Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

celedhring

Yeah, I guess the silver lining is that the sooner Corbyn goes down the better, and Labor can start to rebuild. But 5 years of Tory dictatorship is a though price to pay.

Tamas

Will LibDems have enough common sense to drive just one single point home: that they will negotiate a soft Brexit if they form government?

Could they even be brave enough to pledge to revoke Brexit altogether?

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on April 18, 2017, 09:41:26 AM
Will LibDems have enough common sense to drive just one single point home: that they will negotiate a soft Brexit if they form government?

What exactly is there for them to do besides that? They have no other chance. It would be suicidally stupid NOT to play that card.

So no they probably won't.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Richard Hakluyt

This election will be fought on the old constituency boundaries as the changes (and reduction in total number of MPs) are not due to take effect till 2018. This favours Labour.

That Tory opinion poll lead might not translate into as many seats as one might think. They are stacking a lot of huge majorities in the South of England (outside London of course), making those even bigger does not help them at all.

Richard Hakluyt

I'm fairly sure that Farron (or "wee Timmy" as I think of him) has promised a second referendum on the grounds that people didn't understand what they were voting for first time round  :cool:

Valmy

The hopes of Liberalism now hinge on a remarkably colorless technocratic French presidential candidate and the Lib Dems. We're fucked.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on April 18, 2017, 09:47:33 AM
The hopes of Liberalism now hinge on a remarkably colorless technocratic French presidential candidate and the Lib Dems. We're fucked.

Hey, he bangs his ex-teacher.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on April 18, 2017, 10:04:23 AM
Quote from: Valmy on April 18, 2017, 09:47:33 AM

Well...yes that is true. I guess that does give him a chance.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on April 18, 2017, 10:06:22 AM
Quote from: garbon on April 18, 2017, 10:04:23 AM

Well...yes that is true. I guess that does give him a chance.

That's so French, it probably doesn't even register.

Tamas

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 18, 2017, 09:46:16 AM

I'm fairly sure that Farron (or "wee Timmy" as I think of him) has promised a second referendum on the grounds that people didn't understand what they were voting for first time round  :cool:

Oh gawd please don't let them campaign with the promise of a second referendum. Even I would not vote on them if there was the prospect of going through all that misery once more. Oh for fuck's sake.

Gups

Now article 50 has been triggered, I don't think there's really a credible basis for promising a second ref.  Best approach from Lib Dems  is to say that they will support negotiations on the Norway model. Which is pretty mush being a member of the EU without having any say in policy-making.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Tamas on April 18, 2017, 10:41:32 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 18, 2017, 09:46:16 AM

Oh gawd please don't let them campaign with the promise of a second referendum. Even I would not vote on them if there was the prospect of going through all that misery once more. Oh for fuck's sake.

You are going native I see, channeling the man on the Clapham omnibus  :bowler:

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Gups on April 18, 2017, 10:45:14 AM
Now article 50 has been triggered, I don't think there's really a credible basis for promising a second ref.  Best approach from Lib Dems  is to say that they will support negotiations on the Norway model. Which is pretty mush being a member of the EU without having any say in policy-making.

The perfect compromise, nobody will get what they want  <_<

Valmy

Can't the British just back out of Article 50? I mean the EU would probably be willing to avoid an existential crisis.

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on April 18, 2017, 11:21:08 AM
Can't the British just back out of Article 50? I mean the EU would probably be willing to avoid an existential crisis.

It is theoretically possible, yes, and the EU said as much in their statement about the negotiations, that they'd allow the UK to go back on the whole process, but after so many months of "Brexit means Brexit" I don't know how viable that really is.