Rhode Islanders want to change name of state to apologize for slavery

Started by Phillip V, June 30, 2009, 12:58:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Neil on June 30, 2009, 08:29:46 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 30, 2009, 07:00:07 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 30, 2009, 06:57:45 PM
I read it wrong, meant Provincetown. :Embarrass:

Yeah when MiM first said Providence, I started thinking he really meant Provincetown.
Indeed.  Providence is the greaseball and scumbag capital of the East Coast.  Well, except for Boston.

Quite. I got them mixed up. Point conceded: Rhode Island is in the third world.

Anyway, taking the Providence part out of the name is a bit like calling the entire UK "Northern Ireland", isn't it?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

jimmy olsen

Yeah when MiM first said Providence, I started thinking he really meant Provincetown.
Indeed.  Providence is the greaseball and scumbag capital of the East Coast.  Well, except for Boston.
If by greaseball you mean Italian I gotta object, Rhode Island is by far the most Italian state in the nation.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 30, 2009, 08:58:57 PM

If by greaseball you mean Italian I gotta object, Rhode Island is by far the most Italian state in the nation.
But when you add in the scumbags, Boston wins out.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

Seemed I exaggerated when I sad by far, we just edge out Connecticut.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on June 30, 2009, 08:35:11 PM
Quite. I got them mixed up. Point conceded: Rhode Island is in the third world.

At any rate, I'd assign Manhattan to be gay capital of the east.  Provincetown is a village.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

Quote from: Caliga on June 30, 2009, 01:05:18 PM
Quote from: Tyr on June 30, 2009, 12:59:04 PM
Its not an island, Rhode island is just a tiny part of it; a part I was unaware even existed until I looked up why it had such a name.

:lol:

Dude, THAT'S WHY it is "Rhode Island and Providence Plantations".

Rhode Island = Rhode (Aquidneck) Island
Providence Plantations = mainland
Exactly.
That's why dropping the second part of the name is stupid :contract:
██████
██████
██████

Caliga

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 30, 2009, 09:05:00 PM
I would assume you only just edge out New Jersey as well.  Seems like more than half of the white people I know from Jersey have Eye-talian last names.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Quote from: Tyr on July 01, 2009, 06:01:40 AM
:huh: I thought you were saying that it's stupid that the state is named "Rhode Island" (or rather generally known as that).

Josquius

Quote from: Caliga on July 01, 2009, 06:51:14 AM
Quote from: Tyr on July 01, 2009, 06:01:40 AM
:huh: I thought you were saying that it's stupid that the state is named "Rhode Island" (or rather generally known as that).
It is a bit but the official name helps explain it. To change the official name to the common name though would just leave it totally daft.
It's like someone from Northern Ireland saying they're British. It makes no sense, they're from Ireland; until you see the country is called the UK of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Caliga on July 01, 2009, 06:49:52 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 30, 2009, 09:05:00 PM
I would assume you only just edge out New Jersey as well.  Seems like more than half of the white people I know from Jersey have Eye-talian last names.
New Jersey 17.9%, Connecticut 18.6%, Rhode Island 19%.

1 Karma Chameleon point

KRonn

Much of Rhode Island has sea shore; lots of beaches. I think it's a rule there that everyone has to have a nice beach within a certain distance of their home.   :)

garbon

Quote from: KRonn on July 01, 2009, 10:52:58 AM
Much of Rhode Island has sea shore; lots of beaches. I think it's a rule there that everyone has to have a nice beach within a certain distance of their home.   :)

Of course we're talking about Northeast which is on the Atlantic. Nice beaches in that part of the world are rather impossible. :(

Caliga