Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Tamas

The Guardian claimed yesterday that the EU is already preparing to delay it until July at least, anticipating a request from the UK.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on January 14, 2019, 06:18:01 AM
Quote from: Tamas on January 14, 2019, 05:13:09 AM
While I would much, much prefer the UK staying in the EU, which I think a second referendum would deliver, I do think that referendum would be very damaging. Putting such a momentous decision on a simple majority referendum was the dumbest political move of this century, and a mockery of what representative democracy is supposed to be. But it was called, and the voters delivered a result, and it was promised Parliament would deliver on it.

After all that to go back and say, "right folks, we can't really make up our mind, plus we suspect you have changed your minds about this whole ordeal, so let's have another go" could possibly be very damaging to democracry in Britain.

I'm not sure I can entirely agree with that. I mean it isn't usually the case in a democracy that something is voted on and that puts the matter to bed forever. Many times over referrenda or legislation reversing previously held stances can occur.

Sure but what matters is how the electorate will interpret it. If it ends up undermining the value of democracy in their minds, then it doesn't matter if they are right or wrong in that conclusion, the damage is done.

Zanza

May's populist, authoritarian, dilettante, and secretive handling of the whole situation has done much more damage to British democracy than a second referendum ever could. She has constantly fought against parliament having its traditional role. And she has made so many mistakes and has constantly tried to tack towards the most extremist part of her party that she has now created an impossible situation with only terrible choices left. Add the constant lying and falsehoods - on both sides - and virtually no British institution comes out of this looking good.

Cameron and May will both be remembered as some of the worst prime ministers in the long history of this once proud office.

And don't forget that polls show that roughly half of the population wants to remain. And no one seems to fight for their cause. Same for Europeans in Britain and British in the EU. These groups will also feel betrayed by democracy if Britain just leaves. And - conjecture by me - they are probably more relevant to the future well being of British democracy than the leavers...

Tamas

Quote from: Zanza on January 14, 2019, 07:51:58 AM
May's populist, authoritarian, dilettante, and secretive handling of the whole situation has done much more damage to British democracy than a second referendum ever could. She has constantly fought against parliament having its traditional role. And she has made so many mistakes and has constantly tried to tack towards the most extremist part of her party that she has now created an impossible situation with only terrible choices left. Add the constant lying and falsehoods - on both sides - and virtually no British institution comes out of this looking good.

Cameron and May will both be remembered as some of the worst prime ministers in the long history of this once proud office.

And don't forget that polls show that roughly half of the population wants to remain. And no one seems to fight for their cause. Same for Europeans in Britain and British in the EU. These groups will also feel betrayed by democracy if Britain just leaves. And - conjecture by me - they are probably more relevant to the future well being of British democracy than the leavers...

Good point.

mongers

Guys, wish 'us' luck with tonight's pantomime.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Zanza

I hope this shitshow finds an end soon. It gets tiresome and repetitive.

garbon

Damn. She lost by 230 votes.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Liep

I like how they vote or rather I find it amusing.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

garbon

No confidence motion put forth by Corbyn.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Apparently biggest historic loss since 1924.

Tamas

Quote from: Liep on January 15, 2019, 02:44:58 PM

Worked fine in 1650, no reason to change it.

FunkMonk

Is this finally it for May?
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Tamas on January 15, 2019, 02:49:14 PM
Quote from: Liep on January 15, 2019, 02:44:58 PM

1688 Tamas, 1688...........don't be failing the citizenship test now.

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on January 15, 2019, 02:49:14 PM

I don't think the UK would allow innovation that recent to corrupt their august institutions.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."