Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 05, 2016, 11:28:40 AM
As I say may just be nonsense but I thought maybe because insurance is linked to the employer (right?) and would imagine that would have an effect on at least speculative moves?

It's not nonsense;  it's part of the whole "employment compensation" thingy.  Yes, even with Obamacare, which isn't always the best option.

The main driver of where people have to live is still based on employment; most people go where the jobs are, not necessarily where they want to be.  Unless you're Berkut and you have a 0% unemployment rate wherever you go. 

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on July 05, 2016, 06:22:57 PM
Is Corbyn doing the right thing/much of anything?

Sorry, should have put it as "the right thing". I think he's pretty convinced he's doing the right thing, yeah.

grumbler

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 05, 2016, 05:06:11 PM
Interesting video  :thumbsup:

Indeed.  It demonstrated that the vote (like the US Presidential votes) isn't about the issues, but abut the anger. "We voted for change."  Indeed.  Not change for themselves, because their situation won't change.  But at least the smug bastards can get dragged down closer to their level.  It's a lot like Appalachia.

I'm not sure there is an answer for this.  Cheap labor might attract investment, but their labor wouldn't be cheap.  Subsidizing jobs might work for a while, but would probably be more expensive than just letting them "rot" on the dole, and couldn't be sustained at the level necessary to give careers.  And people like this won't move away to places where job prospects are higher, because the roots of people like this run deeper than for better-educated and more wealthy people.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

OttoVonBismarck

Appalachian white trash are a good example of people with deep roots and systemic poverty. Almost all of their lives would be dramatically better if the large portion of the population that cannot be gainfully employed in Appalachia (which is mostly devoid of serious economic activity) would move elsewhere, but they're like some sort of invasive parasite or weed that ain't going anywhere. You'd more or less need to napalm those hilljacks out of their hollers.

LaCroix

maybe the video later shows better evidence of its assertion that immigration wasn't the main cause, but I closed it at the 3:50 mark when the lady offered a weak excuse for the immigration comments. seemed like she was projecting her own rationale for her bitterness onto these people. guy first mentioned immigration. she then brought up the decimated industries, had him latch onto it, then aggressively asserted immigration is fine and got him to agree--after she'd befriended him by that point. with this encounter, she tries to convince the audience that decimated industries, not immigration, were what angered everyone into voting for brexit. she comes off as just a nutty leftist who thinks everyone is too

Admiral Yi

Making my way through Shelf's video.  Reminds me of Peedy's sig about thinking you know something you don't.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: grumbler on July 05, 2016, 08:15:30 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 05, 2016, 05:06:11 PM
Interesting video  :thumbsup:

Indeed.  It demonstrated that the vote (like the US Presidential votes) isn't about the issues, but abut the anger. "We voted for change."  Indeed.  Not change for themselves, because their situation won't change.  But at least the smug bastards can get dragged down closer to their level.  It's a lot like Appalachia.

I'm not sure there is an answer for this.  Cheap labor might attract investment, but their labor wouldn't be cheap.  Subsidizing jobs might work for a while, but would probably be more expensive than just letting them "rot" on the dole, and couldn't be sustained at the level necessary to give careers.  And people like this won't move away to places where job prospects are higher, because the roots of people like this run deeper than for better-educated and more wealthy people.

Stainforth is in Ed Milliband's constituency btw. Labour got 52% of the vote there even in the recent disastrous General Election.

Paradoxically one of the problems these areas have is a shortage of labour. Plenty of "gissa job" types, but the more dynamic elements of the population have moved elsewhere; a new business would probably have to import managers and skilled staff.............easier to set up shop in Leeds or Manchester.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Richard Hakluyt

celedhring

Boys from the Blackstuff is pretty great. I needed subtitles to understand it though  :lol:

Richard Hakluyt

The lack of jobs is also much exaggerated, as can be seen from the labour participation rates in the various regions of the country :

http://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peopleinwork/employmentandemployeetypes/compendium/participationratesintheuklabourmarket/2015-03-19/participationratesintheuk20141overview#regional-and-international-comparisons

I think part of the problem is that in a digital world it is easy for envy to take root. The tabloids continually run stories on the doings of the rich and famous, it makes a modest income in Doncaster look small, even though they are doing well above the average in a global sense. UK minimum wage is £7.20 an hour and these places are cheap to live in by British standards.

Josquius

Certainly true that celebrity culture is a major problem. Especially with all these people who are famous just for being famous. Way too many kids when asked what they want to be as an adult say "a celebrity".
You don't seem to get this to the same extent in many other European countries.  But then it helps that opportunities for the young are better and clearer.

But no. Unemployment is bad.
Do note that map days 75% unemployment on a regional level.... doesn't help some kid out in Bishop Auckland that there are all these jobs in Newcastle. Even going to interviews can be a very expensive process.

Appalachian white trash are a good example of people with deep roots and systemic poverty. Almost all of their lives would be dramatically better if the large portion of the population that cannot be gainfully employed in Appalachia (which is mostly devoid of serious economic activity) would move elsewhere, but they're like some sort of invasive parasite or weed that ain't going anywhere. You'd more or less need to napalm those hilljacks out of their hollers.
On your bike is easier said than done.
You've no job, no savings, no support structure away from you home town.... so youre expected to just up and move to the big  city? Sleep on the streets until you find a job and get your first months pay?
I had this problem myself when I left university. I was effectively a prisoner in my hometown.  Of course I was never going to find a job there, not even part time crap in a shop, but I couldn't afford to just move.

And that's not considering that people might have mortgages, kids in school, elderly relatives to care for, etc...
██████
██████
██████

garbon

I'm glad in this time of strife that Britain is taking the time to spend time discussing the report findings on events that took place over a decade ago. Pretty important stuff.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on July 06, 2016, 06:07:57 AM
I'm glad in this time of strife that Britain is taking the time to spend time discussing the report findings on events that took place over a decade ago. Pretty important stuff.

Unlike the United States, it seems they actually want to know why they went headlong into a bullshit war.

Richard Hakluyt

So far the only strife I've seen is on the internet. Preston is carrying on as normal, nobody is talking about it in the street. Is it the same for other residents of Britain who frequent this board?