News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Americans!

Started by Eddie Teach, April 12, 2016, 10:48:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which social group identity do you think is most important to you?

My nationality(American)
12 (23.5%)
My region(Southern, Midwestern, PNW, etc)
5 (9.8%)
My state
3 (5.9%)
My religion
3 (5.9%)
My race
1 (2%)
Other
4 (7.8%)
Non-American, nationality most important
9 (17.6%)
Non-American, region or province most important
7 (13.7%)
Non-American, religion most important
0 (0%)
Non-American, race most important
1 (2%)
Non-American, continent most important
0 (0%)
Non-American, other
3 (5.9%)
I'm just glad I'm not a Mormon like Jaron
3 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Eddie Teach

Except he doesn't have the divided loyalties.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Lettuce doesn't love the USA :P

I consider PR a foreign country that is also part of the USA.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

lustindarkness

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 12, 2016, 11:49:24 AM

Divided? Can you not be loyal to both?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on April 12, 2016, 11:37:54 AM
Well I don't think I would use my actual surname. Still group of people even if not one easy name for the collective.

It's a small group of people that are usually very emotionally attached to each other. As the point of the poll is to ascertain whether people put country or region first, I'm not too keen to learn that everyone puts family ahead of both.  ;)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: lustindarkness on April 12, 2016, 11:51:09 AM

Ok, dual loyalties?

Just saying, Lettuce considers the US an oppressor.

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 12, 2016, 11:53:48 AM
Quote from: garbon on April 12, 2016, 11:37:54 AM
Well I don't think I would use my actual surname. Still group of people even if not one easy name for the collective.

It's a small group of people that are usually very emotionally attached to each other. As the point of the poll is to ascertain whether people put country or region first, I'm not too keen to learn that everyone puts family ahead of both.  ;)

I see :P

Well if Texas started a secessionist war I would be on the unionist side. But I think most of you already knew that.

Sorry I cannot change my vote.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

lustindarkness

I still think "My nationality(American)" would be by vote, but I don't think the gringo that made the poll would agree with me. I will just pretend it reads nationalities.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

lustindarkness

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 12, 2016, 11:54:41 AM
Quote from: lustindarkness on April 12, 2016, 11:51:09 AM

Ok, dual loyalties?

Just saying, Lettuce considers the US an oppressor.

:thumbsup:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

derspiess

Midwestern Pride y'all!

Kidding.  Nationality of course.  Then again Californians are seriously weird so I do wonder if I should be lumped in with them.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadImmortalMan

None. I'm not a demographic, I'm an individual.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on April 12, 2016, 01:58:28 PM
Midwestern Pride y'all!

Kidding.  Nationality of course.  Then again Californians are seriously weird so I do wonder if I should be lumped in with them.

Eh San Francisco is not all of California.

Berkut

Quote from: Barrister on April 12, 2016, 11:04:31 AM
Are you perhaps leaving out loyalty to your ethnic group, which is distinct from your race?  For example someone who identifies with their Irish heritage but couldn't care less about being white?

Or what about political ideology?  I've always felt a great deal of affinity for fellow Conservatives in the US or UK.

I don't know how to answer, because there's no single answer.  At different times I've felt like a Canadian, an Albertan/Manitoban/Yukoner, a Christian, a conservative, and a Ukrainian.

I can help - you are a Conservative first, Canadian lastlastlast.

There you go.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on April 12, 2016, 11:55:44 AM
Well if Texas started a secessionist war I would be on the unionist side. But I think most of you already knew that.
Without going to extremes, let's make it simpler, less violent.

The Federal government, and the most populous States (with the most representatives in the House) propose a law that they believe is very beneficial to a part of the US but is actually very detrimental, at least in the short-mid term to Texas.  Somehow, they managed to convince just enough senators to vote for it and it comes in effect.  Texas is on the war path, it won't let itself be destroyed like that (not to be taken literally, this is not a repeat of 1860).

Who do you side with?

Same for BB.  The NDP comes into power and pushes for a complete stop to oil production in Canada.  7 provinces out of 10 think this is a great move, we can live free of slaves- I mean, oil, sorry ;)  One province, BC, is on the fence.  They are somewhat sympathetic to Alberta's desires to export its natural resource.

The NPD has the support of the Liberal Party and the Bloc Québécois; only the Conservative Party, with a solid base in Alberta, half the ridings in Saskatchewan and a few other MPs here&there opposes the move.

Alberta is on the war path.  Talks of secession increases.  The Wild Rose party is now proposing seperation on its official platform.  There is talk of an alliance between them and the alberta Cons to overthrow the minority NPD government before the 1st budget.  The Wild Rose and Cons make no guarantee they will not propose seperation, if the law is officially sanctionned in its current form. 

The Federal government refuses to move on the subject, and they use all their pressure to block any attempts from Alberta to finance itself on the canadian markets to further develop its economy by building a pipeline through the rockies.

Where does your loyalty lies?  With the rightfully, democratically elected of your country that wants to screw you?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on April 12, 2016, 02:35:38 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 12, 2016, 11:04:31 AM
Are you perhaps leaving out loyalty to your ethnic group, which is distinct from your race?  For example someone who identifies with their Irish heritage but couldn't care less about being white?

Or what about political ideology?  I've always felt a great deal of affinity for fellow Conservatives in the US or UK.

I don't know how to answer, because there's no single answer.  At different times I've felt like a Canadian, an Albertan/Manitoban/Yukoner, a Christian, a conservative, and a Ukrainian.

I can help - you are a Conservative first, Canadian lastlastlast.

There you go.

:lol:

I actually have some difficulty answering the question.  I am not sure what group I most closely identify with.  If forced to it I would probably say the West Coast of North America.  So not really a region or a nation but fairly close cultural ties throughout.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on April 12, 2016, 02:53:55 PM
Quote from: Valmy on April 12, 2016, 11:55:44 AM
Without going to extremes, let's make it simpler, less violent.

The Federal government, and the most populous States (with the most representatives in the House) propose a law that they believe is very beneficial to a part of the US but is actually very detrimental, at least in the short-mid term to Texas.  Somehow, they managed to convince just enough senators to vote for it and it comes in effect.  Texas is on the war path, it won't let itself be destroyed like that (not to be taken literally, this is not a repeat of 1860).

Who do you side with?

Same for BB.  The NDP comes into power and pushes for a complete stop to oil production in Canada.  7 provinces out of 10 think this is a great move, we can live free of slaves- I mean, oil, sorry ;)  One province, BC, is on the fence.  They are somewhat sympathetic to Alberta's desires to export its natural resource.

The NPD has the support of the Liberal Party and the Bloc Québécois; only the Conservative Party, with a solid base in Alberta, half the ridings in Saskatchewan and a few other MPs here&there opposes the move.

Alberta is on the war path.  Talks of secession increases.  The Wild Rose party is now proposing seperation on its official platform.  There is talk of an alliance between them and the alberta Cons to overthrow the minority NPD government before the 1st budget.  The Wild Rose and Cons make no guarantee they will not propose seperation, if the law is officially sanctionned in its current form. 

The Federal government refuses to move on the subject, and they use all their pressure to block any attempts from Alberta to finance itself on the canadian markets to further develop its economy by building a pipeline through the rockies.

Where does your loyalty lies?  With the rightfully, democratically elected of your country that wants to screw you?

Are you suggesting this as some kind of hypothetical?  Because literally nothing like this is happening.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.