Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Josquius

Quote from: garbon on June 30, 2020, 03:26:39 PM
I don't understand why people want to be in tinier and tinier, irrelevant nations.

I get it.
If we are talking about breaking off into some little island of sub 1 million and restricting your world to that then that's completely unappealing.
But within the auspices of the EU there's unity in disunity. You get to keep your access to the wider world whilst at the same time being in a country that better reflects your local needs.
Back in the last Scottish independence referendum I was against it. It didn't make sense at all, especially since it seemed likely to be leaving the UK and the EU.
Now, where the choice is being presented as one of England or Europe.... Where do I sign up?
██████
██████
██████

Maladict

I don't understand why people want to be in tinier and tinier, irrelevant nations.

So why did you move?

Zanza

Last day to prolong the transition period expires today. That means there is no a final deadline for the UK to drop out of the single market. Had a good run for 45 years, but everything ends eventually. 

garbon

Quote from: Maladict on June 30, 2020, 03:49:32 PM

So why did you move?

Sorry want their countries to be smaller and smaller
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

:lol: The Daily Star is still going after Cummings. He's become a standard comic character in their repertoire:

QuoteI don't understand why people want to be in tinier and tinier, irrelevant nations.
I think there's quite a lot of people who don't particularly care about relevance. I think it's in part what your imagined community is - where do you feel the sort pull of national identity is, where's your natural solidarity/sympathy extend to. I think in this case the countries have also diverged Scotland is backing the sort-of populist centrist SNP and England is moving conservative. Linked to that I think there's a point about democracy and being able to feel that you can influence your sort-of fate as a country (have control if you will).

And you know we see all of this on a daily basis the news barely ever covers anything about Scotland because Scotland's government is either treated as basically at the level of Hampshire County Council or they are treated as sort of this visiting foreign dignitary rather than a political participant. So you know the "national" news is very often English news - this used to drive people mad when I lived in Scotland.

Edit: Incidentally the mayor of Leicester has been photoed breaking lockdown, up a ladder with his lover/girlfriend (who he stayed with for four nights - I've no idea why he's up a ladder). I think this is the first lockdown breach by a prominent individual desperately needing a shag :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

It seems linked to pie in the sky thinking that we will always be at peace / that there aren't advantages to being a citizen of a stronger country vs. a weaker one that can be preyed upon.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on June 30, 2020, 05:12:49 PM
It seems linked to pie in the sky thinking that we will always be at peace / that there aren't advantages to being a citizen of a stronger country vs. a weaker one that can be preyed upon.

If Scotland leaves the UK it can apply to join the EU.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Brain on June 30, 2020, 05:20:18 PM

And would, immediately.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Scottish independence existed before Brexit.

HVC

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 30, 2020, 05:31:50 PM

And would, immediately.

Would Spain let them in?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

Quote from: garbon on June 30, 2020, 05:33:56 PM

I blame braveheart :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Larch

Quote from: HVC on June 30, 2020, 05:47:25 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on June 30, 2020, 05:31:50 PM

And would, immediately.

Would Spain let them in?

Do we have to repeat for the nth time that Spain will be perfectly ok with Scotland wanting to join the EU as long as its independence takes place in agreement with the rest of the UK?

Sheilbh

Quote from: HVC on June 30, 2020, 05:48:10 PM

You're not entirely wrong :P

I remember the SNP leafletting outside cinemas that were playing Braveheart and I think that was the start of the SNP's rise to dominance.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 30, 2020, 07:20:12 PM
You're not entirely wrong :P

I remember the SNP leafletting outside cinemas that were playing Braveheart and I think that was the start of the SNP's rise to dominance.

Mel Gibson and David Hasselhoff have shaped modern European geopolitics.

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on June 30, 2020, 05:48:10 PM

I fucking hate that film so much.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."