Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Zoupa

That'll flop fast.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: fromtia on July 07, 2016, 04:45:48 PM

1. The British ruling class of the 1830's were profoundly religious in a way it is hard for contemporary Britons of the working and middle class to understand.

Is it easier for contemporary Britons of the upper class to understand, and if so why? Even if the average upper class person as had an extra class or two on it in university, that isn't enough for them to have an intuitive understanding of it like someone who has really delved into the history of the period.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 07, 2016, 06:29:30 PM
I don't like inverse snobbery either but I'm on Languish and I don't know any Leave voters. The chance of me encountering someone moaning about experts (despite their justifiably strained reputation) is fairly slim.

I don't understand. We had plenty of remain supporters on Languish.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 07, 2016, 03:51:00 AM
I just hate snobbishness and think populism is a symptom not a cause. It's easier and more comforting to blame stupid voters and hood-winking politicians.

Likewise I think it is easier and more comforting to blame snobs instead of facing the reality that time and technology have changed. The politicians are not hood-winking they are just unsure of what to do. Nobody really knows how to address the issues. If Populism provided answers South America would have been a paradise years ago.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

fromtia

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 07, 2016, 10:47:15 PM

Is it easier for contemporary Britons of the upper class to understand, and if so why? Even if the average upper class person as had an extra class or two on it in university, that isn't enough for them to have an intuitive understanding of it like someone who has really delved into the history of the period.

It was community college, in effect. There were no representatives of the upper class present.
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 07, 2016, 06:17:37 PM
The unfairness being?

The benefits accruing to those who were profligate.  The more profligate, the greater the benefit.

The costs accruing to those who were prudent.

Alcibiades

Serious question, why do the British seem to hate the Poles?
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Zanza

Based on the sample size of one Marty, Poles are assholes.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 08, 2016, 12:10:26 AM
The benefits accruing to those who were profligate.  The more profligate, the greater the benefit.

The costs accruing to those who were prudent.

I don't see it.  Who is profligate in this scenario, who is prudent, who is benefitting, who is suffering costs?

Looks to me that if there is benefit for profligacy in this scenario, it relates primarily to the former private bondholders, who knowingly loaned to a uncreditworthy borrower on the expectation of a bailout, and then received the bailout.

The ordinary Greek citizen OTOH got little benefit from all this activity and has suffered the most costs by a very large margin.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Quote from: Alcibiades on July 08, 2016, 08:44:25 AM
Serious question, why do the British seem to hate the Poles?

They are sort of like our Mexicans as a target. Many came in taking lower level jobs so I guess in theory in competition for labour against working class Brits.

Of course, in central London, it is pretty unusual to come across British born service employees. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

All those who don't sympathize with hating Poles and Mexicans are snobs  :mad:

Ed Anger

I just Brexited in the can.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 08, 2016, 09:04:14 AM
I don't see it.  Who is profligate in this scenario, who is prudent, who is benefitting, who is suffering costs?

Looks to me that if there is benefit for profligacy in this scenario, it relates primarily to the former private bondholders, who knowingly loaned to a uncreditworthy borrower on the expectation of a bailout, and then received the bailout.

The ordinary Greek citizen OTOH got little benefit from all this activity and has suffered the most costs by a very large margin.

The profligate is any country that has reached an unsustainable debt level and needs to have their debt monetized.  Are the people on the government payroll, the tax cheats, the users of underpriced services like rail, not "ordinary citizens?"

The prudent is individuals who have amassed private savings.  They would pay the price of decreased real value of assets following inflation.

I agree that private lenders have gotten off scot free.  On the other hand Basel II means they were not totally profit maximizing free agents.

mongers

Since Sunday seven small commercial property funds have suspended withdrawals.

One a good bit larger, Aberdeen Asset Management, is still allowing investors to take out their money, but those individuals are having to accept a 'haircut' of 17% to do so.   :hmm:

Details here:
http://citywire.co.uk/money/aberdeen-imposes-17-exit-penalty-on-property-fund/a931115
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"