Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

garbon

Eagle really should step down now.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on July 13, 2016, 08:18:12 AM
Eagle really should step down now.

She does act like a rabbit caught in the headlights.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on July 13, 2016, 05:26:18 AM
If the answer is no, isn't the militant view Corbyn and his Corbynjugend the only way to reach the workers' paradise?

Asking people to embrace already tried and failed 19th century solutions to 21st century problems has gotten many Republicans elected in the US so he shouldn't lose hope just yet.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on July 13, 2016, 04:50:36 AM
https://www.buzzfeed.com/jasminnahar/if-the-media-wrote-about-theresa-mays-husband-the-way-they-w?utm_term=.cmkgZx4qG#.hj5Ky4Ale

If people would stop clicking on those stories there would be nothing to complain about...but I guess the actual goal is to get people to click on stories about click-bait stories rather than any social commentary.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on July 13, 2016, 08:29:53 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 13, 2016, 04:50:36 AM
https://www.buzzfeed.com/jasminnahar/if-the-media-wrote-about-theresa-mays-husband-the-way-they-w?utm_term=.cmkgZx4qG#.hj5Ky4Ale

If people would stop clicking on those stories there would be nothing to complain about...but I guess the actual goal is to get people to click on stories about click-bait stories rather than any social commentary.

:hmm:

I don't see how in the absence of buzzfeed's existence that we'd see people less likely to click on articles that make it worthwhile for media outlets to focus on the looks of female politicians. After all, they were doing so before buzzfeed existed and they likely will be doing so after buzzfeed folds.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on July 13, 2016, 08:39:38 AM
:hmm:

I don't see how in the absence of buzzfeed's existence that we'd see people less likely to click on articles that make it worthwhile for media outlets to focus on the looks of female politicians. After all, they were doing so before buzzfeed existed and they likely will be doing so after buzzfeed folds.

I was reacting to Buzzfeed's social commentary rather than Buzzfeed's existence. :P

fromtia

Thought Mays apparent jump to the center ( left of the PLP  :lmfao:) was fascinating. Not believing a word of it obvs.
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

garbon

Ah, I just realised as I knew Corbyn wasn't my MP, who my MP is. And I was like I don't know her but then google revealed she is the MP of this fame: :D

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 20, 2014, 06:27:10 PM
So this is weird.

Today's the Rochester and Strood by election. Their (Tory) MP defected to UKIP and voluntarily resigned so the constituency could vote again. Initially the Tories were extremely confident. This MP doesn't have the same personal following as Douglas Carswell, isn't terribly charismatic and Rochester's about 270 on the UKIP list of target seats. In the last few weeks it's looked more or less certain that actually UKIP will win.

Going into this Labour, the main opposition party, four years into an unpopular coalition government had inexplicably settled themselves into their fate of coming third. Just as with Clacton this is the sort of seat that Labour should be trying to win in mid-term by elections and could even win in a general (from my understanding Rochester should be solidly Tory, Strood should be solidly Labour - the predecessor seat was Labour). Until tonight they were happy with coming third and seeing the PM embarrassed especially as there's fears it may prompt more Tory defections to UKIP (if Mark Reckless can survive, anyone can), it was nice seeing him asking Labour, Green and Lib Dem voters to tactically vote Tory and the Labour candidate has won rave reviews. Anyway it didn't matter because all the focus would be on the Tories losing another seat to UKIP.

And then they let someone from Islington do some canvassing. Emily Thornberry the shadow attorney general posted this picture on Twitter with the comment 'Image from Rochester':

Eric Pickles (our Local Government Secretary who spent £30 000 on biscuits for his office) kicked off a massive storm about Islington Labour sneering at English people. That it happened on the same day that there was a devolution debate during which Labour dismissed the idea of English votes for English laws was particularly unfortunate. Working class Labour MPs like Simon Danczuk were equally unimpressed. Initially Labour's press team said there was nothing wrong with the tweet. Then the mood changed. Ed Miliband, we were told, has 'never been so angry' and according to one aide it's 'the angriest I've ever seen him'.

Thornberry initially said it'd been taken out of context and there was prejudice against Islington. But she spoke to Miliband and swiftly apologised. She's now said people should fly the English flag with pride. Then she spoke with Miliband again and has resigned from the shadow cabinet (presumably his rage hit another shade of puce).

So the day after the Tories lose their second seat to UKIP and could face further defections, the front page of the Sun is this:

Meanwhile the Thick of It-ness of the whole situation escalates with shadow Education Secretary Tristram Hunt being wheeled out to tell interviewers that 'we're very much in favour of strong expressions and pride in national identity'. I wouldn't be surprised if, as the Guardian says, this ends with Labour MPs being told to fly the St George's Cross for the cameras. Just think these people could be running the country in about 6 months :mellow:

The best comment was Faisal Islam from Channel 4 that 'this is not shooting yourself in the foot... This is amputating your leg because you lightly stubbed your toe. Extraordinary.' The Mail will go big I imagine, their Deputy Editors tweeting it's indicative of Labour (and other parties) 'loathing' of the white working class. And the FT's Janan Ganesh has pointed out, rightly, grimly that modern British politics is basically the US culture wars, without God :bleeding: :weep:

Sheilbh

All nine junior whips have offered to resign as they're all supporting different leadership contenders. Corbyn didn't accept their resignations.

Never seen resignations declined in those sort of circumstances. Wasn't entirely sure it was possible... :blink:
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on July 13, 2016, 03:37:08 AM
Quote from: mongers on July 12, 2016, 03:08:08 PM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on July 12, 2016, 03:00:31 PM
again, why isn't corbyn behind bars for treason?

Because people who understand democracy, recognise it's tolerance of dissent marks it out from tyranny.

there's dissent and actively taking the side of the enemy. From what I've seen of Corby he falls in the second category.

Who is the 'enemy'?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 13, 2016, 12:12:57 PM
All nine junior whips have offered to resign as they're all supporting different leadership contenders. Corbyn didn't accept their resignations.

Never seen resignations declined in those sort of circumstances. Wasn't entirely sure it was possible... :blink:

Isn't having whips around who are your enemies rather counter to the whole idea of having them? 'Would you make sure all the MPs are actively plotting against me? Thanks.'

Sheilbh

So May's speech is properly One Nation/Christian Democrat in style. Of course Thatcher quoted St Francis (where there is discord may we bring harmony...) but still interesting.

Edit: Also striking, it sounds like the union is a real priority :w00t:
Let's bomb Russia!

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: mongers on July 13, 2016, 12:18:16 PM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on July 13, 2016, 03:37:08 AM
Quote from: mongers on July 12, 2016, 03:08:08 PM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on July 12, 2016, 03:00:31 PM
again, why isn't corbyn behind bars for treason?

Because people who understand democracy, recognise it's tolerance of dissent marks it out from tyranny.

there's dissent and actively taking the side of the enemy. From what I've seen of Corby he falls in the second category.

Who is the 'enemy'?
Hamas, Hezbollah, assorted communists.

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 13, 2016, 12:32:09 PM

That is good to hear.

fromtia

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 13, 2016, 12:32:09 PM
So May's speech is properly One Nation/Christian Democrat in style. Of course Thatcher quoted St Francis (where there is discord may we bring harmony...) but still interesting.

It's a fascinating set of opening remarks, but if she follows through on any of it as actual policy I'll eat my hat.
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.