What's your first answer to this problem?

Started by Martinus, April 27, 2016, 12:49:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What's your first answer to this problem?

[spoiler]Answer A[/spoiler]
17 (44.7%)
[spoiler]Answer B[/spoiler]
15 (39.5%)
Other?
6 (15.8%)

Total Members Voted: 38

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.

Razgovory

Quote from: merithyn on May 02, 2016, 12:40:38 PM
Quote from: grumbler on May 01, 2016, 02:46:53 PM
Quote from: Maximus on May 01, 2016, 12:31:35 PM
Quote from: grumbler on May 01, 2016, 09:52:22 AM
Grammar has a specific meaning in linguistics; it isn't a catch-all word that means whatever you want it to mean.

As a linguist, I can excuse your non-linguist misunderstanding of the term "grammar" (after all, you have probably seen a poster on the internet correct another poster's punctuation and seen them called "grammar police").  As an academic, I have to reject your misappropriation of the term "grammar" to describe a change in word meaning.  Grammar involves syntax and morphology, not definitions.  As a mathematician, I must reject your contention that there is a "grammar" that allows 2+5 to equal 12 in a base ten numbering system.  As a Languish poster, I am not surprised that you want to double down on your mistake.
:console: I'm sorry your Linguistics for Dummies book took so long to arrive from Amazon. Too bad they don't have a kindle version.

Obviously, yours did arrive.  Too bad it didn't explain to you what grammar was.

Not sure if you're aware, Grumbler, but Max actually is a linguist. It's his area of study for his Masters.

So is Grumbler.  Along with being an admiral, a general, a doctor and a lawyer.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

Razgovory

Quote from: 11B4V on May 02, 2016, 06:15:23 PM
What career field does that benefit

Football.  Taxidermy.  Watch repair. Something along those lines.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on May 02, 2016, 07:18:28 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on May 02, 2016, 06:15:23 PM
What career field does that benefit

Football.  Taxidermy.  Watch repair. Something along those lines.

So, like humanities then.