Who says the Brits don't have a sense of humor?

Started by grumbler, March 21, 2016, 06:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

I think grumbler was genuinely wondering about the identity of people who think Brits don't have a sense of humor.  It looks like no one has come up with an answer yet.

Brazen

Seen on South West trains yesterday:

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 22, 2016, 09:40:48 AM
Perhaps grumbler should've named the thread, "Who says Languish isn't full of clueless autistic shitheads?"

Indeed.  Though British newspapers like the Telegraph report that there are people who think the British lack a sense of humor:

Headline: Arrogant, Unfriendly, and No Sense of Humour what foreign tourists think of the English

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/736311/Arrogant-unfriendly-and-no-sense-of-humour-what-foreign-tourists-think-of-the-English.html

Though, of course, this is just a British newspaper.  What do Brits know about the Brits compared to what Marti "knows" about the Brits?

Dunno why Marti is so set on adding to his reputation as a humorless moron. One would think that, eventually, he would just realize he can count on his body of work to carry his image.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: Brazen on March 23, 2016, 07:17:12 AM
See on South West trains yesterday:

Would be nice if they spent less time on humour and more time on making their trains run properly. <_<
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Brazen

Quote from: grumbler on March 23, 2016, 09:15:11 AM
Perhaps grumbler should've named the thread, "Who says Languish isn't full of clueless autistic shitheads?"

Indeed.  Though British newspapers like the Telegraph report that there are people who think the British lack a sense of humor:

Headline: Arrogant, Unfriendly, and No Sense of Humour what foreign tourists think of the English

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/736311/Arrogant-unfriendly-and-no-sense-of-humour-what-foreign-tourists-think-of-the-English.html

Though, of course, this is just a British newspaper.  What do Brits know about the Brits compared to what Marti "knows" about the Brits?

Dunno why Marti is so set on adding to his reputation as a humorless moron. One would think that, eventually, he would just realize he can count on his body of work to carry his image.
They interviewed tourists from non-Anglophone countries who still think Benny Hill was the apogee of British comedy and have talking poos on prime time television. Yes, we're laughing at you, not with you.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Brazen on March 23, 2016, 10:06:03 AM
Quote from: grumbler on March 23, 2016, 09:15:11 AM

They interviewed tourists from non-Anglophone countries who still think Benny Hill was the apogee of British comedy and have talking poos on prime time television. Yes, we're laughing at you, not with you.

Exactly.  What the fuck would The Telegraph know about England?  Obviously, they made up the quotes about the English lacking a sense of humor because we all know that no one has ever said that.

Man, you Brits sure don't have a sense of humour, do you?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Brazen

Quote from: grumbler on March 23, 2016, 10:24:11 AM
Exactly.  What the fuck would The Telegraph know about England?  Obviously, they made up the quotes about the English lacking a sense of humor because we all know that no one has ever said that.

Man, you furriners really don't understand the British sense of humour, do you?

I'm actually lost at how many levels of irony you're employing here.

On a purely factual level, yes, a British newspaper is reporting on a British agency who interviewed the actual tourists who don't get the British sense of humour because "Our sense of humour is very different. It's dry and quirky. That is one of the things that makes us such a unique destination – we have to get that message across."

The Telegraph at no point editorially concludes the British have no sense of humour.

QuoteItalians rated us the second least funny people in the world.
Ah, those laugh-a-minute Eyeties and their world-renowned comedies.

LaCroix

agree with the british. I can believe that somewhere in britain there is/has been a sense of humor

garbon

Quote from: LaCroix on March 23, 2016, 10:47:07 AM
agree with the british. I can believe that somewhere in britain there is/has been a sense of humor

Well after all, I am in Britain now.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on March 23, 2016, 09:20:19 AM

Would be nice if they spent less time on humour and more time on making their trains run properly. <_<

I see someone is terribly spoiled by the NYC mass transit system.

Malthus

The Brits need humour. Have you ever seen their food?  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Scipio

Quote from: Gups on March 22, 2016, 11:05:38 AM

Who think irony is an adjective.
Antonym: wrinkly.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Scipio

Quote from: Brazen on March 23, 2016, 10:41:05 AM
Quote from: grumbler on March 23, 2016, 10:24:11 AM

Man, you furriners really don't understand the British sense of humour, do you?

I'm actually lost at how many levels of irony you're employing here.

On a purely factual level, yes, a British newspaper is reporting on a British agency who interviewed the actual tourists who don't get the British sense of humour because "Our sense of humour is very different. It's dry and quirky. That is one of the things that makes us such a unique destination – we have to get that message across."

The Telegraph at no point editorially concludes the British have no sense of humour.

QuoteItalians rated us the second least funny people in the world.
Ah, those laugh-a-minute Eyeties and their world-renowned comedies.
La Divina Commedia? The Commedia dell'Arte? I Pagliacci?
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Eddie Teach

The Divine Comedy may be world-renowned, but not for being funny.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?