Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Josquius

Denmark is also way up there.
I had understood in the days since joining the EU they had drifted away from the uk economically somewhat?
██████
██████
██████

garbon

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/apr/27/eu-to-debate-recognising-united-ireland-to-allow-swift-return-for-north

QuoteEuropean leaders may be preparing to recognise a united Ireland, in a declaration that would pave the way for the north to swiftly rejoin the European Union. At their first Brexit summit on Saturday, the EU's 27 leaders are expected to discuss a text stating that if Ireland unified, the north would automatically become part of the EU.

The inclusion of the text is a victory for the Irish government, which had pressed for the inclusion of a "GDR clause", a reference to the integration of the former east German state into the European Community after the fall of the Berlin wall. The declaration is bound to raise fears that Brexit could trigger the unravelling of the UK, although there is no majority in Northern Ireland for unification.

I get that there is bad blood with Brexit but I hope they don't actually agree to put forth such a statement. No one really served by heating up the Troubles.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Larch

I don't think it's about bad blood, but about the Republic of Ireland "paving the way" for a highly hypothetical reunification with Northern Ireland, should that scenario take place.

grumbler

Such a declaration would be irresponsible.  It would be essentially telling the Catholic minority in NI that they will be rewarded if they achieve unification, even if by violence.  Let sleeping dogs lie.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: The Larch on April 28, 2017, 06:41:22 AM
I don't think it's about bad blood, but about the Republic of Ireland "paving the way" for a highly hypothetical reunification with Northern Ireland, should that scenario take place.

Basically what grumbler said though. It would be making it attractive to actually push (by any means) to unify Ireland.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

Given precedent, I think it's hard for the EU to say the contrary. Ireland probably should have been smarter than to bring this up, though.  :hmm:

The Larch

Quote from: garbon on April 28, 2017, 06:50:08 AM

Basically what grumbler said though. It would be making it attractive to actually push (by any means) to unify Ireland.

If you really think that the EU is going to encourage violence in order to get Ireland unified you're reaching Daily Mail levels of delusion.

garbon

Quote from: The Larch on April 28, 2017, 07:12:00 AM

If you really think that the EU is going to encourage violence in order to get Ireland unified you're reaching Daily Mail levels of delusion.

I don't think the EU is meaning to encourage that (willfully encouraging that) but that will be an unintended consequence of pushing through such a statement.

So you can fuck right off with your assumptions of me being delusional. You could just act civilized and not jump to the stupidest conclusion. Actually, I'm not sure if you are able. :hmm:

The Brain

Black Athena talks back.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Quote from: garbon on April 28, 2017, 07:15:09 AM

I don't think the EU is meaning to encourage that (willfully encouraging that) but that will be an unintended consequence of pushing through such a statement.

So you can fuck right off with your assumptions of me being delusional. You could just act civilized and not jump to the stupidest conclusion. Actually, I'm not sure if you are able. :hmm:

garbon

garbon

Quote from: The Larch on April 28, 2017, 07:32:39 AM

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/f3/68/b2/f368b2ddfe3f14cc1aded6e2db8982b7.png

I'm perfectly serene, darling.

The Larch

Quote from: garbon on April 28, 2017, 07:34:26 AM
Quote from: The Larch on April 28, 2017, 07:32:39 AM

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/f3/68/b2/f368b2ddfe3f14cc1aded6e2db8982b7.png

I'm perfectly serene, darling.

Then the final outburst feels a teeny tiny bit uncalled for.  :)

garbon

So was your comment on Daily Mail delusions. :)