Main Menu

Panama Papers

Started by Zanza, April 03, 2016, 03:00:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Stop posting hate-facts.  :mad:

Legbiter

Quote from: Martinus on April 05, 2016, 08:03:03 AM
So, apparently Emma Watson is the most recent one to have been disowned and cast into the wilderness for starring in L'Oreal's skin lightening cream ad.

http://www.gal-dem.com/perfect-whiteness-the-code-switching-of-european-cosmetic-companies/

:lol:

And it's mostly women tying her to the stake for crimes against socjus.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Brazen

Quote from: Legbiter on April 05, 2016, 08:15:45 AM
QuoteThe difference in abuse between the sexes online isn't in the amount but the type. Data shows men get more hate, while women say they get it because they're women.
Yes, men may be threatened with stabbing but are less likely to be threatened with having their throat cut then fucked in the wound until they drown in cum. For example.

mongers

Quote from: Brazen on April 05, 2016, 08:25:32 AM
QuoteThe difference in abuse between the sexes online isn't in the amount but the type. Data shows men get more hate, while women say they get it because they're women.
Yes, men may be threatened with stabbing but are less likely to be threatened with having their throat cut then fucked in the wound until they drown in cum. For example.

Have you and CdM been PMing each other again?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Legbiter

No that's inaccurate.
QuoteOne blogpost (civilly) critical of Sarkeesian and her supporters offers a fully sourced compilation of online comments wishing death, rape, mutilation and deadly diseases upon Jack Thompson, an activist critical of violent and sexual content in videogames—as well as death threats directed at male videogame developers who ran afoul of their fans. Meanwhile, role-playing game designer James Desborough claims to have been viciously threatened for defending the use of sexual violence as a plot element in games. And film blogger Alex Sandell (Juicy Cerebellum) has described receiving not only a deluge of hate mail but threatening phone calls—sometimes in the middle of the night, and sometimes made to his relatives—after writing negative reviews of the first two Lord of the Rings movies.

...In the political sphere, several conservative male writers and activists have been targeted for rape and death threats, with their phone numbers publicly posted, after producing a documentary critical of the Occupy movement.

..One male victim of cyberstalking, British expatriate novelist James Lasdun, told his story in the 2013 memoir, Give Me Everything You Have: On Being Stalked. Lasdun's stalker, a former creative-writing student whose romantic overtures he had rejected, not only barraged him with abusive messages but emailed his colleagues accusing him of stealing her work, preying on female students, and even setting her up to be raped; she posted similar slanders on websites including Amazon.com and Wikipedia. But an experience like Lasdun's gets no political sympathy; indeed, the review in The New Yorker chided him for failing to admit his "crush" on the woman and his role in leading her on.

You could do a lot of pearl clutching in a similar vein about another victim of horrifying cyberbullying, Donald Trump.  :lol:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Martinus

Yes but I think the mechanism at work here is misinterpreted. I think the underlying goal of the person making a threat is to "get at the person" he or she is threatening - hence the threat is tailored to the victim's perceived vulnerability or trigger. So someone wishing to threaten or insult a gay person will talk about the target dying of AIDS or being tied to a fencepost, a Jewish person is attacked with some sort of a Holocaust reference, and a black person will be called the n-word or threatened with lynching.

This is not to say that the threat is necessarily always motivated by sexuality, race or gender but rather by the harasser trying to be as mean and hurtful as possible. (I mean, I had the "tied to a fence" insult thrown at me here on Languish by people who I know are not homophobic, for example). But by misinterpreting this phenomenon, many activists then go on talking about rampant online racism, homophobia or mysogyny - whereas the cause is simply rampant online equal opportunity assholishness.

Martinus

In fact, to further develop on this trend of misinterpretation, white straight men are figuratively fucked in such reports and the abuse directed at them goes under the radar - because the perceived most popular method of getting under the skin of a straight male is to imply he is a cocksucker - which will get misreported as "homophobic abuse". ;)

Valmy

Quote from: Brazen on April 05, 2016, 06:04:09 AM
Quote from: Martinus on April 05, 2016, 03:42:19 AM
She is the one who called Perez Hilton faggot repeatedly back in the day, right?

I just thought it substantiated the claim from the article posted by Solmyr that strong but controversial women do apparently face death and rape threats online. A bit surprised garbon dismisses it so lightly.
Not just strong, controversial women. Mary Beard the classical historian and Caroline Criado-Perez who campaigned to have Jane Austen on banknotes received particularly vile rape and death threats on social media. As have female MPs, non-classically beautiful or overweight celebrities, thin and beautiful celebrities, a girl who dated Harry Styles etc. All punished for the crime of being female and in the public eye.

Oh yeah it is all about the LOLZ and the trolling. The people who make these threats are doing a wonderful job eroding away free speech online. The sociopaths ruin it for everybody.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on April 05, 2016, 08:42:47 AM
In fact, to further develop on this trend of misinterpretation, white straight men are figuratively fucked in such reports and the abuse directed at them goes under the radar - because the perceived most popular method of getting under the skin of a straight male is to imply he is a cocksucker - which will get misreported as "homophobic abuse". ;)

Well today they accuse you of being a cuckold and wearing a fedora.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

And white women are not called racial slurs and threatened with lynching. Online nutcases go for whatever they think will get the most rise out of people.

The problem is not the threats. It is the actions they do. Doxing and SWATing and so forth. They can get your fired from your job and evicted from your home using online methods or just making a phone call. The threats are just the beginning.

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on April 05, 2016, 10:26:59 AM
Quote from: Martinus on April 05, 2016, 08:42:47 AM

Well today they accuse you of being a cuckold and wearing a fedora.

That last slur really bites.  :(
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on April 05, 2016, 10:29:27 AM

And white women are not called racial slurs and threatened with lynching. Online nutcases go for whatever they think will get the most rise out of people.

Modern sensitivities to abuse do have a certain self-perpetuating quality - as long as the asshole trolls know what berserk buttons to push to get their victims to totally freak out, they will keep pushing them - as long as they are protected by cowardly anonymity.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on April 05, 2016, 10:33:28 AM
Modern sensitivities to abuse do have a certain self-perpetuating quality - as long as the asshole trolls know what berserk buttons to push to get their victims to totally freak out, they will keep pushing them - as long as they are protected by cowardly anonymity.

Which is why I believe our anonymity is going to be a thing of the past soon. Which would be sad as I would never post here if it could be tracked back to my real name. It is not that I am saying super controversial things but I wouldn't like it if somebody could search my name and discover my views on abortion or the fact I support Clinton.

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on April 05, 2016, 10:36:49 AM

Which is why I believe our anonymity is going to be a thing of the past soon. Which would be sad as I would never post here if it could be tracked back to my real name. It is not that I am saying super controversial things but I wouldn't like it if somebody could search my name and discover my views on abortion or the fact I support Clinton.

At least half the forum knows my real name, and the other half could easily discover it.  :unsure: :hmm:

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on April 05, 2016, 10:56:37 AM
Quote from: Valmy on April 05, 2016, 10:36:49 AM

At least half the forum knows my real name, and the other half could easily discover it.  :unsure: :hmm:

True. But it wouldn't just pop up if somebody did a quick search for you. Somebody would actually have to know a bit about you to figure it out.