Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Tamas

The only problem is that the Daily Mail and the like would set the UK on fire if that happened.

With a soft, Norway-like Brexit, however, the Leavers could pretend they have not changed their mind over the whole thing seeing all this ordeal, and stay relatively quiet while the LibDems enact it.

However, if Brexit is just revoked, Leavers can't retreat with their face intact.

Valmy

Man we now have to kowtow to the wishes of the Daily Mail? I hate the 21st century.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Richard Hakluyt

Net-curtain twitching philistines who think its important to have your dustbin sanitised, no way will they take to the streets. On the other hand they are why the tories win elections.

Jacob

Quote from: Gups on April 18, 2017, 10:45:14 AM
Now article 50 has been triggered, I don't think there's really a credible basis for promising a second ref.  Best approach from Lib Dems  is to say that they will support negotiations on the Norway model. Which is pretty mush being a member of the EU without having any say in policy-making.

Is it not possible for a party to campaign on "we are going to reverse Brexit. A vote for us is a vote to remain in Europe, so if we get the mandate we'll reverse the invocation of article 50"?

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on April 18, 2017, 12:00:14 PM
Now article 50 has been triggered, I don't think there's really a credible basis for promising a second ref.  Best approach from Lib Dems  is to say that they will support negotiations on the Norway model. Which is pretty mush being a member of the EU without having any say in policy-making.

Is it not possible for a party to campaign on "we are going to reverse Brexit. A vote for us is a vote to remain in Europe, so if we get the mandate we'll reverse the invocation of article 50"?

Is there anyway in EU system to revoke the invocation though?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Zanza

Quote from: garbon on April 18, 2017, 12:02:30 PM
Quote from: Jacob on April 18, 2017, 12:00:14 PM

Is there anyway in EU system to revoke the invocation though?
The EU is first and foremost a political organisation and they don't want Britain to leave. Revoking Article 50 would probably only necessitate another letter to Donald Tusk and a brief thumbs up in the Council.

Gups

QuoteLiberal Democrats are the only party that has consistently championed Britain's membership of the European Union, because we believe that Britain's best chance to succeed is within the EU.

While we respect the outcome of the referendum held in June 2016, we believe that Britain is a more prosperous country when we are part of the world's largest economy, working in partnership with our closest neighbours and allies to tackle the biggest challenges.

We believe that free trade is a good thing. It creates jobs, increases prosperity and helps pay for things like the NHS, schools and public services. Our livelihoods are improved because of free trade - including through our membership of the Single Market. That is why we are fighting for Britain at the very minimum to remain a member of the Single Market.

The British people voted for departure but not for a destination, which is why we are also calling for the government to give the British people a vote on the final deal that they negotiate with Europe.

The terms of Brexit will have a huge impact on jobs, security and the opportunity to travel and live abroad, and the Tory Brexit government should therefore be made to put their deal to the British people before it is finalised.

This is the policy set out on the Lib Dem website, so it does sound as if they want another referendum. How practicable that is I don't know. Obviously it's moot as they won't get more than 30 or 40 seats anyway.

Josquius

Quote from: Valmy on April 18, 2017, 09:07:29 AM
At this point I just hope the Lib Dems can beat UKIP.

In terms of % of the vote it will be interesting.
In terms of seats though I'm remaining hopeful that UKIP still won't win any.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

At this point if you really do support the UKIP why wouldn't you just vote Tory?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Agelastus

Quote from: Valmy on April 18, 2017, 01:14:18 PM
At this point if you really do support the UKIP why wouldn't you just vote Tory?

Probably because their northern base is mainly comprised of ex-Labour supporters who still demonise Thatcher, and ex-BNP voters for whom the Tories are all "wets".

"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Josquius

What's going on with the pound 😭
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

The Daily Mail seems to have a raging boner for Mrs. May.

It would not be completely out of place in a "V for Vendetta" context... :unsure:

Tamas

In Hungary I'll end up on the list of the system's enemies, as already they blame "people flown in by Soros from abroad" for participating int he anti-government protests, and here I'll be an immigrant AND a saboteur for not liking the way the government does things.

Splendid!

Josquius

Why is unelected in quotes?
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on April 19, 2017, 04:42:08 AM
Why is unelected in quotes?

Winds might change quickly in politics nowadays, you never know if you won't have to praise the House Lords 3 weeks from now.