Main Menu

Panama Papers

Started by Zanza, April 03, 2016, 03:00:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

Quote from: Solmyr on April 03, 2016, 03:55:57 PM
Quote from: Liep on April 03, 2016, 03:43:34 PM
Quote from: Liep on April 03, 2016, 03:42:19 PM
I suspect the Icelandic PM will have a busy week.

Or maybe not, seems he resigned.

He did? I thought he just walked out of the Guardian's interview.

Yes, yes he did. I was just a little early. :P

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/apr/05/iceland-prime-minister-resigns-over-panama-papers-revelations
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Solmyr

Meanwhile, in Russia nobody is a) surprised, b) bothered, or c) expecting anything to change.

Liep

Quote from: Solmyr on April 05, 2016, 11:06:12 AM
Meanwhile, in Russia nobody is a) surprised, b) bothered, or c) expecting anything to change.

It's all just western propaganda made to make leaders that defy the UN look bad. Iceland's PM, Messi and Jackie Chang was just thrown in there to make it look real.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Solmyr

Quote from: Liep on April 05, 2016, 11:14:02 AM

It's all just western propaganda made to make leaders that defy the UN look bad. Iceland's PM, Messi and Jackie Chang was just thrown in there to make it look real.

Putinophobia is a word now.

Malicious Intent

While the censors in China are so hard at work, they have probably already erased every hint of existence about that fairy tale place called "Panama".

Valmy

Quote from: Solmyr on April 05, 2016, 11:15:31 AM
Putinophobia is a word now.

If I lived in or by Russia I would have this. But is it really irrational?  :ph34r:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Quote from: Malthus on April 05, 2016, 10:33:28 AM
Quote from: Valmy on April 05, 2016, 10:29:27 AM
Quote from: Brazen on April 05, 2016, 08:25:32 AM
Quote from: Legbiter on April 05, 2016, 08:15:45 AM
QuoteThe difference in abuse between the sexes online isn't in the amount but the type. Data shows men get more hate, while women say they get it because they're women.
Yes, men may be threatened with stabbing but are less likely to be threatened with having their throat cut then fucked in the wound until they drown in cum. For example.

And white women are not called racial slurs and threatened with lynching. Online nutcases go for whatever they think will get the most rise out of people.

Modern sensitivities to abuse do have a certain self-perpetuating quality - as long as the asshole trolls know what berserk buttons to push to get their victims to totally freak out, they will keep pushing them - as long as they are protected by cowardly anonymity.

Yeah this is my point - it is not about prejudice as such but about pushing the right buttons. Notice that nowhere I am excusing these assholes - but I am disputing a frequent claim that this is an evidence of wide spread racism/homophobia/mysogyny etc.

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on April 05, 2016, 10:36:49 AM
Modern sensitivities to abuse do have a certain self-perpetuating quality - as long as the asshole trolls know what berserk buttons to push to get their victims to totally freak out, they will keep pushing them - as long as they are protected by cowardly anonymity.

Which is why I believe our anonymity is going to be a thing of the past soon. Which would be sad as I would never post here if it could be tracked back to my real name. It is not that I am saying super controversial things but I wouldn't like it if somebody could search my name and discover my views on abortion or the fact I support Clinton.

Given what kind of shit people post on Facebook under their real names I doubt it will help much.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on April 05, 2016, 11:33:05 AM
Given what kind of shit people post on Facebook under their real names I doubt it will help much.

Yeah and I am not one of them :P

I say 'Happy Birthday' and 'Wow your kid is cute' on Facebook.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on April 05, 2016, 11:35:14 AM
Quote from: Martinus on April 05, 2016, 11:33:05 AM

Yeah and I am not one of them :P

I say 'Happy Birthday' and 'Wow your kid is cute' on Facebook.

Your stance is pretty bizarre, though. Sure, I can tell that I wouldn't post some of the stuff I post here on Facebook (at least not without privacy restrictions) but I don't really have a problem with making it known to people who I am voting for and what my stance on abortion is. And I come from a country that was an authoritarian dictatorship within my lifetime, unlike you.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on April 05, 2016, 11:40:42 AM
Your stance is pretty bizarre, though. Sure, I can tell that I wouldn't post some of the stuff I post here on Facebook (at least not without privacy restrictions) but I don't really have a problem with making it known to people who I am voting for and what my stance on abortion is. And I come from a country that was an authoritarian dictatorship within my lifetime, unlike you.

Everybody feels that way until one of the things they said gets attention from the mob.

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on April 05, 2016, 11:44:37 AM
Quote from: Martinus on April 05, 2016, 11:40:42 AM

Everybody feels that way until one of the things they said gets attention from the mob.

Fortunately, there has been a significant backlash against the online mob mentality lately and I think that epidemic is weakened. Despite efforts of the likes of Solmyr, garbon and other cuckolds in fedoras. :P

Jaron

I don't post much controversial on Facebook but lately I've been going after Berniebots really hard.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Valmy on April 05, 2016, 10:36:49 AM

Which is why I believe our anonymity is going to be a thing of the past soon. Which would be sad as I would never post here if it could be tracked back to my real name. It is not that I am saying super controversial things but I wouldn't like it if somebody could search my name and discover my views on abortion or the fact I support Clinton.

One of the reasons I never donate money to political causes or campaigns. Some future would-be employer might see that and decide I'd be a bad fit or something. I can see the value in full disclosure, but there is definitely a drawback too.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

jimmy olsen

So, new elections in Iceland now that the PM has resigned. Pirate party has been leading the polls for two years.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point