What's your first answer to this problem?

Started by Martinus, April 27, 2016, 12:49:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What's your first answer to this problem?

[spoiler]Answer A[/spoiler]
17 (44.7%)
[spoiler]Answer B[/spoiler]
15 (39.5%)
Other?
6 (15.8%)

Total Members Voted: 38

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 27, 2016, 12:55:05 PM
Surely the plus sign should be replaced with another symbol.
A+B=C is A*B+A=C.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grinning_Colossus

Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: viper37 on April 27, 2016, 02:59:18 PM
A+B=C is A*B+A=C.

That's my point.  "+" already has a narrowly defined meaning.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 27, 2016, 01:56:58 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 27, 2016, 01:42:59 PM
even when I looked at the spoiler couldn't see where the 40 came from  :hmm:

[spoiler]He's keeping a running tally of the totals of all the numbers on the left side of the four "equations"[/spoiler]

Well that's pretty silly.

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 27, 2016, 03:10:11 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 27, 2016, 01:56:58 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 27, 2016, 01:42:59 PM
even when I looked at the spoiler couldn't see where the 40 came from  :hmm:

[spoiler]He's keeping a running tally of the totals of all the numbers on the left side of the four "equations"[/spoiler]

Well that's pretty silly.

Why? When you look at the totals always going up that is the obvious solution :hmm:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on April 27, 2016, 03:19:51 PM
Why? When you look at the totals always going up that is the obvious solution :hmm:

There are 4 equations listed.
The first one listed is correct.
The next two equations are incorrect--those are problems, but the problem "why can't Marti do basic addition?" Is not the problem that is asked to be solved.
The last equation--the one with the "?"--is the only problem to solve.

Therefore, the answer to 8 + 11 = ? is 19, as ? = 19.

Talk about an obvious solution.  :rolleyes:

Eddie Teach

That is one way of looking at it. However, if we assume Marty is asking us to solve for the system and not just the equation, those two faulty equations need to be dealt with.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

dps

Agree with Seedy on this.  The way Marti presents it, all 4 equations are independent;  there is nothing to indicate that the answer to the 4th equation is dependent any information contained in the other 3.  There are ways to state it such that each equation is dependent on those which precede it, but Marti didn't do so.

CountDeMoney

Well, when I see a question mark at the end of a basic addition problem, I answer the question mark.  That's MY policy. [/frankdrebin]

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Monoriu

Answer A.  Couldn't figure out how to get answer B on my own.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Martinus on April 27, 2016, 12:49:59 PM
The problem:

1+4=5
2+5=12
3+6=21
8+11=?

A: [spoiler]96[/spoiler]
B: [spoiler]40[/spoiler]

I am curious because both answers work but I guess which one you go to first tells something about how you think.

A

DGuller

Answer B.  Wouldn't even think of the first approach until I saw the number, and then realized what I had to do given its magnitude.

Admiral Yi

What would be the proper way to notate the question?

I was thinking f(1,4)=5, etc, but that would rule out the sequence, wouldn't it?