Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

garbon

So she's agreed not to stand for election in the next general and has received in public enough declarations, that if they hold, she'll retain power.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on December 12, 2018, 12:55:34 PM
So she's agreed not to stand for election in the next general and has received in public enough declarations, that if they hold, she'll retain power.

In theory yes, but if she gets fewer than 200 vote's out of 317, she'll be dead in the water as regard the Tory party; they'll move to 'coup' her and the remaining grandees will step in and ask her to step aside.

For a 'unity' candidate. :lol:

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

The BBC:

QuoteTheresa May wins confidence vote

Theresa May survives a vote of confidence in her leadership (200 voted for, 117 voted against).

She needed to secure at least 159 votes from Conservative MPs - half the parliamentary party plus one - to remain as leader.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Richard Hakluyt

The sweet spot, she remains as leader but with reduced authority :)

mongers

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 12, 2018, 04:11:01 PM
The sweet spot, she remains as leader but with reduced authority :)

Yes a knife edge result.  :bowler:

And unfortunately close to my expectations.

Zanza

Cameron did this to end the conflict in the Conservative Party. I think it is fair to say he failed.

The Brain

Quote from: Zanza on December 12, 2018, 04:42:39 PM
Cameron did this to end the conflict in the Conservative Party. I think it is fair to say he failed.

Eventually there will be no Party. But peace.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

"To ravage, to slaughter, to usurp under false titles, they call empire; and where they make a desert, they call it peace."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Richard Hakluyt

Going to get through a lot of popcorn in the coming weeks.

grumbler

Quote from: Tamas on December 12, 2018, 06:05:56 AM
Brexit is easy! It can only be compared to WW2 that's how easy it is!

Yep.  A change in leadership in May 1940 kept the Germans from conquering France, didn't it?

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Monoriu

I fear that history won't be kind to him  :ph34r:

mongers

Quote from: Monoriu on December 12, 2018, 08:23:48 PM

I fear that history won't be kind to him  :ph34r:

No need to worry about future history, already a large majority of the British public think he's an utter twat.  :bowler:

Richard Hakluyt

Cameron floated the idea that he might return to public life, possibly as Foreign Secretary; the public's response was something like "fuck off back to your shed you useless plonker".

Oh well, that's life.

Monoriu

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 13, 2018, 02:52:41 AM
Cameron floated the idea that he might return to public life, possibly as Foreign Secretary; the public's response was something like "fuck off back to your shed you useless plonker".

Oh well, that's life.

My first reaction was that he went a bit further than merely being useless  :ph34r:

Tamas

Guardian quoting a regional German newspaper:
QuoteAll this hue and cry ... is only continuing to make British politicians and their people continue to look quite ridiculous. May has been demoted to a supplicant on the starting day of the EU summit.

I wonder if this will be seen later as the final end of the Empire... The time when the momentum from its existence finally ran out.