Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

The Larch

Yup, it was a pretty effective move by Labour. They knew that Truss was on the brink and they pushed slightly to test the waters.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 19, 2022, 07:20:08 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on October 19, 2022, 03:15:22 PMAgain it's mad the government made this the hill to die on because the fracking companies have said they don't think it's commercially viable in the UK anyway :blink:

One could as easily ask why Labor felt the need to propose a useless bill.

There are all kinds of things that are routinely done in parliamentary systems that seem weird to us.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on October 19, 2022, 09:00:02 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on October 19, 2022, 03:15:22 PMAgain it's mad the government made this the hill to die on because the fracking companies have said they don't think it's commercially viable in the UK anyway :blink:

There are all kinds of things that are routinely done in parliamentary systems that seem weird to us.

Just imagine what we think of your system

Syt

https://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/23060659.liz-truss-pretended-relatives-died-duck-bbc-question-time/

QuoteLiz Truss 'pretended relatives had died' to duck BBC Question Time

Liz Truss used to pretend "minor members" of her family had died to get out of media appearances, one of her former aides has revealed.

Kirsty Buchanan, who was a special adviser to the Prime Minister when she was Justice Secretary, said the fake fatalities included "aunts and cousins and things".

However Ms Truss eventually ran out of excuses and had to appear on BBC Question Time, where she found herself on a panel with a man she loathed.

Ms Buchanan was speaking on the Whitehall Sources podcast.

She said: "Liz Truss, when I worked for her, she obviously didn't like the media, so we used to spend quite a lot of time making up excuses and, you know, killing off minor members of her family so that she didn't have to go on Question Time.

"We ran out of excuses to go on Question Time, so eventually we had to do it.

"Only minor people like aunts and cousins and things, I'm not talking about, you know, major members of the family.

"Anyway, so we ended up on Question Time and she said to me, I don't care who's on the panel as long as it's not X, and I'm not going to tell you who X is.

"And we turn up at the Green Room and there is the one person, the one person she didn't want to go on a panel with, and she looked at me and if looks could kill...

"I don't know if they did it on purpose because he's a long time kind of baiter of hers."

Ms Truss, who admitted during the Tory leadership campaign that she was not a polished public speaker, was Justice Secretary in 2016 and 2017.

An MP since 2010, she appeared on Question Time nine times between 2012 and 2019.

Ms Truss is due to face Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer and other politicial oppenents at PMQs at noon as her premiership hangs by a thread after the debacle of the reversed mini-budget and alarm among MPs at cuts.

:lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Jacob

Quote from: alfred russel on October 19, 2022, 07:15:29 PMNot an expert on UK politics, but I've been reading lots of speculation that another government with no obvious way out and a nuclear arsenal may launch a nuclear attack to try to save itself. Odds Liz Truss may try the same stunt?

:lmfao: :cheers:

I dunno... what do the bookmakers say?

HVC

Just wait until her dog eats her homework, that's when the real trouble starts.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 19, 2022, 10:05:38 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 19, 2022, 09:00:02 PM

Just imagine what we think of your system

I don't think I need to imagine it. You guys let us know pretty regularly.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on October 19, 2022, 07:16:38 PMCan you imagine what Ed Miliband chaos would look like? You guys really dodged a bullet there!

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Richard Hakluyt

Apologies if this has been posted earlier but here we have a backbench tory MP delivering a devastating criticism of the government and the current state of the tory party :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-63320605

Josquius

Quote from: Jacob on October 19, 2022, 10:43:38 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on October 19, 2022, 07:15:29 PMNot an expert on UK politics, but I've been reading lots of speculation that another government with no obvious way out and a nuclear arsenal may launch a nuclear attack to try to save itself. Odds Liz Truss may try the same stunt?

:lmfao: :cheers:

I dunno... what do the bookmakers say?

Honestly she's probably praying for Putin to nuke kyiv. Nuclear war would be perfect for her right now.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

What is getting a bit astonishing although it shouldn't, I'd that more and more Tories are ganging up on her (which she rightfully deserves) but they are not acknowledging the fact that it was their party which raised this woman as their best possible candidate to lead the country, just a couple of months ago. Surely there is collective responsibility when your organisation's top outcome is someone so profoundly unfit to her job?

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on October 20, 2022, 03:31:09 AMWhat is getting a bit astonishing although it shouldn't, I'd that more and more Tories are ganging up on her (which she rightfully deserves) but they are not acknowledging the fact that it was their party which raised this woman as their best possible candidate to lead the country, just a couple of months ago. Surely there is collective responsibility when your organisation's top outcome is someone so profoundly unfit to her job?

Maybe they're from the sunak wing?

Which does point towards a split into seperate conservative and libertarian parties as being the logical outcome in any normal party. Won't happen with the tories of course.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Funny observation I just read on Twitter, we're at a point in which Wikipedia's entry for "2022 United Kingdon government crisis" has to specify which month they're talking about.

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on October 20, 2022, 04:45:01 AMFunny observation I just read on Twitter, we're at a point in which Wikipedia's entry for "2022 United Kingdon government crisis" has to specify which month they're talking about.

Yeah, we're in "Year of the 6 emperors 3 PMs" kinda territory  :lol:

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on October 20, 2022, 04:51:30 AM
Quote from: The Larch on October 20, 2022, 04:45:01 AMFunny observation I just read on Twitter, we're at a point in which Wikipedia's entry for "2022 United Kingdon government crisis" has to specify which month they're talking about.

Yeah, we're in "Year of the 6 emperors 3 PMs" kinda territory  :lol:

Yup, truly Italian levels of government instability.  :lol: