News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Panama Papers

Started by Zanza, April 03, 2016, 03:00:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

OK? Are we supposed to be shocked by something that crazy Azealia says?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

The funniest part is the fact that she reacted to a joke news site and thought it was real. I love when that happens.

I don't know the woman, but she seems a bit off the rocker.

garbon

Rapper more known for her crazy behavior online than her music (though she did have a very popular track like 5 years back).
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

She is the one who called Perez Hilton faggot repeatedly back in the day, right?

I just thought it substantiated the claim from the article posted by Solmyr that strong but controversial women do apparently face death and rape threats online. A bit surprised garbon dismisses it so lightly.

garbon

I'm not surprised that you would trot out a known crazy person just to weakly make your case. But hey by all means, if you want to care about Azealia Banks has to say, go on with your bad self.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on April 05, 2016, 03:44:01 AM
I'm not surprised that you would trot out a known crazy person just to weakly make your case. But hey by all means, if you want to care about Azealia Banks has to say, go on with your bad self.

I am confused - yesterday I was schooled by Solmyr, who insisted we should not make light of online threats against women made by anonymous Internet posters. Today, you are telling me I am unreasonable for paying any attention to online threats against a woman made by a celebrity.

Solmyr

Quote from: LaCroix on April 04, 2016, 09:39:23 PM
people will disregard her point because of her extreme language

They will disregard her point even if she used non-extreme language, so it's not really a good excuse.

Martinus

Quote from: Solmyr on April 05, 2016, 05:31:24 AM
Quote from: LaCroix on April 04, 2016, 09:39:23 PM
people will disregard her point because of her extreme language

They will disregard her point even if she used non-extreme language, so it's not really a good excuse.

Are we still talking about Azealia Banks?

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on April 05, 2016, 03:42:19 AM
She is the one who called Perez Hilton faggot repeatedly back in the day, right?

I just thought it substantiated the claim from the article posted by Solmyr that strong but controversial women do apparently face death and rape threats online. A bit surprised garbon dismisses it so lightly.

I know but then you've never been very bright. :console:

Brazen

Not just strong, controversial women. Mary Beard the classical historian and Caroline Criado-Perez who campaigned to have Jane Austen on banknotes received particularly vile rape and death threats on social media. As have female MPs, non-classically beautiful or overweight celebrities, thin and beautiful celebrities, a girl who dated Harry Styles etc. All punished for the crime of being female and in the public eye.

Solmyr

Quote from: Brazen on April 05, 2016, 06:04:09 AM

Not just strong, controversial women. Mary Beard the classical historian and Caroline Criado-Perez who campaigned to have Jane Austen on banknotes received particularly vile rape and death threats on social media. As have female MPs, non-classically beautiful or overweight celebrities, thin and beautiful celebrities, a girl who dated Harry Styles etc. All punished for the crime of being female and in the public eye.

They were probably blowing it out of proportion and using extreme language, so it's not a problem according to Marti.

Legbiter

lol

People are mean on social media? Mount up Sir Lancelot.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Brazen

Quote from: Solmyr on April 05, 2016, 06:57:11 AM
They were probably blowing it out of proportion and using extreme language, so it's not a problem according to Marti.
Well Marti is being Trollus Maximus of late.

If you wouldn't say something to an individual's face in front of their, and your, mother, don't hide behind a keyboard.

Martinus

So, apparently Emma Watson is the most recent one to have been disowned and cast into the wilderness for starring in L'Oreal's skin lightening cream ad.

http://www.gal-dem.com/perfect-whiteness-the-code-switching-of-european-cosmetic-companies/

:lol:

Legbiter

Online harrassment/hurting feelz is not a very gendered social ill. Except maybe among the professional victims.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/09/04/men-are-harassed-more-than-women-online.html

QuoteThe difference in abuse between the sexes online isn't in the amount but the type. Data shows men get more hate, while women say they get it because they're women.

...The only category in which women got more Twitter abuse than men was journalism: abusive messages accounted for more than 5 percent of the tweets sent to the female journalists and TV presenters in the study and fewer than 2 percent of the ones sent to the male journalists. (However, the most abused male journalist in the sample, controversial ex-CNN host Piers Morgan, was counted as a "celebrity" rather than a journalist; otherwise, he would have single-handedly raised the proportion of abusive tweets to male journalists to almost 6 percent of the total.) While about three-quarters of the offenders were men, about 40 percent of the abusive tweets to women were sent by other women.

...A survey of Internet users conducted by the Pew Research Center last year found that 13 percent of female respondents and 11 percent of male respondents said they had been harassed or stalked online. (While Hess's Pacific Standard article drew on that survey to note that "5 percent of women who used the Internet said 'something happened online' that led them into 'physical danger,'" it made no mention of the fact that 3 percent of the men also reported such an experience.)
Women and men also had very similar concerns about Internet privacy and security; while more women than men (77 vs. 61 percent) had changed their privacy settings to restrict some people from seeing their activities, women were only marginally more likely to have blocked or unfriended someone in the social media or to have asked someone to remove online information posted about them.

And so on.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.