News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

GOP isn't the only party with internal issues

Started by CountDeMoney, March 02, 2016, 09:41:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: dps on March 05, 2016, 12:11:09 PM
Religious fundamentalism is not inherently conservative, except on certain social issues.  I've pointed out before that the most fundamentalist President we've ever had was Jimmy Carter (at least since the 19th Century;  Hayes may have been more of a fundamentalist), and President Carter was hardly a hard-right type.

I actually said right-wing not conservative, but what is in your opinion inherently conservative?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on March 05, 2016, 12:31:21 PM
Religious fundamentalism is not inherently conservative, except on certain social issues.  I've pointed out before that the most fundamentalist President we've ever had was Jimmy Carter (at least since the 19th Century;  Hayes may have been more of a fundamentalist), and President Carter was hardly a hard-right type.

I actually said right-wing not conservative, but what is in your opinion inherently conservative?

That makes even less sense. The only inherent right wing attitudes in religious fundamentalism are social conservatism. There isn't anything else inherently right wing there.

dps, perhaps we should stop feeding the troll?

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on March 04, 2016, 09:25:11 AM
Terrorism and extremism are certainly a lovely set of values shared by left and right alike.

But religious extremism implies a social conservative agenda typically.

Which just goes to show that the old left vs. right division doesn't really work any more. The real divide is authoritarianism vs. liberty, imho.

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on March 05, 2016, 12:33:11 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 05, 2016, 12:31:21 PM

That makes even less sense. The only inherent right wing attitudes in religious fundamentalism are social conservatism. There isn't anything else inherently right wing there.

dps, perhaps we should stop feeding the troll?

No, it is not.  Think harder, Marty.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on March 05, 2016, 12:35:11 PM
Terrorism and extremism are certainly a lovely set of values shared by left and right alike.

Which just goes to show that the old left vs. right division doesn't really work any more. The real divide is authoritarianism vs. liberty, imho.

Um the old Right vs Left divide comes from the French Revolution.  The left was more Free Market Capitalism than the right was. So I don't get where this definition came to be universally applied everywhere when that was never considered part of it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on March 05, 2016, 12:46:02 PM
Quote from: Martinus on March 05, 2016, 12:35:11 PM

Um the old Right vs Left divide comes from the French Revolution.  The left was more Free Market Capitalism than the right was. So I don't get where this definition came to be universally applied everywhere when that was never considered part of it.

Even the French revolutionaries weren't right 100% of the time. :contract:

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on March 05, 2016, 01:23:48 PM
Even the French revolutionaries weren't right 100% of the time. :contract:

:o

How dare you!  :mad:

Ok seriously though I was just saying the term has always been a non-exact one where the ideologies in question change depending upon the local politics.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."