Rhode Islanders want to change name of state to apologize for slavery

Started by Phillip V, June 30, 2009, 12:58:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

QuoteDefenders of the name say that the word "plantation" did not have a negative connotation when Rhode Island was founded in 1636

True, I heard that the Irish plantations were universally loved.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jaron

Good. It is about time America takes steps to right the wrongs of the past.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Jaron on June 30, 2009, 01:03:55 AM
Good. It is about time America takes steps to right the wrongs of the past.
We can retro-abort you?
PDH!

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

KRonn

"Rhode Island and Providence Plantations" - that is quite a lengthy official state name. Time for a change, perhaps. The state wants to drop the "Providence Plantations" part, but how about "Narragansett", named after the huge bay there. Yeah, I like that.   :cool: 

Valmy

What?  No way the old states tend to have cooler names I demand they stay that way.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

They should drop the Rhode Island part instead, it makes them look like retards.
██████
██████
██████

Caliga

Quote from: Tyr on June 30, 2009, 08:06:57 AM
They should drop the Rhode Island part instead, it makes them look like retards.
:yes: Rhodes is in the AEGEAN, morons.  :mad:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Richard Hakluyt

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on June 30, 2009, 01:03:31 AM
True, I heard that the Irish plantations were universally loved.

True but the New England plantations were symbols of religious freedom!  And um...taking Indian land but then we can hardly whitewash that now can we?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Richard Hakluyt

Not really religious freedom as such. More a matter of getting to have your own go at being a bastard to members of different sects  :D