Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Syt

I do?  :huh:

Also, the red star (5 red Vs in a star shape) are no longer on top of Volkstheater.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Duque de Bragança

Oh, come on, don't tell me you, as the Northern German, never complained about (Outer) Bavarian dialects.  :rolleyes:

jimmy olsen

I can confirm that Syt only complains about Swiss German.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tamas

Anyways, I welcome that May has at least now said something about the basic principles.

Hard Brexit it is.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 17, 2017, 08:01:19 AM
I can confirm that Syt only complains about Swiss German.

I heard otherwise from him, sorry. It might be linked to the overabundant use of Piefke among Austrians re: Germans (I even heard it in Paris among Austrians!).
How do you say Boche in German? LULZ Piefke!

Richard Hakluyt

I think that the EU-27 have made their position abundantly clear on the "four freedoms", so a hard brexit became the only choice (short of completely ignoring the referendum).

I think it is fair to say the soft brexit is the first preference of virtually nobody in the UK, so I'm glad it has been ruled out. Though I think that many of the people who voted out are going to be very disappointed in the cold hard competitive world that hard brexit implies.

Syt

Was there any major news in the press conference? I could only see that she confirmed leaving the common market (which was to be expected), and that the parliament would get a vote.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 17, 2017, 08:09:46 AM
I think that the EU-27 have made their position abundantly clear on the "four freedoms", so a hard brexit became the only choice (short of completely ignoring the referendum).

I think it is fair to say the soft brexit is the first preference of virtually nobody in the UK, so I'm glad it has been ruled out. Though I think that many of the people who voted out are going to be very disappointed in the cold hard competitive world that hard brexit implies.

I think, other than incompetence, the only feasible explanation for the initial blundering about regarding "negotiating strategy" and such after May took over, is that she wanted to sneak in a Norway-style soft Brexit on the side while feeding the Leavers with red white and blue rhetoric. Which was obviously failing so she decided to just do what they really want and fuck everything up for the next ten years.

Archy

So if I understand this correctly for my branch of work. It would mean having to arrange clearances again for goods entering and leaving for the UK? Customs checks and queues of trucks at Calais?

Tamas

Quote from: Archy on January 17, 2017, 08:58:43 AM
So if I understand this correctly for my branch of work. It would mean having to arrange clearances again for goods entering and leaving for the UK? Customs checks and queues of trucks at Calais?

Depends on what deal they make 2 years from whenever Article 50 is triggered. It's up in the air 'til then. But probably yes.

Archy

That will be a pain in the ass again. Thanks Britts  :mad:

Tamas

Quote from: Archy on January 17, 2017, 09:23:21 AM
That will be a pain in the ass again. Thanks Britts  :mad:

As long as the Tories can do whatever they want without EU Court oversight, it will have worth it! Freedom!

Richard Hakluyt

She didn't say whether we would be getting our dark-blue passports back  :hmm:

Tamas

Richard Hakluyt