Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Josquius

Quote from: celedhring on January 10, 2017, 11:57:01 AM
Quote from: Tamas on January 10, 2017, 08:35:30 AM
I don't get this country's obsession with too high wages. Surely there are other rubber bones for the public to chew on, can't politicians be a bit more creative?

I love how Corbyn and Labour seem to have abandoned any semblance of trying to fight Brexit. Unless the reporting we get down here is massively biased.

No.  Is right.  They've surrendered.  Gone full Marshal Petain.  They're worried the people who don't normally vote but who were tricked into voting leave might vote again.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

I just don't get it. Brexit won, but it's not like they won by 20 percentage points or anything. Roughly half of the constituency was against it, and it seems that only the Lib-Dems are appealing to them.

Tamas

Quote from: celedhring on January 10, 2017, 12:10:30 PM
I just don't get it. Brexit won, but it's not like they won by 20 percentage points or anything. Roughly half of the constituency was against it, and it seems that only the Lib-Dems are appealing to them.

It is weird. Everyone, government especially, acts like a massive majority swept down the very idea of EU membership.

Admiral Yi

Tories  out of political necessity, Corbyn out of boneheaded conviction.

But I don't see what the alternative is.  Campaign on holding another referendum?

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 10, 2017, 12:16:28 PM
But I don't see what the alternative is.  Campaign on holding another referendum?

The alternative is clear. Negotiate with the EU for the terms then turn around and have another referendum on those terms before accepting them.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

celedhring

Quote from: Valmy on January 10, 2017, 12:17:40 PM

The alternative is clear. Negotiate with the EU for the terms then turn around and have another referendum on those terms before accepting them.

Yep, that seems to me the most sensible position if you're pro-EU. Or even if you aren't. If I was Pro-Brexit I'd probably want to exert that sovereignty I supposedly cherish so much.

garbon

Tories  out of political necessity, Corbyn out of boneheaded conviction.

Go Swiss and ignore the referendum results? I mean it isn't like May is going to end up with a good political legacy with UK leaving EU or UK staying in EU.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Remain votes tended to stack.  A few seats having large majorities.  Leave squeaked through with narrow wins in a majority of seats.
The concern is that those leave voters will vote again for parties that support leave.
Considering leave did better in the poor labour heartlands I can get why they're doing this politically. But it's a stupid decision.

On the bright side it avoids the remain vote splitting too much,  it's really a good chance for the lib dems to become the second party if they can convince people to forget 2010
██████
██████
██████

Zanza

Quote from: celedhring on January 10, 2017, 06:36:42 AM
When I applied for my student visa I had to give my passport to the US embassy in Spain (in person) and they mailed it back to me a few days after.

So the "trust your passport to a foreign administration and the post office" is hardly uncommon.
I have done that dozens of times when applying for visas with embassies from many different countries. It's a quite normal process when you need a visa, no?  :huh:

Of course I have a secondary passport and my national ID card, so it's not like I am without ID documents in those cases.

Tamas

A second referendum, on the actual terms of Brexit, would be hillarious.

Remainers would vote no because they want to remain. Most Leavers would vote no too because it didn't fit their personal idea on the terms.

Then the government could not sign the agreement and the UK would just fall out of the UK on default terms due to the expiry of the two years. Would really be the icing on the cake.

Tamas

Quote from: Zanza on January 10, 2017, 12:27:11 PM
Quote from: celedhring on January 10, 2017, 06:36:42 AM
When I applied for my student visa I had to give my passport to the US embassy in Spain (in person) and they mailed it back to me a few days after.

So the "trust your passport to a foreign administration and the post office" is hardly uncommon.
I have done that dozens of times when applying for visas with embassies from many different countries. It's a quite normal process when you need a visa, no?  :huh:

Of course I have a secondary passport and my national ID card, so it's not like I am without ID documents in those cases.

IDK. The idea of an unknown number of people having free access to my passport, can photocopy it, use it etc. freaks me out a bit.

Zanza

When you are in foreign countries, the hotels often photocopy your passport as well. The immigration authorities also often have these passport scanners from M3 at the airport etc.

I just checked and my current passports have been in the embassies of Thailand, Russia, India, Sudan, Cameroon, and Nepal.

celedhring

I once lost my passport in NYC, and the NYPD told me there's actually very little a fellon could do with a stolen passport or the data in it, given how many security measures they carry. Dunno if that's true.

Tamas

Quote from: Zanza on January 10, 2017, 12:36:34 PM
When you are in foreign countries, the hotels often photocopy your passport as well. The immigration authorities also often have these passport scanners from M3 at the airport etc.

I just checked and my current passports have been in the embassies of Thailand, Russia, India, Sudan, Cameroon, and Nepal.

Yeah I was extremely reluctant to let that happen, too.

Jacob

Quote from: celedhring on January 10, 2017, 12:37:37 PM
I once lost my passport in NYC, and the NYPD told me there's actually very little a fellon could do with a stolen passport or the data in it, given how many security measures they carry. Dunno if that's true.

Back when my wife had a Chinese passport she applied for a US visa. That involved leaving her passport at the embassy and having them mail it back to her. As if by sheer coincidence our building had someone break in and steal all the mail in our building when it came back. Security measures or not, I imagine a Chinese passport with a valid US visa has some value.