Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

garbon

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 03, 2019, 06:17:57 AM
It looks patronising and insulting to me; but I'm an old git and not their target audience  :hmm:

Yeah, I don't think anyone actually self identifies as any of those things.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Zanza

QuoteDavid Davis: The closer we are to no deal, the better the chance of a good deal

The former Brexit secretary David Davis has urged Theresa May to further delay the "meaningful vote" on her proposed Brexit deal in order to increase pressure on the EU and MPs.

The vote was originally due in December, but was delayed when it became clear the prime minister's proposals would be rejected. It is now due in the week beginning 14 January.

Writing in The Daily Telegraph, Mr Davis said it could be put back again if the parliamentary numbers remain against the PM.

He also suggested the EU would offer a better agreement than the one currently on the table if the UK looked like crashing out without a deal - because it would be worried about missing out on the £39bn divorce payment that has been negotiated.

[...]

He added: "We know that the EU is worried about the loss of the £39bn 'divorce' payment if there is no deal... so this is the moment to be hard-nosed about these issues.

"The more we prepare to leave the EU without a deal, the more likely a good deal becomes."
https://news.sky.com/story/david-davis-the-closer-we-are-to-no-deal-the-better-the-chance-of-a-good-deal-11597480

:lol: Does he really believe that or is it just a ploy to reach his unstated goal of a no deal Brexit?

The EU should really just wait until Brexit has happened, the consequences become noticeable and only then return to the negotiating table. This Tory government is obviously not a serious partner for negotiations as they renege on previous agreements and have no parliamentary majority. Seems to be a waste of time and resources until there is a significant change in Britain.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

Quote from: garbon on January 03, 2019, 06:55:57 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 03, 2019, 06:17:57 AM
It looks patronising and insulting to me; but I'm an old git and not their target audience  :hmm:

Binge gamers, maybe.  But is it really binging if you do it all the time?

Tamas

Isn't the divorce bill supposed to cover the spending Britain already agreed to spend before the Brexit vote?

I like how these idiots want to be major wheelers and dealers of the world but are perfectly OK with publicly disregarding and and all commitments they earlier made.

Richard Hakluyt

David Davis is a backbench MP now, he is of no consequence. His stock has even fallen with the Tory party membership.

The "divorce bill" rhetoric should be a clear warning to any voter of average intelligence or above. These are legal commitments that would require going full North Korea to renege on. He is simply lying or so thick that he needs to be sent to a care home.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Zanza on January 03, 2019, 07:29:00 AM
QuoteDavid Davis: The closer we are to no deal, the better the chance of a good deal

The former Brexit secretary David Davis has urged Theresa May to further delay the "meaningful vote" on her proposed Brexit deal in order to increase pressure on the EU and MPs.

The vote was originally due in December, but was delayed when it became clear the prime minister's proposals would be rejected. It is now due in the week beginning 14 January.

Writing in The Daily Telegraph, Mr Davis said it could be put back again if the parliamentary numbers remain against the PM.

He also suggested the EU would offer a better agreement than the one currently on the table if the UK looked like crashing out without a deal - because it would be worried about missing out on the £39bn divorce payment that has been negotiated.

[...]

He added: "We know that the EU is worried about the loss of the £39bn 'divorce' payment if there is no deal... so this is the moment to be hard-nosed about these issues.

"The more we prepare to leave the EU without a deal, the more likely a good deal becomes."

Ah yes - the old pull the pin on the hand grenade negotiating ploy.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Josquius

The non existent ferry company gets better and better....
https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/brexit-ferry-firm-accused-of-copying-web-page-from-a-takeaway-outlet_uk_5c2df54de4b08aaf7a965bc4?ncid=other_facebook_eucluwzme5k&utm_campaign=share_facebook

Quote from: Tamas on January 03, 2019, 10:46:39 AM
Isn't the divorce bill supposed to cover the spending Britain already agreed to spend before the Brexit vote?

I like how these idiots want to be major wheelers and dealers of the world but are perfectly OK with publicly disregarding and and all commitments they earlier made.

Yep.
They've no fucking clue how trade works.
██████
██████
██████

Oexmelin

Quote from: garbon on January 03, 2019, 06:55:57 AM

I believe the point is to tell: "show those idiots who think so little of you who you truly are".
Que le grand cric me croque !

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Oexmelin on January 03, 2019, 03:30:26 PM
I believe the point is to tell: "show those idiots who think so little of you who you truly are".

I resent being called an idiot.

Syt

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 03, 2019, 11:49:12 AM
Quote from: Zanza on January 03, 2019, 07:29:00 AM

[...]

Ah yes - the old pull the pin on the hand grenade negotiating ploy.

It worked for Leia in Return of the Jedi. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Oexmelin

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 03, 2019, 03:59:43 PM
Quote from: Oexmelin on January 03, 2019, 03:30:26 PM

I resent being called an idiot.

Then the British Army is not interested in you.
Que le grand cric me croque !

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Syt on January 03, 2019, 04:00:20 PM
It worked for Leia in Return of the Jedi. :P

As I recall she ended up on a chain . . .
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

Temporarily. It worked all out in the end, and she got to strangle the fat bloated pile of corruption. ;)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Syt on January 03, 2019, 05:34:00 PM
Temporarily. It worked all out in the end, and she got to strangle the fat bloated pile of corruption. ;)

If only Britain had a trained Jedi knight on their side, they'd be all set.
--Joan Robinson