Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on April 18, 2017, 04:44:23 AM
Milk, on top of that, is what many supermarkets use as a "hook" product, offering the lower possible prices to attract customers. That's why dairy farmers are screwed over so frequently and why they protest so much.

Yeah. I suppose it already happened in your neck of the woods, but over here we're seeing an increasing amount of local dairy producers banding together and launching their own brands of fresh milk products, skipping the huge industrial/supermarket brands they usually sold to.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Gups on April 18, 2017, 04:48:05 AM
Looks like Teresa May is about to announce an election.

Think she fancies a huge majority to get the brexit-lite through  :hmm:

celedhring

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 18, 2017, 04:49:11 AM

Brexit-lite? How would that work? Genuine question.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: celedhring on April 18, 2017, 04:51:20 AM

Well the devil is in the detail. But she has a wafer-thin majority and is currently in thrall to the nutters. The opinion polls show a colossal tory lead, if that was replicated in a general election she would be able to bypass the brexit extremists - the "Singapore-on-Thames" folk, who want to go for a complete divorce and WTO rules.

Gups

Quote from: celedhring on April 18, 2017, 04:51:20 AM

I can't see it. Brexit-lite is only possible if we accept free movement. That's politically toxic in the UK right now and for the foreseeable future and too big a risk even with a massive majority and a dysfunctional opposition.

Richard Hakluyt

Pure speculation on my part Gups, she is not an easy person to read.

celedhring

Probably she might be willing to compromise in other areas (like standards) in order to get a trade deal.

Josquius

We could always follow the Swiss way.
In Switzerland there is free movement though Europeans technically do need to get a work permit just the same as all outsiders.
In practice this has traditionally largely been a formality which is done as part of your standard registration with the commune (which is necessary in practically every European country that I'm aware of except the UK).
Though recently they have implemented a "Swiss first" employment law which they hope will allow them to meet their European commitments whilst satisfying the 'Chexit'  referendum which demanded they stop foreign workers.

As I've said before, our Brexit referendum really came at a terrible time. If only it had been a few years later we'd have been able to see how things work out in Switzerland
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on April 18, 2017, 04:48:48 AM
Quote from: The Larch on April 18, 2017, 04:44:23 AM
Milk, on top of that, is what many supermarkets use as a "hook" product, offering the lower possible prices to attract customers. That's why dairy farmers are screwed over so frequently and why they protest so much.

Yeah. I suppose it already happened in your neck of the woods, but over here we're seeing an increasing amount of local dairy producers banding together and launching their own brands of fresh milk products, skipping the huge industrial/supermarket brands they usually sold to.

Yes, they've done that here recently as well, and revived an old co-op brand that used to be ran by the farmers themselves. Some smaller producers are also selling themselves directly, mostly the ones that sell fresh milk rather than UHT.

Edit: So, general elections, it seems.

Richard Hakluyt

General election on June 8th.

Gups

Election announced for June 8th. Funeral for the Labour Party, June 9th.

Josquius

Wow.
Never saw that one coming. :o

Time to make a who do I vote for 2017 flowchart.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

About time for another one. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Is parliament going to vote for new elections?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 18, 2017, 05:09:39 AM
General election on June 8th.

3 days before the first round of legislative elections in France. Summer could be fun.  :D