Who says the Brits don't have a sense of humor?

Started by grumbler, March 21, 2016, 06:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 23, 2016, 12:44:52 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 23, 2016, 09:20:19 AM

Would be nice if they spent less time on humour and more time on making their trains run properly. <_<

I see someone is terribly spoiled by the NYC mass transit system.

Spoiled or just recognizing how things should be?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

I like to think I'm the exception that proves the rule.  :bowler:

:unsure:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

DGuller

grumbler

Quote from: Brazen on March 23, 2016, 10:41:05 AM
Man, you furriners really don't understand the British sense of humour, do you?

I'm actually lost at how many levels of irony you're employing here.

Yes.  Irony was precisely what I was aiming at.  As for not understanding the British sense of humour, I found my understanding fine when I lived there and every time I have visited.  I'm certainly not the one who is saying the British have no sense of humour, except to say it to you as an ironic comment on your thin-skinned response to the issue.  However, I will say that you seem to have no sense of humor over this.  It really is a funny story, and isn't life-or-death at all.

QuoteOn a purely factual level, yes, a British newspaper is reporting on a British agency who interviewed the actual tourists who don't get the British sense of humour because "Our sense of humour is very different. It's dry and quirky. That is one of the things that makes us such a unique destination – we have to get that message across."

The Telegraph at no point editorially concludes the British have no sense of humour.

The Telegraph is reporting the results of a study.  This is a news story, not an editorial so, no, the Telegraph isn't reaching an editorial conclusion..  The study reported that foreigners gave Britain "low mean scores for being welcoming, having a good sense of humour or friendliness." 

Marti asserted that no one was saying this and that I had simply made up the concept (despite the fact that the line that starts with "who says that..." is not meant to be taken literally, at least in Americanspeak).  I pointed out, rather tongue in cheek, that people had, indeed, said this.  I don't know why you are so sensitive to the charge, even when spoken in jest.   The irony is, of course, that you are exhibiting precisely the kind of behavior the study reported that foreigners noticed.  Yes, we're laughing at you, not with you.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on March 23, 2016, 08:55:11 PM
Yes, we're laughing at you, not with you.
:hmm: Is anyone actually laughing in this thread?

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on March 23, 2016, 09:24:13 PM
I laughed when Brazen used this exact phrase upthread, so decided to re-use it.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Zanza

Boaty McBoatface easily won with four times the votes of the next choice. However, the UK science minister already indicated that they'll review all choices and some were less suitable than others...  :(

Valmy

Quote from: Zanza on April 19, 2016, 01:20:34 PM
Boaty McBoatface easily won with four times the votes of the next choice. However, the UK science minister already indicated that they'll review all choices and some were less suitable than others...  :(

Well of course. Why would anybody actually care what the name of the ship was? They had no stake in it, thus rather silly to let them vote on it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Larch

If they're smart they'll create a mascot with that name for public outreach and stuff like that.

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on April 19, 2016, 01:25:58 PM
They had no stake in it, thus rather silly to let them vote on it.

That seems like a dangerous principle.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on March 23, 2016, 09:24:13 PM

Grumbler laughs at pretty much all my posts, he just can tell us that he does.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on April 19, 2016, 01:44:15 PM
Quote from: Valmy on April 19, 2016, 01:25:58 PM
They had no stake in it, thus rather silly to let them vote on it.

That seems like a dangerous principle.

Yeah? Should people in Denmark vote on what Sweden should be called?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on April 19, 2016, 01:45:10 PM
Grumbler laughs at pretty much all my posts, he just can tell us that he does.

You're a funny guy.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?