Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

dps

I find it odd that she had to specify that Ireland is an island and that there are animals there.

mongers

Quote from: dps on August 28, 2018, 09:54:49 PM
I find it odd that she had to specify that Ireland is an island and that there are animals there.

With regard to animals, Ireland is treated as an island ie no north-south border.

I think the trade border concerning animals is along the Irish sea?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

dps

Quote from: mongers on August 28, 2018, 10:02:29 PM
Quote from: dps on August 28, 2018, 09:54:49 PM

With regard to animals, Ireland is treated as an island ie no north-south border.

I think the trade border concerning animals is along the Irish sea?

I'm confused.  Since when do borders, whether international or internal, control the movement of wild animals?  Are we talking about livestock, not wild animals?

Valmy

We are talking about people moving animals around of any sort. We are not generally talking about animals moving about on their own accord.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

I think it's a big deal to Brits that they don't have rabies.

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 28, 2018, 10:50:03 PM

Yes.
We are really quite paranoid about it. Add in the general ignorance about the quality of our neighbours and....

Pretty sure Ireland and Great Britain being separate jurisdictions for moving animals goes back to before Irish independence.
We probably even have special rules about  small islands.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 28, 2018, 10:50:03 PM

If foxes were freely roaming your steeets, it would be a big deal for you as well.

garbon

Hmm, CrossRail now to be delayed about a year...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: garbon on August 31, 2018, 05:53:58 AM
Hmm, CrossRail now to be delayed about a year...

Crossrail/S-Bahn/RER is so continental anyways.  :P

garbon

London would still do well to have an infrastructure upgrade even if not part of the EU. ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Quote from: garbon on August 31, 2018, 08:23:55 AM
London would still do well to have an infrastructure upgrade even if not part of the EU. ;)

London gets way too many infrastructure upgrades.
Most of the country doesn't even have electrified railways yet.
Just a fraction of London investment could go a long way in the north.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

:yawn:

You didn't really need to post that as your stance is a given. ;)

Josquius

Doesn't make it untrue though.
What were the numbers again... 200 per head in the north east vs 2000 per head in London.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Yeah lots of infrastructure for the main tourist spot. Monstrous.

Josquius

Tourism is only 10% of the UK economy. And its not all in London.
██████
██████
██████