Who says the Brits don't have a sense of humor?

Started by grumbler, March 21, 2016, 06:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

The National Environment Research Council in Britain thought it would be a good idea to allow the public to name their new research ship, so set up a website to conduct the election.

The winner: RRS Boaty McBoatface

QuoteIn a blow for democracy, the British public has decided the best name for a £200 million ($380 million) ship is 'Boaty McBoatface'.
The Royal Research Ship, at the forefront of British naval engineering, deserved a great name.

Naively thinking the British public would take it seriously, The National Environment Research Council thought it would be a nice idea to ask people online to name the ship.

Everyone was keen to cast their vote. On Sunday morning, the organisation's website was so popular that it crashed.

One name was massively in front of the rest - Boaty McBoatface.

In second place, more than 13,000 votes behind, is the RRS Henry Worsley – named after the explorer who died while attempting to trek the Antarctic in January.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/380-million-ship-may-be-named-boaty-mcboatface-thanks-to-an-online-poll-20160320-gnmtvx.html#ixzz43YVhoXvE

Must be all the immigrants voting...
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

MadBurgerMaker

CountDeMoney

Oh fuck yeah. 

RRS Henry Worsley?  Pfft.  Dead loser.  Might as well gone with Hood.

Boaty McBoatface.  Fuck yeah.  Boaty, the Son of Boatface. 

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

celedhring

Martinus

Err, sorry but did anyone ever say Brits have no sense of humour? Their sense of humour is universally considered to be among the greatest on the planet. Why make a thread title with such a blatantly silly premise?

Josquius

Posted that yesterday.
I hope they at least acknowledge this name
██████
██████
██████

Josephus

I don't know. Who does say the Brits have no sense of humour? :huh:
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Martinus

Quote from: Josephus on March 22, 2016, 08:06:45 AM
I don't know. Who does say the Brits have no sense of humour? :huh:

That was my point, too. grumbles wanted to have a "cool" headline but it backfired.

Solmyr

I suppose you could think so if your image of "Brit" is from the 19th century. It would still be wrong, of course. :bowler:

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on March 22, 2016, 06:38:32 AM
Err, sorry but did anyone ever say Brits have no sense of humour? Their sense of humour is universally considered to be among the greatest on the planet. Why make a thread title with such a blatantly silly premise?

WHOOOOOOOSH
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Perhaps grumbler should've named the thread, "Who says Languish isn't full of clueless autistic shitheads?"

Gups

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 22, 2016, 09:40:48 AM
Perhaps grumbler should've named the thread, "Who says Languish isn't full of clueless autistic shitheads?"

Who think irony is an adjective.

Berkut

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 22, 2016, 09:40:48 AM

Even grumbler should consider having Seedy right his thread headlines for him!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned