Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 05, 2016, 04:56:43 AM
Quote from: Tamas on July 05, 2016, 04:45:43 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 05, 2016, 03:52:53 AM
Quote from: Tyr on July 05, 2016, 03:48:16 AM
The pound has dropped quite dramatically today.
Any idea why?

This maybe?

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/jul/04/standard-life-shuts-property-fund-post-brexit-withdrawals

As long as the shape of bananas is not regulated by some unelected officials in Brussels, it all will have worth it!

I think the real reason, or at least enough to swing the referendum result, is here :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-36653594

"The upward trend in the number of ethnic minority pupils has continued - with 31.4% of primary pupils defined as being from ethnic minorities, up from 30.4% last year."

Cutting off the immigration of eastern europeans while not affecting immigration from elsewhere will only accelerate that change.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

PJL

I think ethnic minorities in that case also includes White non-British (including Irish I believe).

Tamas

Quote from: PJL on July 05, 2016, 09:06:04 AM
I think ethnic minorities in that case also includes White non-British (including Irish I believe).

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Zoupa on July 04, 2016, 06:10:55 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on July 04, 2016, 04:14:18 AM
So Farage has resigned...

But not from his European seat. What a steaming pile of shit this man is.

Now, now be fair.  Steaming piles of shit can be very useful in agriculture.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

PJL

Quote from: Tamas on July 05, 2016, 09:10:05 AM
Quote from: PJL on July 05, 2016, 09:06:04 AM

I meant in context of the report / news piece.

Tamas

I know it just reminded me of this pic :D

dps

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 05, 2016, 06:27:18 AM

People move to areas where they are ideologically/values similar. It's happening in the US too

I don't think there's such a place for me to move to.  We're certainly looking to move back out of the South, and that's a large part of the reason.  We're wanting to have a kid, and we've kind of agreed that we don't want to raise our child in a place where people complain about "they're trying to take out flag away" when there's another controversy over the Confederate flag.  It's not my flag;  it's the flag of traitors.  It's not about the flag itself, of course, though, it's about the attitudes behind it.

Personally, I've been kinda pushing for Columbus simply because it's a place that I know has a large, active wargamer club.  OTOH, I don't really want to live in Ohio, either.

Kind of undermines Tyr's theory that people don't have the luxury to live where they think it'll be nice.  Though I suspect (could be wrong) that it's easier to pick up and move in the US than in the UK.  I don't know the comparable stat, but I'm reasonably sure that 60% of adult Americans don't live within 20 miles of where they lived when they were 14.
So a lot of the people moved to London for the same reasons they voted Remain, so I think there still was a strong London v the rest element. Though there was social pressure here. I've not met a Leave voter in the flesh yet...
[/quote]

garbon

Quote from: dps on July 05, 2016, 10:46:12 AM

People move to areas where they are ideologically/values similar. It's happening in the US too

I don't think there's such a place for me to move to.  We're certainly looking to move back out of the South, and that's a large part of the reason.  We're wanting to have a kid, and we've kind of agreed that we don't want to raise our child in a place where people complain about "they're trying to take out flag away" when there's another controversy over the Confederate flag.  It's not my flag;  it's the flag of traitors.  It's not about the flag itself, of course, though, it's about the attitudes behind it.

Personally, I've been kinda pushing for Columbus simply because it's a place that I know has a large, active wargamer club.  OTOH, I don't really want to live in Ohio, either.

Kind of undermines Tyr's theory that people don't have the luxury to live where they think it'll be nice.  Though I suspect (could be wrong) that it's easier to pick up and move in the US than in the UK.  I don't know the comparable stat, but I'm reasonably sure that 60% of adult Americans don't live within 20 miles of where they lived when they were 14.
So a lot of the people moved to London for the same reasons they voted Remain, so I think there still was a strong London v the rest element. Though there was social pressure here. I've not met a Leave voter in the flesh yet...

I actually was looking at this today. Here's the studies I could find. Of course, I think it is larger than 20 miles as I think Americans would consider near to be a larger distance (I think the Pew one gave them consideration of within an hour drive).

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2015/03/staying-close-to-home-no-matter-what/387736/

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2008/12/17/who-moves-who-stays-put-wheres-home/
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

I also wonder if American health insurance makes/has made it more difficult to up sticks?
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 05, 2016, 11:00:50 AM
I also wonder if American health insurance makes/has made it more difficult to up sticks?

In what way?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

Quote from: garbon on July 05, 2016, 11:01:34 AM

In what way?

Yeah, I don't see any connection at all there.  I've moved to a different city or town 11 times in my adult life, and never once was health insurance even a minimal consideration.

garbon

Quote from: dps on July 05, 2016, 11:21:00 AM

In what way?

Yeah, I don't see any connection at all there.  I've moved to a different city or town 11 times in my adult life, and never once was health insurance even a minimal consideration.

It was for my father when Massachusetts was the only one offering state healthcare but that's out the window since Obamacare.

Sheilbh

In what way?
As I say may just be nonsense but I thought maybe because insurance is linked to the employer (right?) and would imagine that would have an effect on at least speculative moves?
Let's bomb Russia!

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: dps on July 05, 2016, 10:46:12 AM

My position on the Confederate Flag has always been that since it's the battle flag of a criminal insurrection, carrying it should be fully allowed--but so too should shooting and killing on sight anyone flying it. It should be seen as a statement that you are in a state of insurrection, and have submitted yourself as a combatant against the United States and its people.

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 05, 2016, 11:28:40 AM

In what way?
As I say may just be nonsense but I thought maybe because insurance is linked to the employer (right?) and would imagine that would have an effect on at least speculative moves?

Only if you thought your new employer/new job wouldn't have health insurance covered. But even then you still always have to contribute to some extent. I'd think on the whole, no though, that wouldn't largely be a key concern for anyone. Only thing I can think of is the borderline cases where you could take on a cool new job but you are concerned insurance costs would be ruinous as your new employer doesn't cover - even though they are giving you more money.