Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

mongers

Quote from: grumbler on July 14, 2016, 10:28:53 AM
Quote from: mongers on July 14, 2016, 10:16:58 AM
Quote from: viper37 on July 14, 2016, 09:41:54 AM

I honestly don't care about that shit.  I know journalists love it.  When a competitor gets the story, they all whine about protecting the private life and how their mandate as card carrying journalists forbids them from revealing stuff like that, but as soon as they get a chance, they do it, try to spin it on their own angle to justfiy their own morrally corrupt behavior.

Anyway.  Private is private.  A married guy sucking dicks in an airport is of no concern to me, that's between him and his wife.  If it contradicts his public policies, sure, I want to hear about it.  Otherwise, don't give a damn.  Even if I'd learnt that Stephen Harper was a regular at an Hull strip club I wouldn't have cared.  I don't get all this interest in other people's private life just because they're public figures.  Closet gays abound in the "real world".  Men (or women) cheating on their spouse abound.  Prostitutes are found everywhere because there's demand.  I trace the line at drugs, personally.  Doing drugs should disqualify you from office immediatly.

Somewhat arbitrary, no?

What about alcoholism , gambling, sex addiction?

Everyone has their moral bugaboos.  I'd disqualify anyone who voluntarily watches anime.

Now that I could get behind.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

Apparently Greening is our first education Secretary to have gone to a comp. Which surely can't be true?! :blink:
Let's bomb Russia!

Grey Fox

What's a comp?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

celedhring

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 14, 2016, 10:43:14 AM
What's a comp?

Public British middle school, I believe.

Sheilbh

Comprehensive School. A non-selective state school. What, I don't know, 80-90% of the country attended.
Let's bomb Russia!

Grey Fox

So a regular school. Thank you.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Agelastus

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 14, 2016, 10:48:33 AM
Comprehensive School. A non-selective state school. What, I don't know, 80-90% of the country attended.

I didn't...

Anyway, I prefer to call them "Education to the lowest common denominator facilities".

More established under my supposed hero/ine Margaret Thatcher than under any other Education Secretary. :lol:
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

mongers

Quote from: celedhring on July 14, 2016, 10:47:33 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on July 14, 2016, 10:43:14 AM
What's a comp?

Public British middle school, I believe.

No a state senior school, typically for age 11-16 year olds. Very few are still explicitly called comprehensive schools, most renamed; educating all children together in only modest amounts of streaming when out of fashion.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: mongers on July 14, 2016, 10:30:14 AM
Quote from: grumbler on July 14, 2016, 10:28:53 AM

Everyone has their moral bugaboos.  I'd disqualify anyone who voluntarily watches anime.

Now that I could get behind.

Ok Ségolène.

mongers

Well this amused me, plus it's somewhat political and very slightly related to today's events.

https://mobile.twitter.com/PPEinPPE?p=i

fromtia

Quote from: mongers on July 14, 2016, 11:58:33 AM
Well this amused me, plus it's somewhat political and very slightly related to today's events.

https://mobile.twitter.com/PPEinPPE?p=i

:D
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

Admiral Yi

What's the deal with all the various Oxford colleges?

derspiess

Yeah and why do you guys drive on the wrong side of the road?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Agelastus

Quote from: derspiess on July 14, 2016, 01:13:46 PM
Yeah and why do you guys drive on the wrong side of the road?

Why did you gradually change to driving on the wrong side of the road from 1792 onwards?
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Valmy

Don't the Ivy League schools also do the many colleges thing?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."