Trump of the Will: The Donald's foreign policy and his team, it's the best team

Started by CountDeMoney, March 21, 2016, 07:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: dps on March 27, 2016, 12:03:40 PM
QuoteTold that sanctions under United States law still bar most American companies from doing business with Iran, he said: "So, how stupid is that? We give them the money and we now say, 'Go buy Airbus instead of Boeing,' right?"

He does kind of have a point there.  Not that I want to defend anything Trump says or does.

And what point is that?

celedhring

That Trump should go to Congress and get those sanctions repealed, naturally.

Razgovory

I think Trump and dps are under the impression we are giving them money.  As far as I know the closest to giving them money is that the US is returning money it took from Iran.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: dps on March 21, 2016, 11:01:47 PM
Quote from: sbr on March 21, 2016, 09:14:50 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 21, 2016, 08:46:53 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on March 21, 2016, 08:39:58 PM
Making a fraudulent seal used to obtain a high ranking government position the emblem of the inspector general's office would be funny in its own way, and something I'd expect from a member of Donald Drumpf's team.

I wikied to check, and it looks like von Steuben was legit.  Maybe de Kalb?

Which one was the Kraut that drilled the army at Valley Forge?

That's weird, I thought it was pretty common knowledge that von Steuben wasn't actually an aristocrat. Strange that his wiki page doesn't even mention the idea in passing somewhere.

Nah, AFAIK the "von" was legit--he was a member of the aristocracy, though it was the lower aristocracy.  OTOH, he did apparently rather inflate his service record from the Prussian Army.

De Kalb wasn't born into the aristocracy, but was elevated to the French nobility for distinguished military service.

This.  He was very minor, non-landed aristocracy.  He definitely inflated his Prussian military career, though a lot of his claims and backstory appear to have been created by The Americans in Paris Team before he was sent over to the colonies.  He added to the myth with his entourage and general demeanor.  He was a pretty good bullshit artist it seems.  The interesting part is that by the end of his life, he had more or less lived up to all of his fake and exaggerated backstory, though with an American background.  He reached the rank of Major General, he became friends with the ruler of a country, and he owned vast tracts of land.  I live about 15 minutes from where he's buried and as part of my National Park Service duties, I rotate the operation of his (re)burial site as part of my duties.  The NPS partnered with the State of New York to keep the von Steuben Memorial and the Oriskany Battlefield sites open and staffed in the mid '00's.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on March 27, 2016, 07:28:01 PM
I live about 15 minutes from where he's buried and as part of my National Park Service duties, I rotate the operation of his (re)burial site as part of my duties.

That's, like, double bonus karma points right there.

11B4V

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on March 27, 2016, 07:28:01 PM
Quote from: dps on March 21, 2016, 11:01:47 PM
Quote from: sbr on March 21, 2016, 09:14:50 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 21, 2016, 08:46:53 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on March 21, 2016, 08:39:58 PM
Making a fraudulent seal used to obtain a high ranking government position the emblem of the inspector general's office would be funny in its own way, and something I'd expect from a member of Donald Drumpf's team.

I wikied to check, and it looks like von Steuben was legit.  Maybe de Kalb?

Which one was the Kraut that drilled the army at Valley Forge?

That's weird, I thought it was pretty common knowledge that von Steuben wasn't actually an aristocrat. Strange that his wiki page doesn't even mention the idea in passing somewhere.

Nah, AFAIK the "von" was legit--he was a member of the aristocracy, though it was the lower aristocracy.  OTOH, he did apparently rather inflate his service record from the Prussian Army.

De Kalb wasn't born into the aristocracy, but was elevated to the French nobility for distinguished military service.

This.  He was very minor, non-landed aristocracy.  He definitely inflated his Prussian military career, though a lot of his claims and backstory appear to have been created by The Americans in Paris Team before he was sent over to the colonies.  He added to the myth with his entourage and general demeanor.  He was a pretty good bullshit artist it seems.  The interesting part is that by the end of his life, he had more or less lived up to all of his fake and exaggerated backstory, though with an American background.  He reached the rank of Major General, he became friends with the ruler of a country, and he owned vast tracts of land.  I live about 15 minutes from where he's buried and as part of my National Park Service duties, I rotate the operation of his (re)burial site as part of my duties.  The NPS partnered with the State of New York to keep the von Steuben Memorial and the Oriskany Battlefield sites open and staffed in the mid '00's.

IMO irrelevant whether he was a low ranking aristocrat or over inflated himself. He didn't really need to. To colonial hillbillies all he needed was the professionalism of a professional army.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Sophie Scholl

Guy's got to be pissed about that memorial.  He requested to be buried in an unmarked grave in his military greatcoat.  Alas, New York wanted to build a road which would have went right over him so they excavated the grave.  During the few days before he was reinterred, someone robbed his corpse of the greatcoat.  Then New York build the Memorial over him.  Whoops.  To hell with your wishes, sir. :lol:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: 11B4V on March 27, 2016, 07:45:02 PM
IMO irrelevant whether he was a low ranking aristocrat or over inflated himself. He didn't really need to. To colonial hillbillies all he needed was the professionalism of a professional army.
Ah, but it was Congress he had to sell himself to.  They were pissed about the massive influx of shitty European officers who came over offering their services for often inflated pricetags.  Especially with how terrible a lot of them were.  Bored or shitty French officers would often leverage their influence at home for commissions.

11B4V

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on March 27, 2016, 07:46:18 PM
Guy's got to be pissed about that memorial.  He requested to be buried in an unmarked grave in his military greatcoat.  Alas, New York wanted to build a road which would have went right over him so they excavated the grave.  During the few days before he was reinterred, someone robbed his corpse of the greatcoat.  Then New York build the Memorial over him.  Whoops.  To hell with your wishes, sir. :lol:

Damn
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on March 27, 2016, 07:49:03 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on March 27, 2016, 07:45:02 PM
Ah, but it was Congress he had to sell himself to.  They were pissed about the massive influx of shitty European officers who came over offering their services for often inflated pricetags.  Especially with how terrible a lot of them were.  Bored or shitty French officers would often leverage their influence at home for commissions.

Nice.  :lol:

MadImmortalMan

Doesn't "questioning NATO' and "embracing non-interventionism" sound like exactly what Europeans want us to do?

Or is that just the ranting teenagers on EUOT?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

The Brain

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 27, 2016, 08:08:36 PM
Doesn't "questioning NATO' and "embracing non-interventionism" sound like exactly what Europeans want us to do?

Or is that just the ranting teenagers on EUOT?

Not just the teenagers on EUOT. Before the 2010 general elections the red-green parties that are now in power said that if they won they would demand the US leave all overseas military bases. Yes, those parties are quite retarded. Of course they haven't actually done this since coming to power in 2014, because they are a ship drifting rudderless with no aim or clue.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.