What's your first answer to this problem?

Started by Martinus, April 27, 2016, 12:49:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What's your first answer to this problem?

[spoiler]Answer A[/spoiler]
17 (44.7%)
[spoiler]Answer B[/spoiler]
15 (39.5%)
Other?
6 (15.8%)

Total Members Voted: 38

crazy canuck

Quote from: derspiess on May 02, 2016, 10:09:22 AM
Math is hard.

Especially for a guy like Grumbler who takes on people like Max and DG who actually know about the subject.

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on May 01, 2016, 05:05:06 PM

It didn't make me feel better or worse, but it had to be done.  "Human beings" like you need to be denounced regularly.

I want to take this moment to denounce Benito Mussolini, Hirohito, Hugo Chavez, Dido, and the current roster of the New England Patriots.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 02, 2016, 10:07:00 AM
But according to Grumbler the + symbol always indicates a summation - or we are all hopelessly lost  :(

:lmfao:  I note that you are not quoting me there, but simply stating that I said something (something I never said, but I assume that you, like dguller, are more into "denouncing" than honesty).

QuoteIt saddens me that a person who claims to teach didn't understand the point Max was making.  But I guess Grumbler never claimed to know anything about math.

I actually made Max's point before he did, and agreed with his point (barring a quibble about the use of the term 'grammar" to describe word/symbol meaning).  it saddens me that someone who claims to be a lawyer is so poor at reading comprehension. :(
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: derspiess on May 02, 2016, 10:09:22 AM
Math is hard.

The difficulty doesn't seem to be math, but rather reading.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

merithyn

Quote from: grumbler on May 01, 2016, 02:46:53 PM
Quote from: Maximus on May 01, 2016, 12:31:35 PM
Quote from: grumbler on May 01, 2016, 09:52:22 AM
Grammar has a specific meaning in linguistics; it isn't a catch-all word that means whatever you want it to mean.

As a linguist, I can excuse your non-linguist misunderstanding of the term "grammar" (after all, you have probably seen a poster on the internet correct another poster's punctuation and seen them called "grammar police").  As an academic, I have to reject your misappropriation of the term "grammar" to describe a change in word meaning.  Grammar involves syntax and morphology, not definitions.  As a mathematician, I must reject your contention that there is a "grammar" that allows 2+5 to equal 12 in a base ten numbering system.  As a Languish poster, I am not surprised that you want to double down on your mistake.
:console: I'm sorry your Linguistics for Dummies book took so long to arrive from Amazon. Too bad they don't have a kindle version.

Obviously, yours did arrive.  Too bad it didn't explain to you what grammar was.

Not sure if you're aware, Grumbler, but Max actually is a linguist. It's his area of study for his Masters.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Barrister

Quote from: merithyn on May 02, 2016, 12:40:38 PM
Grammar has a specific meaning in linguistics; it isn't a catch-all word that means whatever you want it to mean.

As a linguist, I can excuse your non-linguist misunderstanding of the term "grammar" (after all, you have probably seen a poster on the internet correct another poster's punctuation and seen them called "grammar police").  As an academic, I have to reject your misappropriation of the term "grammar" to describe a change in word meaning.  Grammar involves syntax and morphology, not definitions.  As a mathematician, I must reject your contention that there is a "grammar" that allows 2+5 to equal 12 in a base ten numbering system.  As a Languish poster, I am not surprised that you want to double down on your mistake.
:console: I'm sorry your Linguistics for Dummies book took so long to arrive from Amazon. Too bad they don't have a kindle version.

Obviously, yours did arrive.  Too bad it didn't explain to you what grammar was.

Not sure if you're aware, Grumbler, but Max actually is a linguist. It's his area of study for his Masters.

You might even say he is a cunning linguist?   :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on May 02, 2016, 12:18:51 PM
but I assume that you, like dguller, are more into "denouncing" than honesty).
These are not mutually exclusive.  In fact, the reason I denounce you is precisely because I'm honest to a fault.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on May 02, 2016, 12:43:32 PM

Not the Back Room  :mad:

:D

alfred russel

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 02, 2016, 12:44:15 PM

Did you really mean, "not the back door"?  :P
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

crazy canuck

Quote from: alfred russel on May 02, 2016, 12:57:50 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 02, 2016, 12:44:15 PM

Did you really mean, "not the back door"?  :P

That wouldn't be very cunning  :hmm:

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Eddie Teach

Quote from: alfred russel on May 02, 2016, 11:23:04 AM
Quote from: DGuller on May 01, 2016, 05:05:06 PM

It didn't make me feel better or worse, but it had to be done.  "Human beings" like you need to be denounced regularly.

I want to take this moment to denounce Benito Mussolini, Hirohito, Hugo Chavez, Dido, and the current roster of the New England Patriots.

Why Dido? She has a nice set of pipes.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 02, 2016, 01:44:21 PM

Why Dido? She has a nice set of pipes.

Well she did make an oath that led to the Punic Wars.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.