Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Tamas

Quote from: Maladict on July 15, 2016, 08:18:26 AM
Quote from: Zanza on July 15, 2016, 06:42:11 AM
Quote from: celedhring on July 15, 2016, 06:33:27 AM
What kind of reforms are being talked about?
Fourth Reich  :P

:D
Thanks Brits for leaving us with an even more dominant Germany  <_<

And it's not even a joke.

And its kinda' sad: millions of Brits died, wounded, and suffered to prevent a Germany-dominated Europe. The EU gave a non-violent method to prevent that. The Brits have thrown that away. 50 years from now, when the USE introduces Continental Blockade 2.0, I wonder what Britain will do.

Sheilbh

For all the football rivalry Germany is very popular in the UK. Widely liked and admired as a model in lots of ways.

It's France we worry about/object to :P

It will be interesting to see how EU develops given that Germany has often positioned herself between the UK and France. Without us she may have to take a more partisan rule which will make leading from the centre far more of a problem.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 15, 2016, 08:44:46 AM
For all the football rivalry Germany is very popular in the UK. Widely liked and admired as a model in lots of ways.

I am surprised since Germany's tireless promotion of green energy has led to such a decline in Coal Mining.

QuoteIt's France we worry about/object to

And that is why you fail.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on July 15, 2016, 08:46:32 AM
And that is why you fail.
No need to tell me. I think the Entente Cordiale should be the cornerstone of our defence and foreign policy and that the Anglo-French union never happening is a great tragedy of the last century :P
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on July 15, 2016, 08:05:38 AM
Quote from: grumbler on July 15, 2016, 07:59:19 AM
Quote from: Valmy on July 15, 2016, 07:15:02 AM
Oh no they had shitloads of fundy Christians running their country well into the 20th century. I was just surprised to see them still at it.

They did?  News to me.

I started typing out a few examples but then realized...no...no this is a trap.

:D  That's what I figured.  Learn something old every day.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on July 15, 2016, 09:00:22 AM

I just knew I would get in a stupid discussion about what qualifies as a fundy or what qualifies as a shit load. And I cannot be bothered. So congrats on your victory.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on July 15, 2016, 09:02:33 AM
Quote from: grumbler on July 15, 2016, 09:00:22 AM

I just knew I would get in a stupid discussion about what qualifies as a fundy or what qualifies as a shit load. And I cannot be bothered. So congrats on your victory.

If you think CoE and Methodists (or baptists, or Quakers) are fundies, you are right that there would have been a discussion.  It would only have been "stupid" in the sense that you are making a stupid argument.

Glad you reconsidered pursuing that.  People might have gotten confused and believed your assertion, had I not challenged it, but all is well now.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

For a while Methodists were pretty much the definition of fundy.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 15, 2016, 08:44:46 AM

It's France we worry about/object to :P

It will be interesting to see how EU develops given that Germany has often positioned herself between the UK and France. Without us she may have to take a more partisan rule which will make leading from the centre far more of a problem.

So you admit to getting it horribly wrong when you intervened in WW1? :P

Richard Hakluyt

I blame the Kaiser, a complete cockwomble.

Tamas

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 15, 2016, 10:19:27 AM
I blame the Kaiser, a complete cockwomble.

No argument there

Sheilbh

Lobby journalists sharing moment from briefing with PM spokesman earlier today.
Hack: Does the PM have full confidence in Andrea Leadsom?
Spokesman: Yes.
Long pause.
Hack: Why?
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 15, 2016, 10:45:12 AM

Well, perhaps Theresa May is not so bad after all. :D

This was already covered up thread.  :P

Maybe Leadsom is planning on the shortest ever ministerial career this century?

I sort of pity her husband, did he not ever tell her to think before speaking or does she suffer from potty-mouth?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

OttoVonBismarck

Methodists are very denominational (i.e. each individual church gets to hold pretty divergent views), so in America at least while the largest "Methodist groups" are "mainline Protestants" a lot of individual Methodist churches are pretty close to evangelical fundamentalist views. I'd say most Methodists here are mainline Christians though.

The Baptists are kinda the same, except the mainline Baptists (mostly members of the American Baptist Convention) are a small minority with the majority of Baptists being evangelicals.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: mongers on July 15, 2016, 10:50:31 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 15, 2016, 10:45:12 AM

Well, perhaps Theresa May is not so bad after all. :D

This was already covered up thread.  :P

Maybe Leadsom is planning on the shortest ever ministerial career this century?

I sort of pity her husband, did he not ever tell her to think before speaking or does she suffer from potty-mouth?

A pic is needed to show a bright smile. :)