Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Tamas

Two days since the official Article 50 invoking.

We have had the UK's thinly veiled threat to remove from security cooperation if they don't like the trade deal they will get.

And now it seems Spain is threatening a veto if Gibraltar doesn't get some kind of special treatment in the divorce deal, to which Tory MPs rally around the flag and urge resistance:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39453535

Oh my, this is not going to end well, is it?  :lol:

Richard Hakluyt

Just about to post on the same issue.

The negotiators are all going to have such fun in their pointless task.

derspiess

Spain just needs to get over the Gibraltar thing.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Tamas

Yeah once that is done then we will just need Ireland getting over the Northern Ireland thing, Poland, Romania, Hungary over the immigration thing, and we will be ready to start!

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on March 31, 2017, 10:21:21 AM

Why do they need to do that?

Josquius

I'd heard completely opposite news about Gibraltar today. That the document released by the EU on their response to brexit states that anything with the UK doesn't apply to Gibraltar. Which is curious
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Yeah well the purpose of the EU was to get beyond these European rivalries so it is no surprise that those rivalries would assert themselves once it starts to dissolve.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on March 31, 2017, 10:23:38 AM

Because it makes them look petty and it annoys me.  But mostly because it annoys me.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on March 31, 2017, 10:32:58 AM
Quote from: Jacob on March 31, 2017, 10:23:38 AM

Because it makes them look petty and it annoys me.  But mostly because it annoys me.

You might as well ask dogs to get over peeing on trees. Euros are going to Euro.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

celedhring

You never let go of bargaining chips, particularly when the other side suddenly decides to give you leverage.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Tyr on March 31, 2017, 10:30:22 AM
I'd heard completely opposite news about Gibraltar today. That the document released by the EU on their response to brexit states that anything with the UK doesn't apply to Gibraltar. Which is curious

Yes, the reports do seem a bit muddled and confusing. Might be best to give it a few hours, when the analysis of what is being proposed will be consistent.

celedhring

Besides the irredentist mumbo-jumbo, the fact is that Gibraltar's "best of both worlds" status as a British overseas territory with lots of tax advantages AND an EU member with access to the Common Market sitting right by the Spanish border is something that Spain would have vetoed had it been a member when the UK accessed the EU. Now the UK has decided to make it possible for this status to be terminated, and you can bet our government is going to seize the chance.

Josquius

Quote from: celedhring on March 31, 2017, 10:53:59 AM
Besides the irredentist mumbo-jumbo, the fact is that Gibraltar's "best of both worlds" status as a British overseas territory with lots of tax advantages AND an EU member with access to the Common Market sitting right by the Spanish border is something that Spain would have vetoed had it been a member when the UK accessed the EU. Now the UK has decided to make it possible for this status to be terminated, and you can bet our government is going to seize the chance.

Spain looks set to be the UK's prime enemy it seems.
You've:
*Gibralter
*A massive imbalance of  UK migrants (most countries have more of their nationals in Britain than the reverse)
*Most of these migrants being unproductive and expensive retirees.
*Fishing

Anything I missed?
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on March 31, 2017, 10:57:04 AM
Quote from: celedhring on March 31, 2017, 10:53:59 AM

Spain looks set to be the UK's prime enemy it seems.
You've:
*Gibralter
*A massive imbalance of  UK migrants (most countries have more of their nationals in Britain than the reverse)
*Most of these migrants being unproductive and expensive retirees.
*Fishing

Anything I missed?

Well, they will be a huge enemy to independent Scotland joining the EU.

Valmy

So then maybe they are also the UK's prime savior :P