Rhode Islanders want to change name of state to apologize for slavery

Started by Phillip V, June 30, 2009, 12:58:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on June 30, 2009, 08:57:21 AM
Raciss. :)

As far as I know mostly white people worked on the New England Plantations unless what I know of Plymouth Plantation is alot different than what I am told.  Heck Rhode Island outlawed slaver in 1652 for fucksake, so Rhode Island guilt over slavery is ridiculously stupid from a historical point of view.  There never was slavery there that I know of.

It was called Providence Plantation because...well...it was an agricultural settlement.  People need to grow a brain.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 30, 2009, 09:00:49 AM
Not really religious freedom as such. More a matter of getting to have your own go at being a bastard to members of different sects  :D

True :P

But not in Rhode Island they were founded on a ridiculously liberal, for the time, charter and were a refuge for persecuted religious groups.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on June 30, 2009, 09:03:28 AM

As far as I know mostly white people worked on the New England Plantations unless what I know of Plymouth Plantation is alot different than what I am told.  Heck Rhode Island outlawed slaver in 1652 for fucksake, so Rhode Island guilt over slavery is ridiculously stupid from a historical point of view.  There never was slavery there that I know of.

That law was ignored from the late 1680s onward and RI was a big player in the slave trade.

http://www.projo.com/extra/2006/slavery/day1/
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 30, 2009, 09:12:04 AM
That law was ignored from the late 1680s onward and RI was a big player in the slave trade.

Whoops.  Well I can still love Roger Williams even if I now despise Rhode Island and everything it stands for.

But still Roger Williams named it 'Providence Plantations' intending it to NOT have slaves.  I demand his memory be respected!

Caliga

It was called Providence Plantation because...well...it was an agricultural settlement.  People need to grow a brain.
Dude, I know that... but Al Sharpton doesn't, which is who I'm channeling whenever I post in Ebonics.  :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Malthus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 30, 2009, 09:12:04 AM

Dewolf's grave site as pictured gets extra marks for ultra creepiness. Looks like the set for a movie about hauntings.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josquius

Slavery was illegal in England from time immemorial.
Didn't really stop them.
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on June 30, 2009, 09:52:37 AM
Slavery was illegal in England from time immemorial.
Didn't really stop them.

I guess I missed the huge influx of chattel Slavery into England.

I am talking about the colonies here.  I think the rule always was you couldn't bring your slaves with you to Blighty.

Josquius

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 30, 2009, 09:57:32 AM
Quote from: Tyr on June 30, 2009, 08:06:57 AM
They should drop the Rhode Island part instead, it makes them look like retards.
Why?
Its not an island, Rhode island is just a tiny part of it; a part I was unaware even existed until I looked up why it had such a name.

QuoteI guess I missed the huge influx of chattel Slavery into England.

I am talking about the colonies here.  I think the rule always was you couldn't bring your slaves with you to Blighty.
Some did have slaves in Britain still, it took a court case from one of them to confirm this was illegal.
But more the point is the English still profited enourmously out of slavery despite it being illegal at home.
██████
██████
██████

Caliga

Quote from: Tyr on June 30, 2009, 12:59:04 PM
Its not an island, Rhode island is just a tiny part of it; a part I was unaware even existed until I looked up why it had such a name.

:lol:

Dude, THAT'S WHY it is "Rhode Island and Providence Plantations".

Rhode Island = Rhode (Aquidneck) Island
Providence Plantations = mainland

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on June 30, 2009, 12:59:04 PM
Some did have slaves in Britain still, it took a court case from one of them to confirm this was illegal.
But more the point is the English still profited enourmously out of slavery despite it being illegal at home.

So did Rhode Island (though it seems I was wrong about there never being slaves in Rhode Island itself).

But still you are not going to change the name of a place in England because it has a name similar to things that used to be worked by slaves in a different location out of slave guilt right?

jimmy olsen

If we had to rename every place in America with a name that came about because of a whim, mistake, misunderstanding or misinterpretation we'd have to rename at least half the damn country.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 30, 2009, 01:47:53 PM
If we had to rename every place in America with a name that came about because of a whim, mistake, misunderstanding or misinterpretation we'd have to rename at least half the damn country.
I want Kentucky renamed back to its original name, Transylvania. :menace:

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on June 30, 2009, 01:48:27 PM
I want Kentucky renamed back to its original name, Transylvania. :menace:

You want Kentucky to be fought over by Romanians and Hungarians?