Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Syt on January 16, 2019, 04:56:49 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 16, 2019, 04:46:01 AM
Should also have revocation of Article 50.

Wouldn't that lead to rioting Brexiteers in the streets?

...and leave their sofas?

I agree that extension to the A50 proceedings followed by a second referendum is preferable though. I want them to ditch the idea of fantasy deals. Choose between no deal and staying in. If they choose no deal can I crash in your spare room?

Zanza

A German satirical magazine found a little known part of the Magna Charta that might be the way forward: "(...) if þe Pryme Ministre fucketh uppe majorly, þe Kynge or Qween shall regaine thereupon His or Her powre and rule as in olde tymes (...)"

Zanza

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 16, 2019, 06:38:48 AM
If they choose no deal can I crash in your spare room?
Only for ninety days or less without a visa...  :P

Tamas

I was wondering actually: I am sure the Queen has better things to do being over the age of 90 and all, but couldn't she legally step in and tell May to fuck off? It is madness that a government so embarrasingly refused on their main and only agenda that also happens to be the most important one since WW2, would remain in power.

Threviel

Quote from: Zanza on January 16, 2019, 06:49:34 AM
A German satirical magazine found a little known part of the Magna Charta that might be the way forward: "(...) if þe Pryme Ministre fucketh uppe majorly, þe Kynge or Qween shall regaine thereupon His or Her powre and rule as in olde tymes (...)"

That's silly, fuck didn't show up until the 1300s in a hilarious name https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Fuckebythenavele.

Tamas

I am listening to Prime Ministers Questions.

Hardly surprising, but May sounds to have trouble keeping control of her voice.

mongers

I wonder what odds I can get on a couple of dozen hardline Brexiters voting against May, so toppling her and starting a general election they're convinced they'll win on a hard brexit ticket?

I would be a 'fitting' final betrayal by the nutters.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

Odds on May gambling that a people's vote of her deal vs remain is the only way she'll get it?

Also, despite all the no deal scare mongering. Anyone noticed the big pound gains since the vote? :hmm:
██████
██████
██████

Solmyr

May survived the vote.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Larch

I see that JRM is quite convinced about becoming a caricature.  :lol:

QuoteJacob Rees-Mogg hosts champagne party after May Brexit defeat

Jacob Rees-Mogg hosted a champagne party for Brexiter colleagues on Tuesday night following the Commons vote that inflicted the worst defeat in modern history upon a UK prime minister.

David Davis, the minister in charge of the Brexit deal for two years until July, the Labour MP Kate Hoey, the former Conservative leader Iain Duncan Smith, and Boris Johnson were among more than 30 MPs invited to the grade II-listed home of Rees-Mogg, who chairs the hardline European Research Group (ERG).
(...)
The party was organised on Tuesday, with invitations sent via a WhatsApp group and by text, one source said. MPs were invited to Rees-Mogg's six-bedroom family home, which is a five-minute walk from the Palace of Westminster.

Those who attended were greeted with a flute of champagne at the door, and said they felt a "wave of relief" following the rejection of May's deal.

One person said: "Jacob has held quite a few events at his home following big votes because it is a convenient venue not far from the Palace of Westminster. It was organised at the last minute so there were were no canapes or nibbles, but his wife was a wonderful host.
(...)
The party occasionally spilled out on to the street, onlookers said. When asked to identify what they were drinking, one partygoer said: "Champagne, of course."

Admiral Yi

What's a grade II-listed home?

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 16, 2019, 02:27:33 PM
What's a grade II-listed home?

Heritage protection. A fancy old house, basically.

celedhring

This whole "to vote walk towards the yes/no hall" system seems awfully inconvenient. Is that done for every tabled vote or just pageantry for the momentous ones?  :hmm:

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on January 16, 2019, 02:36:01 PM
This whole "to vote walk towards the yes/no hall" system seems awfully inconvenient. Is that done for every tabled vote or just pageantry for the momentous ones?  :hmm:

It was how Parliament voted to resist the invasion of Ivar the Boneless so they must always do it that way...

But actually I seem to recall from the Iraq War vote they tend to vote that way only for the big stuff.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."