Russian Flyby of USS Donald Cook in Baltic Sea Alarms Experts

Started by jimmy olsen, April 14, 2016, 06:38:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: derspiess on April 14, 2016, 10:56:16 PM
Hopefully not into one of our ships.

Hopefully, but you can't just shoot them down for being nearby and otherwise not doing anything.

Caliga

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 14, 2016, 06:53:28 PM
They've been pulling this shit for decades, numbnuts.  And there's no grounds to shoot them down.

Plenty of grounds to beat you with a full colostomy bag, though.
:yes:

My dad was in the Navy during Vietnam and he did a cruise or two in the Barents Sea.  Both sides constantly maneuvered aggressively against each other all the time.  Business as usual.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on April 15, 2016, 09:17:36 AM
Quote from: derspiess on April 14, 2016, 10:56:16 PM
Hopefully not into one of our ships.

Hopefully, but you can't just shoot them down for being nearby and otherwise not doing anything.

If it's heading straight for you as if it's making an attacking run, knock it down.  I don't care if there were no bombs or missiles visible-- it still has a 23mm gun, doesn't it?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: derspiess on April 15, 2016, 10:24:40 AM
If it's heading straight for you as if it's making an attacking run, knock it down.  I don't care if there were no bombs or missiles visible-- it still has a 23mm gun, doesn't it?

Cmon, man.  The Russians are not going to start a war with the US by strafing a destroyer in the Baltic.  And even if they did go full retard and strafed the destroyer, you just shoot them down on the way out because they just attacked you.

derspiess

What it the thing had hit our ship, which it almost did?  Would you be so lackadaisical then?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

viper37

Quote from: derspiess on April 15, 2016, 09:01:01 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 15, 2016, 12:03:24 AM
Then I know you're relieved that Hillary Clinton is the only candidate remaining that not only gives a shit about actual foreign policy but is the only one with any experience in it, and that she can count on your support this November.

Yeah, no thanks.  She's a bit too interventionist for my tastes. 
yes, Trump has a non interventionist foreign policy, and since he's going to be friend wiht Putin, even adopt his style of governance as a tribute, these kind of things won't ever happen again.  And as he's pulling out of Sout-East Asia, there will be no more incidents with China either.

Great thinking there.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: derspiess on April 15, 2016, 10:27:40 AM
What it the thing had hit our ship, which it almost did?  Would you be so lackadaisical then?

You mean if it clipped the mast or something?  Yes, I still wouldn't shoot at the sinking airframe holding a now dead pilot.  If it somehow kamikazed into the ship, which it look slike it came the closes aft near the flight deck, you want to use the CIWS to shoot up the smoking hole it made?

derspiess

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on April 15, 2016, 10:28:55 AM
Yes, I still wouldn't shoot at the sinking airframe holding a now dead pilot.

I would.  It'd be fun as hell.

Screw you guys-- my lizard brain wants what it wants.

derspiess

Quote from: viper37 on April 15, 2016, 10:28:13 AM
Then I know you're relieved that Hillary Clinton is the only candidate remaining that not only gives a shit about actual foreign policy but is the only one with any experience in it, and that she can count on your support this November.

yes, Trump has a non interventionist foreign policy, and since he's going to be friend wiht Putin, even adopt his style of governance as a tribute, these kind of things won't ever happen again.  And as he's pulling out of Sout-East Asia, there will be no more incidents with China either.

Great thinking there.

Who said anything about Trump?

viper37

Quote from: derspiess on April 15, 2016, 10:27:40 AM
Depends on whose in power.  With Trump, he'd call his friend and say "sorry for placing a destroyer in the path of your aircraft, I swear, I will never do it again!  You know how much your friendship means to me, Vlad."

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: derspiess on April 15, 2016, 10:30:45 AM
Quote from: viper37 on April 15, 2016, 10:28:13 AM

Great thinking there.

Who said anything about Trump?
Because I have no idea if the other GOP candidates have any foreign policy.  It seems to change from week to week, depending on what Trump says.

derspiess

GOP candidates have not generally distinguished themselves re: foreign policy in this primary-- you'll get no arguments from me there.  The only one that came close to my foreign policy views was Rand Paul.

Richard Hakluyt

Maybe Putin wanted the plane shot down to distract from his thieving kleptocratic ways  :P

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

Quote from: lustindarkness on April 14, 2016, 07:15:27 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on April 13, 2016, 07:50:00 PM
Quote from: mongers on April 13, 2016, 06:24:36 PM
That's quite close:

QuoteAn U.S. Navy picture shows what appears to be a Russian Sukhoi SU-24 attack aircraft making a very low pass close to the U.S. guided missile destroyer USS Donald Cook in the Baltic Sea in this picture taken April 12, 2016 and released April 13, 2016.

Article here:
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-russia-simulatedattack-idUSKCN0XA1UW?utm_source=twitter

:hmm: Tim has not started a thread on this. Yet.

:D
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"