Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Sheilbh

:mmm:

Though I think someone wrote that during Blair's pomp? :hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on October 20, 2022, 08:23:41 AMSurprisingly given the differences in systems, the shortest tenured PM still had a longer term than the shortest tenured American President. Guess when you die 31 days into office that is a record that is hard to beat.

One of the strengths of the parliamentary system over the US system. You need to wait for a president to die.

Sheilbh

It is incredible to be so catastrophic that you have to resign after 44 days - not out of a sense of shame but because you've fucked up so much your internal party/parliamentary support has collapsed.

It's like living someone else's (and the entire country's) anxiety nightmare.
Let's bomb Russia!

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 20, 2022, 08:49:51 AMFair but I didn't think Cato were that Trumpy? I thought they were just very, very libertarian.

They were propped up by the Koch brothers (especially the one who has since died), but Cato is definitely a neoliberal / libertarian think tank, they actually are in an increasingly awkward position because the Republican party went in a direction I think they never expected--doubling down on cultural conservatism, but showing little fealty to neoliberals or free trade, with the way the GOP is shifting it won't be surprising to me if by the end of this decade the Democrats actually are closer on economic policy to Cato's positions than the GOP is.

celedhring

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on October 20, 2022, 08:23:41 AMSurprisingly given the differences in systems, the shortest tenured PM still had a longer term than the shortest tenured American President. Guess when you die 31 days into office that is a record that is hard to beat.

Spain likes democracy so much, that during our first ever democratic government (1868-1874) we had like 20 presidents in 6 years.

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 20, 2022, 09:48:15 AMIt is incredible to be so catastrophic that you have to resign after 44 days - not out of a sense of shame but because you've fucked up so much your internal party/parliamentary support has collapsed.

It's a new benchmark, she'llgo down in history, solely for being the worst Prime Minister in history, an attribution that might last decades, even centuries?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

OttoVonBismarck

Right, I view David Cameron to be a bigger disaster than she was--Truss is a political failure but her premiership didn't harm the country in ways that might prove irrevocable.

Valmy

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on October 20, 2022, 09:52:28 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on October 20, 2022, 08:49:51 AMFair but I didn't think Cato were that Trumpy? I thought they were just very, very libertarian.

They were propped up by the Koch brothers (especially the one who has since died), but Cato is definitely a neoliberal / libertarian think tank, they actually are in an increasingly awkward position because the Republican party went in a direction I think they never expected--doubling down on cultural conservatism, but showing little fealty to neoliberals or free trade, with the way the GOP is shifting it won't be surprising to me if by the end of this decade the Democrats actually are closer on economic policy to Cato's positions than the GOP is.

The Democrats have retreated on neo-liberalism as well. Obama and Hillary were big supporters but the party has gone on to adopt protectionist nationalist policies since then. The most recent rather shocking example was Biden's deal with chip manufacturing. Clearly the Democrats identified this as one of the big reasons they lost the Blue Wall and the blue collar vote.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: mongers on October 20, 2022, 09:57:36 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on October 20, 2022, 09:48:15 AMIt is incredible to be so catastrophic that you have to resign after 44 days - not out of a sense of shame but because you've fucked up so much your internal party/parliamentary support has collapsed.

It's a new benchmark, she'llgo down in history, solely for being the worst Prime Minister in history, an attribution that might last decades, even centuries?

Well, let us hope that its not just a matter of weeks  :ph34r:

Valmy

At this point I just think new elections need to be called.

We already had the tiny group of Tory insiders have an election and their mandate didn't exactly do much for Truss.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Richard Hakluyt

The opinion polls are reassuring...this is the implosion of a political party not the collapse of the UK system of government. With Labour 30 points ahead the electorate are not so blind as to vote for an obviously incompetent party. So, after some more Tory shenanigans we can expect them to receive a crushing electoral defeat and either reform or die.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 20, 2022, 10:22:37 AMThe opinion polls are reassuring...this is the implosion of a political party not the collapse of the UK system of government. With Labour 30 points ahead the electorate are not so blind as to vote for an obviously incompetent party. So, after some more Tory shenanigans we can expect them to receive a crushing electoral defeat and either reform or die.

At this rate there are many more PMs that will come and go before the next election.