Trump of the Will: The Donald's foreign policy and his team, it's the best team

Started by CountDeMoney, March 21, 2016, 07:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: grumbler on April 03, 2016, 04:20:44 PM
I'm not sure I understand your point.  Are you saying that it is only possible that he is wrong and I am right about what I believe?

He said you don't seem to understand (Mono's post). That isn't a question of what you believe, but of how you've expressed yourself.

He did say you had faith in our system of checks & balances, but your own posts support that.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 03, 2016, 04:33:23 PM
He said you don't seem to understand (Mono's post). That isn't a question of what you believe, but of how you've expressed yourself. 

I never said a word about Mono's post, so he was fabricating the idea that I didn't seem to understand it.  I understood it completely, of course, and agree with it.  I'd caveat that agreement, though, with the notion that Trump is hardly the first presidential candidate to give foreigners a sense that something is wrong with the US if people like that can be leading contenders for the top office.  He's got the best words of that group of candidates, though.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: grumbler on April 03, 2016, 08:41:50 PM
I never said a word about Mono's post, so he was fabricating the idea that I didn't seem to understand it.

You'd been discussing the same subjects already.

Consider this from Viper's POV. You've been dismissive of his concerns. Naturally, he'll feel you don't understand the gravity of the situation. This doesn't mean he's making things up to slander you.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 03, 2016, 08:57:33 PM
You'd been discussing the same subjects already.

Consider this from Viper's POV. You've been dismissive of his concerns. Naturally, he'll feel you don't understand the gravity of the situation. This doesn't mean he's making things up to slander you.

If it walks like a lie and quacks like a lie, I'm gonna call it a lie.

Consider this from Viper's POV. I've been crushing of his sillier concerns with evidence. Naturally, he'll feel that he can't debate the facts. This mean he's reduced to making things up to slander me.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: Siege on April 03, 2016, 04:46:33 AM
Whoa, non interventionist?
That's it.
I ain't voting for the Trumpminator no more.
How the hell are we going to keep fighting moonslims without interventionism?

Didn't your state already have its primary?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: Berkut on April 03, 2016, 01:18:57 AM
You know viper, just lying out of your ass about fellow posters is really unattractive.
What lies am saying?  That you and Grumbler are less concerned about Trump than I am?  How is it a lie, exactly?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Norgy on April 03, 2016, 06:44:54 AM
Quote from: viper37 on April 01, 2016, 09:52:00 AM
No shit, Sherlock! ;)

Grumbler and Berkut don't seem to understand this though.  They have Faith in their check&balance system and that is about to bite them in the ass.  The problem is, we will all feel the pain.  Well, maybe not you, you already speak Mandarin.  You might have to learn Korean too, just to be safe ;)

I actually think the checks and balances would cancel out any idiocy on Trump's part. Just look at how Congress has been stalling Obama. And, no there's no irony or sarcasm in this.
While a US president still is the most powerful single person on Earth, there's quite a limit as to what he or she can do.

Obama is facing the Tea Party, with a radically different idea about what the US should be.

The Tea Party is not a majority (don't have the exact numbers), but it's a significant force, pretty much stable.  I don't foresee major gains, but a few more seats.

The way I see it, there are a lot of Republicans, Tea Party and others who agree with Trump's vision of the world.

Maybe the people voting Trump will also vote for Democratic or mainstream republican members in Congress when they renew their 1/3 of the seats.  Maybe.  I doubt it, but I could be wrong.  I rather imagine that these people voting for guys like Trump will seek out other people who share parts of his ideas.

Having Trump as a presidential candidate could be very damaging, but as others said, it won't be the first time.  Having him a President, even if there were an hostile Congress to prevent him from making the entirety of his agenda would create chaos among allies.  Eventually, he'd get through some of his stupid legislations through Congress by bargaining on other things.  Or, as he indicated would happen if the GOP blocked him from the nomination, organize violent protests, sorry, not organize, it would simply "happen" like that, how of the spontaneous love his people have for him.

And then Congress would chicken out.

And even if the Supreme Court could make some of "his" laws illegal, by the time it can happen, the damage will already be done.  Just as with Guantanamo and the torture, the damage in foreign relations will already be done.  And even if Trump himself would desire to comply with the ruling, depending on what we're talking, it could take a while to reverse these decisions.

Now, let's imagine a possible scenario of Trump winning by a narrow margin against Clinton with a totally hostile Congress that can't be cowed/pressured/intimidated in doing what he wants them to do.  It's not the Republican party managed to rally the Senate and the House behind an unlikely proposal based on false premise before by attacking the patriotism of all their opponents, anyway.  That has never been before seen and would never happen. ;)

Then, you have the President of the United States, still the most powerful nation on Earth, economically and military, spouting crap about Mexicans, Muslims and probably others.  You have this President that proposes to be friend with Russia, a local bully trying to expand its sphere of influence, and willing to disengage from South Korea, and other places.

That sends a clear message to all tinpot dictators in the world: let's go!

I'm not aware of the fine details, but I'm guessing that removing troops and shutting down bases from South Korea and elsewhere in the world would require congressional approval, so that might not happen.  But, if say, Russia decides to officially invaded Ukraine to protect the russian speaking minority mostly located in eastern Ukraine, Trump could decide to let it go, let Russia do.  And then, how would the Balkans, part of NATO, an organism Trump openly says his not his thing, react?  And then, are we better of, as a the world, with a bigger, stronger, Russia?  That does not require anything to happen other than inaction.

Other countries, other dictators may also be tempted to pull some weirdshit, too.

While I understand some Americans, like Berkut, feeling that it's not the job of the US to police in the world, I disagree with that statement.  We rely on the US as a world leader.  It should not act alone, but it should certainly act and incited others to act to preserve world stability.  While it might be true that war is good for business and that in the long run it makes safer and richer, not all wars are desirable.  And peace is also good for business.  Even mafiosi have learnt that seeking peace to freely commerce rather than all out constant war is more profitable.

So yeah, I still maintain that Trump is bad for business, mostly foreign business at first, but it will eventually catch up with Americans too when they have trouble selling their products oversea, or to latin america.  Poorer americans means less tourists in Canada and less profitable canadian businesses that sells their products to Americans.  Again, very bad for business in the long run.

And you know what's worst?  A guy like that, becoming President, spouting crap about all kind of people and having a net preference toward tinpot dictators, even if kicked out of office after 4 years, the damages will still be felt for a couple of decades.

And we haven't even talked about the global terrorist threat.  On some days, Trump pretends he's isolationist and doesn't want to intervene abroad.  One some others, he says he wants to bomb random countries.  He's hard to follow.
But either way, this is threat that needs to be tackled, militarily and ideologically.  Not by ignoring it, and not by bombing stable, even if not close to US interest, countries.

Now, how likely is it that Trump will become President?  Not very likely, imho.  But he wasn't supposed to get this far either.  And he's there.  And he's got support.  And maybe he won't win unnoposed, but I'm pretty sure he'll win the Republican convention.  And then who knows?  Against Sanders, it's a win, however unlikely it is that Sanders will win.  Against Hillary, for now, she has the advantage.  Who knows if the Republican spin doctors won't have more to grind their teeth on in a few months though?  I've seen some democrats calling her discredited already because of the use of her personal e-mail account at work.  I still think it's overblown, but I don't vote in the US, so it's pretty irrelevant what I think.

All in all, President Trump is less laughable today than it was six months ago.  Six months from now, it could be a near certainty.  There is certainly some apetite in the US public (and even elsewhere) for this kind of talk.

This is why I think Berkut and Grumbler don't fully realize yet the threat Trump poses to America, and by extension the rest of the world.  I don't think they approve of him or fancy the idea voting for him, but there is this casual dismissal since the beginning, from a lot of people who only seem to wake up now.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Norgy

grumbler

Quote from: Norgy on April 04, 2016, 11:22:05 AM
Nope. He's not going to win.

And I am not going to read that wall of text.  I'll assume that, somewhere in there, he says that neither Berkut nor I am not smart enough to understand all that he understands about US politics, and so we are not smart enough to worry about Trump like we should (and he does).

:yawn:

Bayraktar!

Norgy

Quote from: grumbler on April 04, 2016, 02:15:57 PM

And I am not going to read that wall of text.  I'll assume that, somewhere in there, he says that neither Berkut nor I am not smart enough to understand all that he understands about US politics, and so we are not smart enough to worry about Trump like we should (and he does).

Nah, you're journeyman level.
There was something about a Trump presidency being a certainty when he wins the nomination.
We in the Illuminati know this is Hillary's election.
#trumpcanwait #illuminatisfortrump2020

viper37

I hope so, I still believe he can't win, but part of me can't help to notice he's still attracting support, despite the medias all waking up to him.

Denying a probability, even if it's small, that it can happen, is not something I usally do.

viper37

Once upon a time, a great man, according to him, at least, said something that goes like that:
Pretty much every time people here tell you what others believe, rather than quoting those others on what they believe, they are lying. 

11B4V

Damn. G-Man & B-Man given' the V-Man the business.

Highly entertaining.

Bravo, well done gentlemen.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on April 04, 2016, 03:03:20 PM

Once upon a time, a great man, according to him, at least, said something that goes like that:
Pretty much every time people here tell you what others believe, rather than quoting those others on what they believe, they are lying. 

That's why you will note that I am not telling anyone what you believe; I am telling people what I believe is somewhere in the tsunami of rhetoric.  :lol:

You make this too easy.

Bayraktar!

PDH

What does this thread have to do with tits?

If the answer is "nothing", I nominate Lusti to nuke it from orbit.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM