News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Everyone else is wrong

Started by Savonarola, April 13, 2016, 10:05:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Savonarola on April 13, 2016, 01:00:25 PM
There were plenty of black artists in the 90s as well; yet somehow Marshall Mathers was able to make a go of it.   :P

He doesn't sound black. He sounds like a white dude rapping.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Savonarola

Quote from: Valmy on April 13, 2016, 01:01:56 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on April 13, 2016, 01:00:25 PM
There were plenty of black artists in the 90s as well; yet somehow Marshall Mathers was able to make a go of it.   :P

He doesn't sound black. He sounds like a white dude rapping.

Madonna then in the 80s.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Valmy

Quote from: Savonarola on April 13, 2016, 01:03:20 PM
Madonna then in the 80s.

Well anyway. Maybe.

But the subject was Jay Z and I don't think he became big because he sounded black. Or....wait....
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on April 13, 2016, 01:15:45 PM
But the subject was Jay Z and I don't think he became big because he sounded black. Or....wait....

Nah, he brought up the sounding black thing about Meghan Trainor.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: viper37 on April 13, 2016, 12:32:43 PM
Most movies involving Jim Carrey after the Mask and Ace Ventura, I had seen enough.
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind comes to mind.

I feel the exact opposite, hated Carrey's early comedies, loved Eternal Sunshine.

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 13, 2016, 01:36:06 PM
Quote from: Valmy on April 13, 2016, 01:15:45 PM

Nah, he brought up the sounding black thing about Meghan Trainor.

True. I guess I thought he was saying that untalented musicians become breakout stars due to RACIST WHITE APPROPRIATION.

Ok fair enough but plenty of untalented non-white artists also puzzlingly become big stars.

Grey Fox

My opinion on Trainor: it is because she sounds like (and look) a poppier version of Adele.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Savonarola

I don't think Meghan Trainor is untalented; merely annoying.

On that subject, Taylor Swift's music is awful as well.

Edit:  Oh, and Billy Joel as well.  That's someone who everyone else is wrong about.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 13, 2016, 01:52:39 PM
My opinion on Trainor: it is because she sounds like (and look) a poppier version of Adele.

Adele's voice is WAY better.

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 13, 2016, 01:38:05 PM
I feel the exact opposite, hated Carrey's early comedies, loved Eternal Sunshine.

I'm with you.  He's kinda like Robin Williams was:  relied too much early in his career on physical comedy, and only found his niche when he stopped trying to be blatantly funny.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Savonarola on April 13, 2016, 01:52:56 PM
I'm a big fan of 1989. :blush:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Berkut

You know what everyone was all spoogie over that sucked? That stupid movie about the whiny Broadway actor shooting himself. I was so disappointed he wasn't dead at the end. The entire movie was self indulgent crap. Oh, look how clever we are! Look! LOOK PEASANT THIS IS ART!!!!

Barf.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

garbon

Quote from: Savonarola on April 13, 2016, 01:52:56 PM
I don't think Meghan Trainor is untalented; merely annoying.

Edit:  Oh, and Billy Joel as well.  That's someone who everyone else is wrong about.

I've no idea why Taylor Swift is so popular.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

The British version of the office.
I like most things Gervais does.
I like the American office.
But the original is just so.....dull
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

The Usual Suspects.  A big in joke played on the viewer.