Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Syt

Quote from: Zanza on February 11, 2023, 12:50:42 AMHow is "Possession of a Knife" defined?

In German and Austrian law, certain knives are defined as weapons. I would assume something similar applies in the UK?

EDIT: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knife_legislation
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Yeah the only knife I know that's explicitly banned is flick knives which haven't been allowed since the fifties/Mods and Rockers fighting on Brighton beach.

There is general legislation against possession of an offensive weapon which includes knives - I imagine that's what people will be thinking of.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

I'd guess like traveling around with long knives?

Also appears further down on page that there are many more types of knives that are banned in the UK.

https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives#:~:text=The%20maximum%20penalty%20for%20an,weapon%20illegally%20more%20than%20once.

QuoteIt's also illegal to:

carry most knives or any weapons in public without a 'good reason'
sell most knives or any weapons to anyone under the age of 18

The exception to these 2 rules are folding pocketknives that:

have a cutting edge no longer than 3 inches
are not lock knives (they do not have a button, spring or catch that you have to use to fold the knife)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Yeah - looks like those are the ones that are totally banned. A very strange list :huh:

I think the "good reason" point is the offensive weapons legislation. There's things that could be weapons (bleach and acid also spring to mind) but that you might have a good reason for carrying. So it'll be something like the general rule is it's a crime to carry them unless you're able to show a good reason.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/feb/11/revealed-secret-cross-party-summit-held-to-confront-failings-of-brexit

QuoteAn extraordinary cross-party summit bringing together leading leavers and remainers – including Michael Gove and senior members of Keir Starmer's shadow cabinet – has been held in high secrecy to address the failings of Brexit and how to remedy them in the national interest, the Observer can reveal.

The two-day gathering of some of the country's most senior Labour and Tory politicians from both sides of the Brexit debate, together with diplomats, defence experts and the heads of some of the biggest businesses and banks, was held at the historic Ditchley Park retreat in Oxfordshire on Thursday afternoon and evening, and on Friday.

Documents from the meeting, obtained by the Observer, describe it as a "private discussion" under the title: "How can we make Brexit work better with our neighbours in Europe?"

Good idea. It is time for Britain to come up with something revolutionary, and daring. For example, a customs and standards union with Europe to facilitate efficient free trade.

Zanza

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: Zanza on February 11, 2023, 02:30:21 PMWhat's in it for us?

After almost 7 years you really should be used to the fact that in British thinking on how to change UK-EU relations, what the EU might think of anything is not a factor whatsoever.

Tamas

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on February 11, 2023, 03:03:50 PMAfter almost 7 years you really should be used to the fact that in British thinking on how to change UK-EU relations, what the EU might think of anything is not a factor whatsoever.
That's sort of been true, though. The big issue for Britain wanting to do anything is that all options are politically divisive domestically and risk reigniting the Brexit wars. I think getting past that - and this seems like a good first step (and a very interesting line up: Gove, Michael Howard, Nigel Lawson and Gisela Stuart for the Leavers in particular) - is a necessary condition for even engaging with the EU on a better future relationship.

But ultimately both sides have the same incentives/reasons. Both still exist, both are still allies and actually have broadly very similar outlooks. There's no sign that's going to change and that reality will ultimately get them working together.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on February 11, 2023, 04:35:04 PMAny relation with Nigella?  :P
:lol: Her dad - it is always mind-blowing to me that Nigella Lawson's dad was Thatcher's Chancellor during the Big Bang :blink: :huh:
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Oh shit, I was only joking. Didn't expect that.  :lol:

Sheilbh

:lol:

Yeah I mean a dad called Nigel naming his daughter (and maybe inventing the name) Nigella should be a joke - but here we are.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

The only way it's acceptable is if its a family rule that your name your first son Nigel and he was being progressive or figured he wasn't going to have any more kids.

Naming a kid after yourself always sits a bit weird.
██████
██████
██████