my statement?  :huh:

Yes. Am I incorrect?

0 rows returned

Razgovory

QuoteDuring one cruise we were being followed – as usual – by a Russian "fishing boat." The scare quotes are a requirement because that ship was bristling with more antennae than quills on a medium sized porcupine and they never did seem to find much time to do any actual fishing. As long as they stayed several miles away toward the horizon we generally ignored them and went about our business. It was obviously a spy ship, but we tracked all their vessels too and it was all in the game. But during one period they decided to get really up close and personal, moving in to within a half mile or so and tracking us off the rear starboard quarter. This went on for a little while until the Captain clearly grew tired of it.

The day was dark and overcast with an extremely low cloud ceiling. In a break from our normal flight schedule, the Air Boss launched five F-14s from one of our Tomcat squadrons which quickly climbed through the cloud ceiling and disappeared. A short time later three of them landed. The guys up top in the signal shack were watching the Russians through binoculars and I happened to be out there one deck below them outside of our air search radar shack. They reported that the Soviets were watching us closely.

Nobody seemed to notice that two of our fighters were still out there until one of them dropped in a flat fall out of the clouds pretty much right on top of the Russian ship. The pilots kicked in the afterburners and they gunned the jets low over the small ship producing a ton of flame and a lot of noise. The signalmen were laughing hysterically as they reported that the Soviet sailors were diving for the decks and down through open hatches. Back in the day this was known as "roasting them." Our second F-14 followed a moment later doing the exact same thing. A short time later the Russians dropped back to a distance of about ten miles.

http://hotair.com/archives/2016/04/14/russian-and-american-jets-buzzing-each-other-are-nothing-new-another-view/

Tonitrus

Quote from: viper37 on April 15, 2016, 10:34:11 AM
Quote from: derspiess on April 15, 2016, 10:27:40 AM
What it the thing had hit our ship, which it almost did?  Would you be so lackadaisical then?
Depends on whose in power.  With Trump, he'd call his friend and say "sorry for placing a destroyer in the path of your aircraft, I swear, I will never do it again!  You know how much your friendship means to me, Vlad."

Or Trump will have our aircraft buzzing Russian ships.  :menace:

Berkut

Discussion with Yi are always so illuminating and instructive.

0 rows returned

grumbler

The US does not buzz Russian ships or aircraft.

They used to, but signed an agreement with the Russians (Soviets, back then) not to do that sort of thing.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on April 16, 2016, 10:52:55 AM

The US does not buzz Russian ships or aircraft.

They used to, but signed an agreement with the Russians (Soviets, back then) not to do that sort of thing.

An agreement was signed but both sides have violated it (the story I posted post-dates that agreement).

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on April 15, 2016, 06:44:10 PM

I didn't say the US military has flown within 30 feet of a Russian ship.  I am saying that the US has "buzzed" russian targets.  It has also engaged in mock attack runs.

"Tower, this is Ghost Rider, requesting a flyby"
"Отрицательно, Ghost Rider , картина полна ."
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?