What's your first answer to this problem?

Started by Martinus, April 27, 2016, 12:49:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What's your first answer to this problem?

[spoiler]Answer A[/spoiler]
17 (44.7%)
[spoiler]Answer B[/spoiler]
15 (39.5%)
Other?
6 (15.8%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Martinus

The problem:

1+4=5
2+5=12
3+6=21
8+11=?

A: [spoiler]96[/spoiler]
B: [spoiler]40[/spoiler]

I am curious because both answers work but I guess which one you go to first tells something about how you think.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Surely the plus sign should be replaced with another symbol.

Eddie Teach

To get answer A, translate x+y=C into [spoiler]x + xy = C[/spoiler]. I'm curious how to get B, but not enough to keep looking.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

[spoiler]You just keep adding the numbers to get B. So 1+4(=5)+2+5(=12)+3+6(=21)+8+11=40[/spoiler]
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

CountDeMoney

8 + 11 = [spoiler]19[/spoiler], you morons.

Lulz MAFFLETE GOLD

Richard Hakluyt

I got the 96 answer really quick and even when I looked at the spoiler couldn't see where the 40 came from  :hmm:

Reflecting on CdM's comment, are all Polish arithmetic papers like this?

Martinus

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 27, 2016, 01:42:59 PM
I got the 96 answer really quick and even when I looked at the spoiler couldn't see where the 40 came from  :hmm:

:P

Eddie Teach

even when I looked at the spoiler couldn't see where the 40 came from  :hmm:

[spoiler]He's keeping a running tally of the totals of all the numbers on the left side of the four "equations"[/spoiler]
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

I guess the answer A is more of a "nerd answer", as it spots the pattern that works on its own in each equation, even if the others do not exist.

Answer B is simpler but also one for people who see the broader picture. Sort of a "humanist answer".

I picked A, like most Languishites.

frunk

There's also many others:

[spoiler]
1+(1*4)=5
2+(2*5)=12
3+(3*6)=21
8+(4*11)=52 [/spoiler]

[spoiler]
1!/0!+4*1=5
2!/1!+5*2=12
3!/2!+6*3=21
8!/3!+11*4= 6764[/spoiler]

[spoiler]
1!/0!+4*1=5
2!/1!+5*2=12
3!/2!+6*3=21
8!/3!+11*8= 6808[/spoiler]

[spoiler]
1*(four+ne)-1=5
2*(five+two)-2=12
3*(three+six)-3=21
4*(eleven+ight)-4= 36[/spoiler]

[spoiler]
1*(fur+ne)=5
2*(five+two-1)=12
3*(three+six)=21
4*(lvn+ight-1)= 24[/spoiler]

[spoiler]
1*(fur+ne)=5
2*(five+two-1)=12
3*(three+six)=21
8*(lvn+ight-1)= 48[/spoiler]

Since the mathematical expressions aren't used in their normal meaning I'm pretty sure there are innumerable different results that could be considered to "work".

Savonarola

HP calculators use something called reverse Polish notation.  For the longest time I thought that was simply a generic put-down aimed at Pollocks.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Maladict

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on April 27, 2016, 02:00:03 PM
I guess the answer A is more of a "nerd answer", as it spots the pattern that works on its own in each equation, even if the others do not exist.

Answer B is simpler but also one for people who see the broader picture. Sort of a "humanist answer".

I picked A, like most Languishites.

As an engineer I prefer the solution that uses the least amount of numbers.